Old 29-10-2003, 03:11 AM
Scott Purdie

Default Commercial Smokers?

Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...

Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've considered
building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my favorite
local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
high-tech homemade ones.

If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please post
here.

Thanks.

-Scott

Old 29-10-2003, 05:43 AM

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:11:06 GMT, "Scott Purdie"
wrote:

If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please post
here.

A quick search on yahoo brought more than a few results...

www.southern-pride.com

www.thegrillstoreandmore.com...they're "commercial smoker/dehydrator"
units look to start at about $5400 ea.

www.smokergrille.com -they seem to deal in cookshack brand smokers.

www.southernbarbecue.com...has links to many commercial grills/smokers
available (they define "commercial" as being designed for competition
and/or restaurant use).

It should be noted that most of the commercial smokers listed are
electric. Southern pride also has gas/wood commercial rigs as well.

Search engines are amazing things...

Bob
Old 29-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Thomas Mooney

Scott Purdie wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...

Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've

considered
building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my

favorite
local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
high-tech homemade ones.

If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please

post
here.

Thanks.

-Scott

Back on June 22nd 2003, Dave Bugg posted a long message about a road trip he
had taken. Part of the road trip was to shop for commercial pits for the Q
joint he's going to open. In that message
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?T42612E56) he mentions Southern Pride and Ole
Hickory as being the two best. Another poster gave you a link to Southern
Pride's site. Here's a link to Ole Hickory's:

http://www.olehickorypits.com/

Perhaps worth noting: Ole Hickory is the one that Dave settled on. That
endorsement should be worth something.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Old 29-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Bill

Scott Purdie wrote:

Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...

Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've considered
building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my favorite
local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
high-tech homemade ones.

If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please post
here.

Thanks.

-Scott

If you are interested in used there has been one on Ebay for a while. I look at
it once and a while and dream. Then I remember I have two daughters to raise
and get through college so I figure I better stick with my real job. For now.

Old 29-10-2003, 06:13 PM
Scott Purdie

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
comments.

No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people here
that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had experience with
several venders and knew enough to recommend one over another, the pros and
cons, etc...

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

Carry on.

Old 29-10-2003, 06:21 PM
[email protected]

"Scott Purdie" wrote:
Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
things" comments.

You're welcome.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Old 29-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:13:01 GMT, "Scott Purdie"
wrote:

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
comments.

No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people here
that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had experience with
several venders and knew enough to recommend one over another, the pros and
cons, etc...

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

So which is it? Is it "all the smart-asses" or one comment from one
guy?

He answered your question, btw. He then gently pointed out that you
could have FIRST done your own homework, then asked here if you didn't
find what you were looking for.

Carry on.

Oh, we will.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho
Old 29-10-2003, 07:13 PM
[email protected]

wrote:

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
things" comments.[]
I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

So which is it? Is it "all the smart-asses" or one comment from one
guy?

He answered your question, btw. He then gently pointed out that you
could have FIRST done your own homework, then asked here if you didn't
find what you were looking for.

Speaking as one smart-ass to another (not necessarily in this context), I
would have to say that this is one of YOUR gentler replies, too. Hope
springs eternal!

Old 29-10-2003, 07:28 PM
Default User

Scott Purdie wrote:

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
comments.

That's a good way to keep getting information from a group.

No doubt. Since this is a bbq list

No, it is a usenet group.

and there seem to be many people here
that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had experience with
several venders and knew enough to recommend one over another, the pros and
cons, etc...

Had you asked this after doing a little research and showing what you
found, then that would be great.

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

Oh, boo hoo.

This is not your personal help desk. People give advice that they think
will be useful. Telling you to get off your lazy ass and go look for
yourself is GOOD advice.

I suggest you get a new attitude, fast. A sincere apology would be a
good start in keeping you out of killfiles.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 29-10-2003, 08:00 PM
bbq

Scott Purdie wrote:

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

Your wrong. He gave you several sites with which you could check out.
This individual is a 'regular' on this newsgroup and has offered much
information to the group in the past.

This was your first post to this group. If you stick around, you will
find this to be a very good group of people.

Here is a link to the bbq faq.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/

Read, learn and enjoy.

Welcome to the group.

Will you to be around in 6 months willing to help others who come here
for the first time to learn more about bbq?

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Old 29-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Monroe, of course...

In article . net,
"Scott Purdie" wrote:

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
comments.

Sure thing , Scott. Anytime you're re-infected with the stupids, you
can always get a guiding pointer from us.
You can do my homework for me someday, no?

monroe(google first,ask dumb questions second)
Old 29-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Jack Curry

Scott Purdie wrote:
Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
things" comments.

No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people
here that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had
experience with several venders and knew enough to recommend one over
another, the pros and cons, etc...

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

Carry on.

Scott,
If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a fairly
tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your initial question drew
a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you, I think I'd have replied,
"Yeah, I guess I should have done that," instead of your "smart-asses"
response.
That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a mistake.
Can we start over?"
Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall all over
themselves trying to help you out. Keep up with the "smart-ass" remarks and
all you'll get is grief.
HTH.
Jack Curry

Old 29-10-2003, 10:47 PM
DW Suiter

Hello Scott,

It's apparent you are looking for responses from people who have used
different smokers. A search only gives you the hype from each company..

I chose a Lang smoker for two very good reasons; first, the well regulated
temperature, second, the price. The temperature doesn't vary 5 degrees from
one end of my 8 footer to the other. My model #84 sells for under three
thousand dollars, with a warming oven over the fire box. Don't know what you
had in mind for your restaurant but I wanted pure smoke cooking, no gas or
electric. I am more than pleased with the Lang.

Good Luck,

DW Suiter

"Scott Purdie" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...

Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've

considered
building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my

favorite
local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
high-tech homemade ones.

If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please

post
here.

Thanks.

-Scott

To all you smokers....... PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 54 16-02-2009 04:48 PM
Need help with smokers sithdad Barbecue 11 05-04-2006 03:26 AM
Smokers [email protected] General Cooking 18 15-12-2005 10:55 PM
Smokers RahRah General Cooking 7 20-10-2004 12:04 PM
Roker's Smokers JaKe Barbecue 12 25-06-2004 11:02 PM