Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

On 12/3/2010 12:00 PM, mike wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 20:55:24 -0600, >
> wrote:
>
>> In >,
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My mother's turkey has turned out dry the last few years, and I have
>>> noticed that she stuffs the bird very loose. When he was alive, my
>>> dad always stuffed the bird and literally punched the stuffing into it
>>> with his fist and it was crammed in TIGHT. He swore that tight
>>> stuffing was the secret, and I've always followed it. Not every bird
>>> is perfect, but most are very moist and juicy.
>>>
>>> I'm guessing it is just like good BBQ, takes a bit of doing to get
>>> good results every time, and even then, there will be failures
>>>
>>> Anyway, everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Just makes the
>>> world a more interesting place.

>> Yeah. :-) Getting that stuffing soaked with those roasting juices is
>> pretty tasty.
>>
>> I still have not gotten around to cooking mine yet. Just have not had
>> the bloody time! I'm planning on adding ground turkey to the dressing
>> to see if I can mimic that goodness somewhat.
>>
>> I have had very good results using my electric roaster for turkey and
>> setting my time at 10 minutes per lb. Last year tho', I ended up cutting
>> one hour off the time as when I checked the turkey, it was obviously
>> done last year! Best darned bird I ever cooked. ;-d
>>
>> I bought some lemons yesterday. I want to try doing the turkey like I've
>> done lemon roasted chicken. That stuff is fantastic:
>>
>> <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/LemonRoastedChicken#>

> Those do look good!
>
> the wife got a certificate for turkey from her employeer, going to
> give brining and smoking it a try. Pork shoulder is on sale this
> week, so probably going to be doing a couple of those as well. Just
> need to find a few free days. Never tried smoking anything when it is
> below freezing out.

If wind is minimal, it's a breeze ;-). For best results, I would advise
having the cooker blocked from as much wind as possible.

I have a small patio off my kitchen, with the garage on one side, and a
breeze way at the top end of it. It is protected by wind from 3 sides.
Works great as long as its not blistery cold ( zero or below, with
some wind).

BBQ