Old 29-10-2003, 11:14 PM
bbq

Default Commercial Smokers?

Jack Curry wrote:
Scott Purdie wrote:

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
things" comments.

No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people
here that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had
experience with several venders and knew enough to recommend one over
another, the pros and cons, etc...

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

Carry on.

Scott,
If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a fairly
tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your initial question drew
a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you, I think I'd have replied,
"Yeah, I guess I should have done that," instead of your "smart-asses"
response.
That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a mistake.
Can we start over?"
Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall all over
themselves trying to help you out. Keep up with the "smart-ass" remarks and
all you'll get is grief.
HTH.
Jack Curry

I googled him to see where else he has been in Usenet. I looked at
several of his posts, most of which were in a computer related subject
of usenet. The several that I looked at, it was similar to I am just
getting started in such n such programming and I am wondering 'How can I
do this or that?'

So it looks as though we all agree, he came in here looking for someone
to do his homework. He got one response detailing Dave's homework of
which was narrowed down to two vendors. Will he get all he needs from
that response to make his own decision? Perhaps, but his blinders are
preventing him from looking at several vendors and finding a vendor that
suits him best.

I put in my response

Will you to be around in 6 months willing to help others who come here
for the first time to learn more about bbq?

My guess is no. He will not be around in 6 days, much less 6 months or 6
years. He came in here and got Dave's answer to Dave's question of
which one is best for him. And hoping that Dave's homework is the answer
to his question of which is better for him(this him being the poster who
started this thread).

He doesn't appear to want to stir things up. So I guess that is the good
thing about him.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 29-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Jack Curry

Jack Schidt® wrote:
"Jack Curry" Jack-Curry wrote in message
om...
Scott Purdie wrote:
[...]

Some of us 'fall all over ourselves' for other reasons.

Jack

Jeez, Jack I had hoped you weren't gonna air our dirty laundry so soon. We
gotta suck the noobs in a little with the food before we give 'em the power
hookset on the drinkin'.
Jack Curry

Old 30-10-2003, 03:32 AM
Big Crabber

"DW Suiter" wrote in message
Hello Scott,

.. A search only gives you the hype from each company..

I chose a Lang smoker for two very good reasons; first, the well regulated
temperature, second, the price. The temperature doesn't vary 5 degrees

from
one end of my 8 footer to the other. My model #84 sells for under three

DW, I'm thinking about buying a Lang myself. Have you had any problem with
creosote? I'm wondering if I can just throw a log in when it's needed
without worrying if there is going to be too much smoke. I've got a 5'
barrel type cooker now, and find temp. regulation to be a problem.

I think most people have not seen the Lang cooker, so I'm asking you
directly about the creosote. I might just get in the truck and go buy one
next week.

Also, I think someone in Sylvester was building a similar cooker in the
80's. Is that related to Lang?

Thanks, Big

Old 30-10-2003, 08:43 AM
[email protected]

"Jack Schidt®" wrote:
[ . . . ]

Some of us 'fall all over ourselves' for other reasons.

Ah, yes. It was a woman that drove me to drink.
I never had the common decency to thank her.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Old 30-10-2003, 08:48 AM
[email protected]

"Jack Curry" Jack-Curry wrote:
[ . . . ]
We gotta suck the noobs in a little with the food before we give 'em the
power hookset on the drinkin'.

Hah! Look out if TFM weighs in on this (no pun intended).

Old 30-10-2003, 11:38 AM
DW Suiter

Hey Big Crabber,

I haven't had a problem with creosote. I burn seasoned wood. I'm sure there
has to be a certain amount of creosote even with seasoned wood. We have our
chimney brushed at home every year and get a lot of creosote out. Lang
recommends "steam cleaning" the smoking chamber when finished cooking. I've
done this, spraying water in the chamber while hot. When draining, I get a
combination of fat and smoke residue; about a bucket full, especially if I
smoke 8 or 10 butts with the other meats. The fire box is large. I start the
fire and wait until the smoke is white or close to invisible before I put
the meat on. About 35 to 45 minutes. Then, I throw a log or two on about
every hour or so. I use hickory, ash, and oak. It's pretty easy to keep the
temp at about 225.

When you open the door to the chamber, there is a lot of smoke but this has
to be. My smoker is inside a 20' trailer. I simply installed an exhaust fan
to pull the smoke out, with another window allowing fresh air in. If the
smoker is in a confined area, this is a must.

The guys at Lang are great. I went down to get the smoker and they installed
the smoker in the trailer. They welded the legs while I waited, then using a
fork lift, set it in place where I wanted it and bolted it to the frame
through the floor. They told me they can do a lot of custom work; just tell
them what you want and they will tell you if it is feasible.

I've been extremely happy with the Lang. All the meat cooks evenly at both
ends. This is what I was looking for. I didn't need all the bells and
whistles, just a good work horse. I got what I paid for. You can call and
talk to Ben or his wife Becky. They are good people and will take the time
to discuss your needs and their products with you. Other than a small home
smoker, this is the only smoker I have owned and used. In my opinion, it is
a good buy and great value for the money. Ben engineered the baffle system
which is the key to even heat distribution. The warming oven works great and
takes a full size restaurant pan in the three slots. There's room at the
bottom to place a pan of water which I occasionally do. Usually, I seal the
meat pan with aluminum foil so it won't dry out and occasionally spray the
meat with a combination of water, oil, and apple juice. Works fine.

Good Luck,

DW Suiter

Old 30-10-2003, 02:31 PM
John O

If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a fairly
tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your initial question

drew
a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you, I think I'd have replied,
"Yeah, I guess I should have done that," instead of your "smart-asses"
response.
That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a

mistake.
Can we start over?"
Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall all

over
themselves trying to help you out.

BTDT, it's true.

John O

To all you smokers....... PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 54 16-02-2009 04:48 PM
Need help with smokers sithdad Barbecue 11 05-04-2006 03:26 AM
Smokers [email protected] General Cooking 18 15-12-2005 10:55 PM
Smokers RahRah General Cooking 7 20-10-2004 12:04 PM
Roker's Smokers JaKe Barbecue 12 25-06-2004 11:02 PM