Posted to alt.food.barbecue
mike mike is offline

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 16:33:34 -0800 (PST), siplasvegas1
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Does anyone have their version of the best way to prepare a holiday
>turkey, whether it be traditionally baked or the new favorite "dep
>fried". There is also the question of if you choose to deep fry is,
>should peanut oil be the only choice of frying oil to use? Other than
>basic seasoning of the bird, should you stuff it if you are frying
>it. Sounds dangerous with all of the hot oil that will be used, and
>we all know what happens when moisture is used in connection with
>extremely hot frying oil. Thanks for your suggestions in advance.
>
>Keith

Never stuff the bird if you are deep frying, it will end in disaster.
I've used canola oil with good results, and use a cajun injection
sauce. Good flavor, but not to everyone's liking. Last year we did a
roasted turkey and a smaller one deep fried.

Things to remember:

-Never use anything but a fully thawed bird that is dry. A frozen
bird will cause an oil explosion and very large fire

-Never overheat the oil, it will catch on fire

-Put the damn garden hose away, it won't put out a fire, and will make
it much worse

-Stay clear of buildings, trees, or anything else you don't want to
see go up in flames

-Lower the bird into the oil very slowely and be ready to lift it out
some if the oil comes anywhere near bubbling over

-Once it is in the oil, maintain the proper oil temp with a long
thermometer

That said, I have done about a dozen birds and never had a problem,
but I also tend to the paranoid side of safety when cooking one.