Scott Purdie

Default Commercial Smokers?

Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...

Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've considered
building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my favorite
local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
high-tech homemade ones.

If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please post
here.

Thanks.

-Scott

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 03:11:06 GMT, "Scott Purdie"
> wrote:

>If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please post
>here.

A quick search on yahoo brought more than a few results...

www.southern-pride.com

www.thegrillstoreandmore.com...they're "commercial smoker/dehydrator"
units look to start at about $5400 ea.

www.smokergrille.com -they seem to deal in cookshack brand smokers.

www.southernbarbecue.com...has links to many commercial grills/smokers
available (they define "commercial" as being designed for competition
and/or restaurant use).

It should be noted that most of the commercial smokers listed are
electric. Southern pride also has gas/wood commercial rigs as well.

Search engines are amazing things...

Bob
Thomas Mooney

Scott Purdie > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've

considered
> building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my

favorite
> local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
> available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
> high-tech homemade ones.
>
> If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please

post
> here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Scott

Back on June 22nd 2003, Dave Bugg posted a long message about a road trip he
had taken. Part of the road trip was to shop for commercial pits for the Q
joint he's going to open. In that message
(http://makeashorterlink.com/?T42612E56) he mentions Southern Pride and Ole
Hickory as being the two best. Another poster gave you a link to Southern
Pride's site. Here's a link to Ole Hickory's:

http://www.olehickorypits.com/

Perhaps worth noting: Ole Hickory is the one that Dave settled on. That
endorsement should be worth something.

--
TFM3

Note: Spam-resistant e-mail address

Bill

Scott Purdie wrote:

> Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've considered
> building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my favorite
> local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
> available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
> high-tech homemade ones.
>
> If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please post
> here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Scott

If you are interested in used there has been one on Ebay for a while. I look at
it once and a while and dream. Then I remember I have two daughters to raise
and get through college so I figure I better stick with my real job. For now.

Scott Purdie

Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
comments.

No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people here
that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had experience with
several venders and knew enough to recommend one over another, the pros and
cons, etc...

I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
knowledgable folks.

Carry on.

Scott Purdie

Thanks, Tom. Exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.

"Scott Purdie" > wrote:
> Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
> things" comments.

You're welcome.

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
Kevin S. Wilson

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:13:01 GMT, "Scott Purdie"
> wrote:

>Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
>comments.
>
>No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people here
>that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had experience with
>several venders and knew enough to recommend one over another, the pros and
>cons, etc...
>
>I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
>knowledgable folks.

So which is it? Is it "all the smart-asses" or one comment from one
guy?

He answered your question, btw. He then gently pointed out that you
could have FIRST done your own homework, then asked here if you didn't
find what you were looking for.

>Carry on.

Oh, we will.

--
Kevin S. Wilson
Tech Writer at a University Somewhere in Idaho

Kevin S. Wilson > wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:13:01 GMT, "Scott Purdie"
> > wrote:
>
> >Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
> >things" comments.[]
> >I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
> >knowledgable folks.

> So which is it? Is it "all the smart-asses" or one comment from one
> guy?
>
> He answered your question, btw. He then gently pointed out that you
> could have FIRST done your own homework, then asked here if you didn't
> find what you were looking for.

Speaking as one smart-ass to another (not necessarily in this context), I
would have to say that this is one of YOUR gentler replies, too. Hope
springs eternal!

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"

Default User

Scott Purdie wrote:

> Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
> comments.

That's a good way to keep getting information from a group.

> No doubt. Since this is a bbq list

No, it is a usenet group.

> and there seem to be many people here
> that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had experience with
> several venders and knew enough to recommend one over another, the pros and
> cons, etc...

Had you asked this after doing a little research and showing what you
found, then that would be great.

> I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
> knowledgable folks.

Oh, boo hoo.

This is not your personal help desk. People give advice that they think
will be useful. Telling you to get off your lazy ass and go look for
yourself is GOOD advice.

I suggest you get a new attitude, fast. A sincere apology would be a
good start in keeping you out of killfiles.

Brian Rodenborn
bbq

Scott Purdie wrote:

> I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
> knowledgable folks.

Your wrong. He gave you several sites with which you could check out.
This individual is a 'regular' on this newsgroup and has offered much
information to the group in the past.

This was your first post to this group. If you stick around, you will
find this to be a very good group of people.

Here is a link to the bbq faq.

http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/

Read, learn and enjoy.

Welcome to the group.

Will you to be around in 6 months willing to help others who come here
for the first time to learn more about bbq?

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Monroe, of course...

In article . net>,
"Scott Purdie" > wrote:

> Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing things"
> comments.

