Default Smokers

Is there a NG for the art of smoking? Brisket, ribs, etc. or is it
sometimes included in this one.
Thanks,
HJ
Mark D

Hi HJ, Yes, there is one. Alt.food.barbecue
I also privately emailed you a list with lots of good info. Enjoy! Mark
D.

Wavy G

Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin', we're gonna do what they say
can't be done. We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there.
I'm eastbound, just watch ol' " run.

>Is there a NG for the art of smoking? Brisket, ribs, etc. or is it
>sometimes included in this one.
> Thanks,
> HJ

alt.quit.smoking.support

Your'e welcome.

traveler

I disagree with Bubba. I think the folks at alt.food.barbecue are assholes.
If you top-post like this or ask a question they don't like or disagree with
them, all you get is arrogant attitude. There is some good info there, but
there is a price to be paid dealing with them.

"Bubba" > wrote in message

>>Is there a NG for the art of smoking? Brisket, ribs, etc. or is it
>>sometimes included in this one.
>> Thanks,
>> HJ
>>

> alt.food.barbecue Good folks there...kind an wise.
> Good luck!
>
> Bubba
>
> --
> You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

sf

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:30:44 -0700, traveler wrote:

> I disagree with Bubba. I think the folks at alt.food.barbecue are assholes.
> If you top-post like this or ask a question they don't like or disagree with
> them, all you get is arrogant attitude. There is some good info there, but
> there is a price to be paid dealing with them.

They certainly are not easy to like... but it's more because they are
so narrow minded about what BBQ means to them. God forbid you should
label their term "grill" as BBQ.

Top posting is another issue - I'm a habitual (or obnoxious) top
poster, so I know what it feels like to be dismissed just because you
top post.
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

> sf > wrote:

> God forbid you should
> label their term "grill" as BBQ.

Well I wouldn't worry too much about that group.

After seeing it mentioned in this thread I decided to mosey on over and
check it out.

73 posts in total on the server, some going back to November of last
year.

A quick glance at the subject lines leads me to believe that fourteen
of those posts had something to do with cooking or BBQuing.

The rest were your run of the mill sex ads.

Considering that this group probably gets about fourteen posts per hour
and that group seems to be getting one post every fourteen days I
wouldn't exactly look to it as a serious source for information, or
consider it a hotbed of activity.
Phred

In article >,
SHIVER ME TIMBERS > wrote:
>> sf > wrote:

>> God forbid you should label their term "grill" as BBQ.

>Well I wouldn't worry too much about that group.
>
>After seeing it mentioned in this thread I decided to mosey on over and
>check it out.
>
>73 posts in total on the server, some going back to November of last
>year.
>
>A quick glance at the subject lines leads me to believe that fourteen
>of those posts had something to do with cooking or BBQuing.
>
>The rest were your run of the mill sex ads.
>
>Considering that this group probably gets about fourteen posts per hour
>and that group seems to be getting one post every fourteen days I
>wouldn't exactly look to it as a serious source for information, or
>consider it a hotbed of activity.

Eh? I thought you just said it was nearly *all* about sex?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Shaun aRe

"traveler" > wrote in message

> I disagree with Bubba. I think the folks at alt.food.barbecue are

assholes.
> If you top-post like this or ask a question they don't like or disagree

with
> them, all you get is arrogant attitude. There is some good info there, but
> there is a price to be paid dealing with them.

Why you top posting MoFo STOP TOP POSTING YOU E-JIT! Don't you realise just
how ANNOYING, WROMNG, STUPID, IMBECILLIC AND CHILDISH IT IS?!?!?

TYVVMIA.

HTH.

HAVVND.

Shaun aRe - Note, no: alt.food.barbecue in da groups line LOL! ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

> wrote in message ...
> Is there a NG for the art of smoking? Brisket, ribs, etc. or is it
> sometimes included in this one.
> Thanks,
> HJ

Why not experiment? - I only smoked food 2 times so far (last year, more to
come soon!), in a home made smoker (was based on an old 'kettle' type BBQ),
based on an idea I saw in one TV show. First I smoked fresh trout, and it
was <drool> *delicious* <drool>, then I smoked a heap of my hot peppers
drool> *delicious* <drool>. I used local oak wood from windfall, mixed with
cherry wood from a tree we had to have felled on our allotment.

