Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Need help with smokers

I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I am not
sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen the box
types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55 gal. drum
lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg shapes). I
guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of
each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts, whole
turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon. Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sithdad wrote:
:: I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I
am not
:: sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen
the box
:: types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55
gal. drum
:: lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg
shapes). I
:: guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and
cons of
:: each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts,
whole
:: turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon.
Thanks.

It pretty much depends on your price range.

Here's what I have on my patio:
www.stumpssmokers.com
I have the GF 222 CM. Used mostly for larger volume smoking. It's an
offset smoker with vertical racks. Not for high temperature grilling.
It's also a great smoker for BBQ competitions.
www.kamado.com
I have a #1, two #3s and a #5. Nice smokers, but kind of limited in
volume compared to the offsets and verticals. Great also for searing
steaks @ 700 to 800+° F and also high temp pizza cooking. Versatile
but heavy. The heaviness helps hold in the heat.

BOB

--
Raw Meat Should NOT Have An Ingredients List

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote:
> sithdad wrote:
> :: I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I
> am not
> :: sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen
> the box
> :: types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55
> gal. drum
> :: lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg
> shapes). I
> :: guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and
> cons of
> :: each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts,
> whole
> :: turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon.
> Thanks.
>
> It pretty much depends on your price range.
>
> Here's what I have on my patio:
> www.stumpssmokers.com
> I have the GF 222 CM. Used mostly for larger volume smoking. It's an
> offset smoker with vertical racks. Not for high temperature grilling.
> It's also a great smoker for BBQ competitions.
> www.kamado.com
> I have a #1, two #3s and a #5. Nice smokers, but kind of limited in
> volume compared to the offsets and verticals. Great also for searing
> steaks @ 700 to 800+° F and also high temp pizza cooking. Versatile
> but heavy. The heaviness helps hold in the heat.

sithdad doesn't indicate his prior experience. That would be helpful.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sithdad wrote:

>I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I am not
>sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen the box
>types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55 gal. drum
>lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg shapes). I
>guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of
>each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts, whole
>turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon. Thanks.

If this is your first smoker, get a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). It's
forgiving, yet capable of yeilding world class results. The only reason
to get something bigger is if you regularly plan to cook more than the
WSM's capacity and even then some folks just buy multiple WSM's. The
added bonus is the WSM website ( http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ )
which is an excellent resouce.

JD
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JD said

> sithdad wrote:
>
>>I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but
>>I am not sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I

> If this is your first smoker, get a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM).

Seconded. The WSM make some great Q. Great for a beginner.

--
Better living through smoking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sithdad wrote:
> I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I am not
> sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen the box
> types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55 gal. drum
> lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg shapes). I
> guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of
> each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts, whole
> turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon. Thanks.

What I've had for almost a year now, and love, is the CharGriller
SuperPro w/ SFB! It can handle all of your plans for a smoker (Not sure
about the bacon.) I've made ribs, roasts ("Quote", "un-qoute" London
Broil- Read- roasts, whole chickens, and more. The results have made me
extremely popular with neighbors, friends, and family! It can be used
as a grill, w/ direct or indirect heat, and an adjustable charcoal
tray- low to high heat, or as a true smoker, using the SFB. All will
make the best meat you've ever had!!
I went from a gas grill to my CharGriller, and have never looked back!

Good luck,

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I have been using a Weber 18" kettle grill for about a year and a half, now.
I have used it to make ribs, briskets, london broil, whole turkeys, and some
veggies. I have 6 people in my family, but when my side of the family gets
together for sunday dinner there are 13 of us. I run in to a problem trying
to fit turkeys or large cuts of meat or trying making enough ribs to feed
my 6 people in this grill. I am afraid that since the food takes up so much
of the grill space that I am not really cooking it indirectly. Thanks for
everyones responses so far. I appreciate the help.

"sithdad" > wrote in message
ink.net...
>I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I am not
>sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen the box
>types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55 gal. drum
>lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg shapes).
>I guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and cons
>of each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts, whole
>turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon. Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sithdad wrote:
> I am interested in purchasing a charcoal/wood burning smoker, but I am not
> sure what sure what type is best suited to my needs. I have seen the box
> types (kind of looks like a safe), the drum type (looks like a 55 gal. drum
> lying on it's side, and the cylindrical (Weber and Big Green Egg shapes). I
> guess what I want to know is what everyone thinks are the pros and cons of
> each type. I plan on using it to smoke ribs, briskets, roasts, whole
> turkeys and chickens and perhaps I might try making my own bacon. Thanks.