Sure thing , Scott. Anytime you're re-infected with the stupids, you
can always get a guiding pointer from us.
You can do my homework for me someday, no?

monroe(google first,ask dumb questions second)
Jack Curry

Scott Purdie wrote:
> Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
> things" comments.
>
> No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people
> here that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had
> experience with several venders and knew enough to recommend one over
> another, the pros and cons, etc...
>
> I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
> knowledgable folks.
>
> Carry on.

Scott,
If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a fairly
tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your initial question drew
a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you, I think I'd have replied,
"Yeah, I guess I should have done that," instead of your "smart-asses"
response.
That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a mistake.
Can we start over?"
Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall all over
themselves trying to help you out. Keep up with the "smart-ass" remarks and
all you'll get is grief.
HTH.
Jack Curry

DW Suiter

Hello Scott,

It's apparent you are looking for responses from people who have used
different smokers. A search only gives you the hype from each company..

I chose a Lang smoker for two very good reasons; first, the well regulated
temperature, second, the price. The temperature doesn't vary 5 degrees from
one end of my 8 footer to the other. My model #84 sells for under three
thousand dollars, with a warming oven over the fire box. Don't know what you
had in mind for your restaurant but I wanted pure smoke cooking, no gas or
electric. I am more than pleased with the Lang.

Good Luck,

DW Suiter

"Scott Purdie" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Hello all. I've been a lurker for a while...
>
> Anyway, I'm looking for different commercial grade smokers. I've

considered
> building one, but that just doesn't seem feasible. Going to all my

favorite
> local bbq joints, there seem to be a variety of commercial smokers
> available -- at least I'm assuming they're commercial units and not
> high-tech homemade ones.
>
> If you know of any companies that make smokers for restaurants, please

post
> here.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Scott

bbq

Jack Curry wrote:
> Scott Purdie wrote:
>
>>Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
>>things" comments.
>>
>>No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people
>>here that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had
>>experience with several venders and knew enough to recommend one over
>>another, the pros and cons, etc...
>>
>>I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
>>knowledgable folks.
>>
>>Carry on.

> Scott,
> If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a fairly
> tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your initial question drew
> a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you, I think I'd have replied,
> "Yeah, I guess I should have done that," instead of your "smart-asses"
> response.
> That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
> Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a mistake.
> Can we start over?"
> Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall all over
> themselves trying to help you out. Keep up with the "smart-ass" remarks and
> all you'll get is grief.
> HTH.
> Jack Curry

I googled him to see where else he has been in Usenet. I looked at
several of his posts, most of which were in a computer related subject
of usenet. The several that I looked at, it was similar to I am just
getting started in such n such programming and I am wondering 'How can I
do this or that?'

So it looks as though we all agree, he came in here looking for someone
to do his homework. He got one response detailing Dave's homework of
which was narrowed down to two vendors. Will he get all he needs from
that response to make his own decision? Perhaps, but his blinders are
preventing him from looking at several vendors and finding a vendor that
suits him best.

I put in my response

Will you to be around in 6 months willing to help others who come here
for the first time to learn more about bbq?

My guess is no. He will not be around in 6 days, much less 6 months or 6
years. He came in here and got Dave's answer to Dave's question of
which one is best for him. And hoping that Dave's homework is the answer
to his question of which is better for him(this him being the poster who
started this thread).

He doesn't appear to want to stir things up. So I guess that is the good
thing about him.

Happy Q'en,
BBQ

Jack Curry

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote in message
> om...
>> Scott Purdie wrote:
>>> Thanks to all the smart-asses with the "search engines are amazing
>>> things" comments.
>>>
>>> No doubt. Since this is a bbq list and there seem to be many people
>>> here that know their stuff, I was thinking maybe a few people had
>>> experience with several venders and knew enough to recommend one
>>> over another, the pros and cons, etc...
>>>
>>> I now realize that the search engine comment guy is not one of those
>>> knowledgable folks.
>>>
>>> Carry on.

>> Scott,
>> If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a
>> fairly tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your
>> initial question drew a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you,
>> I think I'd have replied, "Yeah, I guess I should have done that,"
>> instead of your "smart-asses" response.
>> That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
>> Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a
>> mistake. Can we start over?"
>> Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall
>> all over themselves trying to help you out. Keep up with the
>> "smart-ass" remarks and all you'll get is grief.
>> HTH.
>> Jack Curry
>>

> Some of us 'fall all over ourselves' for other reasons.
>
> Jack

Jeez, Jack I had hoped you weren't gonna air our dirty laundry so soon. We
gotta suck the noobs in a little with the food before we give 'em the power
hookset on the drinkin'.
Jack Curry

Big Crabber

"DW Suiter" > wrote in message
> Hello Scott,

.. A search only gives you the hype from each company..