There are heaps of web-sites that explain: How to easily construct different
types of h/made smokers, the differences between hot smoking, cold smoking,
or 'in-between' smoking, different wood choices for different tastes and
food stuffs etc.

Might just give you enough to go on, to inspire you to experiment!

Mind you, I am a tinkerer by nature - virtually every time I cook is an
experiment ',;~}~

There's also some god information on smoking and curing meats and fish etc.
in one of Hugh Fernley Wittingstall's books, the name of which escapes me...
maybe one of the River Cottage series...

Shaun aRe

Edwin Pawlowski

"traveler" > wrote in message

> I disagree with Bubba. I think the folks at alt.food.barbecue are
> assholes.
> If you top-post like this or ask a question they don't like or disagree
> with them, all you get is arrogant attitude. There is some good info
> there, but there is a price to be paid dealing with them.

Like all newsgroups, there are a few assholes. Like all generalizations,
yours is also incorrect.

Bubba

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

>"traveler" > wrote in message
>

>>I disagree with Bubba. I think the folks at alt.food.barbecue are
>>assholes.
>>If you top-post like this or ask a question they don't like or disagree
>>with them, all you get is arrogant attitude. There is some good info
>>there, but there is a price to be paid dealing with them.
>>

>Like all newsgroups, there are a few assholes. Like all generalizations,
>yours is also incorrect.

Hmmmmmmm....is that generalization also incorrect??? ;-)

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

kilikini

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "traveler" > wrote in message
>>
>> I disagree with Bubba. I think the folks at alt.food.barbecue are
>> assholes.
>> If you top-post like this or ask a question they don't like or
>> disagree with them, all you get is arrogant attitude. There is some
>> good info there, but there is a price to be paid dealing with them.
>>

> Like all newsgroups, there are a few assholes. Like all
> generalizations, yours is also incorrect.

I've been in alt.food.barbecue for, gosh, I don't know, 4 or 5 years? I've
learned quite a lot and have made lifelong friends - even met my husband in
there. It's not a bad group of people. Follow Usenet rules and you're more
than welcome.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking
94782747@hw#harqj$jh!f.com

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:39:17 -0600, BayouSmoker >
wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:39:09 GMT, wrote:
>
>>Is there a NG for the art of smoking?

>As others have noted, alt.food.barbecue is the place on Usenet. On
>the web, I have found lots of good smoking tips at

http://www.barbecuen.com/

Go to alt.smokers

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Peter Huebner

In article >,
says...
wrote:

> >Is there a NG for the art of smoking?

> As others have noted, alt.food.barbecue is the place on Usenet. On
> the web, I have found lots of good smoking tips at

http://www.barbecuen.com/

I'd be interested to learn more. We are pretty crazy about smoked meats in this
household, alas, all I have is a hot smoker that I use to prepare fish from
time to time. I'd love to have a cold_smokehouse, but it seems to be way over
the top for just us.

Incidentally, does anybody have a receipe for Kassler, the pickling and smoking
of? Most German butchers will NOT be drawn on that secret.

-Peter

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack

Peter Huebner > wrote:

> Incidentally, does anybody have a receipe for Kassler, the pickling and
> smoking of? Most German butchers will NOT be drawn on that secret.

If you read German, see
<http://www.onkelheinz.de/wurstseite2.htm#Kasseler%20Rippenspeer>.

Victor

To all you smokers....... PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 54 16-02-2009 05:48 PM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Beer 0 07-05-2006 03:23 AM
BIG DRUM SMOKERS BDS Wine 0 07-05-2006 03:18 AM
Need help with smokers sithdad Barbecue 11 05-04-2006 03:26 AM
Smokers RahRah General Cooking 7 20-10-2004 12:04 PM