Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Best Ways to Serve a Turkey "Baked" or "Fried"

On 12/2/2010 12:33 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2010 10:54 AM, mike wrote:
>>

>>> Things to remember:
>>>
>>> -Never use anything but a fully thawed bird that is dry. A frozen
>>> bird will cause an oil explosion and very large fire
>>>
>>> -Never overheat the oil, it will catch on fire
>>>
>>> -Put the damn garden hose away, it won't put out a fire, and will make
>>> it much worse
>>>
>>> -Stay clear of buildings, trees, or anything else you don't want to
>>> see go up in flames
>>>
>>> -Lower the bird into the oil very slowely and be ready to lift it out
>>> some if the oil comes anywhere near bubbling over
>>>
>>> -Once it is in the oil, maintain the proper oil temp with a long
>>> thermometer
>>>
>>> That said, I have done about a dozen birds and never had a problem,
>>> but I also tend to the paranoid side of safety when cooking one.

>> Good things to remember. Sometimes being paranoid is a good thing....
>>
>> BBQ

> A fire extinguisher handy is not a bad idea either. ;-)

Very true. I have had 1 non damaging grease fire in my home. Scared
the bejeezus out of me. I knew enough to not use water. I was able to
cover the pot to put it out.

It seems every year at Thanksgiving someone uses a Turkey Fryer
carelessly and loses a garage or deck because of a fire. I have not
heard of it happening this year, but I would bet it happened, somewhere...

Keeping the cooker within eye sight is very important.

BBQ