Get a weber smoky mountain

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

sithdad wrote:
> I have been using a Weber 18" kettle grill for about a year and a half, now.
> I have used it to make ribs, briskets, london broil, whole turkeys, and some
> veggies. I have 6 people in my family, but when my side of the family gets
> together for sunday dinner there are 13 of us. I run in to a problem trying
> to fit turkeys or large cuts of meat or trying making enough ribs to feed
> my 6 people in this grill. I am afraid that since the food takes up so much
> of the grill space that I am not really cooking it indirectly. Thanks for
> everyones responses so far. I appreciate the help.

If your current budget is too small for a Weber Smoky Mountain, and you
want to dink around with minor mods, the $40 Brinkman can do a good
job, too. These smokers mainly need airflow mods, and a grate or
something to get the coals up off the floor.

Out of the box, these units suck. Cut/drill a few holes, and they rise
up to a performance level I'll call doesn't suck.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <N43Yf.3738$zk4.3285@trnddc05>,
says...

> If this is your first smoker, get a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). It's
> forgiving, yet capable of yeilding world class results. The only reason
> to get something bigger is if you regularly plan to cook more than the
> WSM's capacity and even then some folks just buy multiple WSM's. The
> added bonus is the WSM website (
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ )
> which is an excellent resouce.
>
> JD

Makes me the fourth to recommend this one. I bought it as my first
smoker last year at about this time and I love it. Forgiving, flexible,
and it can double as a charcoal grill in a pinch. The VWB site is a
great resource - recipes, how-to's, videos. Exactly what I needed to get
started.

--
John
kc2kth

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"John L" > wrote in message
.net...
> In article <N43Yf.3738$zk4.3285@trnddc05>,
> says...
>
>> If this is your first smoker, get a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). It's
>> forgiving, yet capable of yeilding world class results. The only reason
>> to get something bigger is if you regularly plan to cook more than the
>> WSM's capacity and even then some folks just buy multiple WSM's. The
>> added bonus is the WSM website (
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ )
>> which is an excellent resouce.
>>
>> JD
>>

> Makes me the fourth to recommend this one. I bought it as my first
> smoker last year at about this time and I love it. Forgiving, flexible,
> and it can double as a charcoal grill in a pinch. The VWB site is a
> great resource - recipes, how-to's, videos. Exactly what I needed to get
> started.

And they're a friendly bunch at the VWB too...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
> sithdad wrote:
>
>>I have been using a Weber 18" kettle grill for about a year and a half, now.
>>I have used it to make ribs, briskets, london broil, whole turkeys, and some
>>veggies. I have 6 people in my family, but when my side of the family gets
>>together for sunday dinner there are 13 of us. I run in to a problem trying
>>to fit turkeys or large cuts of meat or trying making enough ribs to feed
>>my 6 people in this grill. I am afraid that since the food takes up so much
>>of the grill space that I am not really cooking it indirectly. Thanks for
>>everyones responses so far. I appreciate the help.
>>

> If your current budget is too small for a Weber Smoky Mountain, and you
> want to dink around with minor mods, the $40 Brinkman can do a good
> job, too. These smokers mainly need airflow mods, and a grate or
> something to get the coals up off the floor.
>
> Out of the box, these units suck. Cut/drill a few holes, and they rise
> up to a performance level I'll call doesn't suck.
>
> -John O

I'll second that. I've had 3 of those cheap bastids and nothing but the
best BBQ came off them.

Run 'em, Rust 'em, Toss 'em.

BBQ is about taking a tough-ass cut of meat and making it delectable.

I can make your mouth water with a pile of rocks, a chainsaw, and a
tough-ass chunk of cow.

--
TFM®

To all you smokers....... PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 54 16-02-2009 05:48 PM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Beer 0 07-05-2006 03:23 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Wine 0 07-05-2006 03:18 AM
Smokers [email protected] General Cooking 18 15-12-2005 11:55 PM
Smokers RahRah General Cooking 7 20-10-2004 12:04 PM