> I chose a Lang smoker for two very good reasons; first, the well regulated
> temperature, second, the price. The temperature doesn't vary 5 degrees

from
> one end of my 8 footer to the other. My model #84 sells for under three

DW, I'm thinking about buying a Lang myself. Have you had any problem with
creosote? I'm wondering if I can just throw a log in when it's needed
without worrying if there is going to be too much smoke. I've got a 5'
barrel type cooker now, and find temp. regulation to be a problem.

I think most people have not seen the Lang cooker, so I'm asking you
directly about the creosote. I might just get in the truck and go buy one
next week.

Also, I think someone in Sylvester was building a similar cooker in the
80's. Is that related to Lang?

Thanks, Big

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote:
>[ . . . ]
>
> Some of us 'fall all over ourselves' for other reasons.

Ah, yes. It was a woman that drove me to drink.
I never had the common decency to thank her.

"Jack Curry" <Jack-Curry > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> We gotta suck the noobs in a little with the food before we give 'em the
> power hookset on the drinkin'.

Hah! Look out if TFM weighs in on this (no pun intended).

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley
www.boonchoo.com
"Giving violent criminals a government guarantee that their intended
victims are defenseless is bad public policy."
- John Ross, "Unintended Consequences"
DW Suiter

Hey Big Crabber,

I haven't had a problem with creosote. I burn seasoned wood. I'm sure there
has to be a certain amount of creosote even with seasoned wood. We have our
chimney brushed at home every year and get a lot of creosote out. Lang
recommends "steam cleaning" the smoking chamber when finished cooking. I've
done this, spraying water in the chamber while hot. When draining, I get a
combination of fat and smoke residue; about a bucket full, especially if I
smoke 8 or 10 butts with the other meats. The fire box is large. I start the
fire and wait until the smoke is white or close to invisible before I put
the meat on. About 35 to 45 minutes. Then, I throw a log or two on about
every hour or so. I use hickory, ash, and oak. It's pretty easy to keep the
temp at about 225.

When you open the door to the chamber, there is a lot of smoke but this has
to be. My smoker is inside a 20' trailer. I simply installed an exhaust fan
to pull the smoke out, with another window allowing fresh air in. If the
smoker is in a confined area, this is a must.

The guys at Lang are great. I went down to get the smoker and they installed
the smoker in the trailer. They welded the legs while I waited, then using a
fork lift, set it in place where I wanted it and bolted it to the frame
through the floor. They told me they can do a lot of custom work; just tell
them what you want and they will tell you if it is feasible.

I've been extremely happy with the Lang. All the meat cooks evenly at both
ends. This is what I was looking for. I didn't need all the bells and
whistles, just a good work horse. I got what I paid for. You can call and
talk to Ben or his wife Becky. They are good people and will take the time
to discuss your needs and their products with you. Other than a small home
smoker, this is the only smoker I have owned and used. In my opinion, it is
a good buy and great value for the money. Ben engineered the baffle system
which is the key to even heat distribution. The warming oven works great and
takes a full size restaurant pan in the three slots. There's room at the
bottom to place a pan of water which I occasionally do. Usually, I seal the
meat pan with aluminum foil so it won't dry out and occasionally spray the
meat with a combination of water, oil, and apple juice. Works fine.

Good Luck,

DW Suiter

"Big Crabber" > wrote in message

> "DW Suiter" > wrote in message
> > Hello Scott,

> . A search only gives you the hype from each company..
> >
> > I chose a Lang smoker for two very good reasons; first, the well

regulated
> > temperature, second, the price. The temperature doesn't vary 5 degrees

> from
> > one end of my 8 footer to the other. My model #84 sells for under three

> DW, I'm thinking about buying a Lang myself. Have you had any problem

with
> creosote? I'm wondering if I can just throw a log in when it's needed
> without worrying if there is going to be too much smoke. I've got a 5'
> barrel type cooker now, and find temp. regulation to be a problem.
>
> I think most people have not seen the Lang cooker, so I'm asking you
> directly about the creosote. I might just get in the truck and go buy one
> next week.
>
> Also, I think someone in Sylvester was building a similar cooker in the
> 80's. Is that related to Lang?
>
> Thanks, Big

John O

> If you've lurked here for awhile, you must have noticed that it's a fairly
> tough room and most of the regulars brook no BS. Your initial question

drew
> a few "Google it" replies, and if I were you, I think I'd have replied,
> "Yeah, I guess I should have done that," instead of your "smart-asses"
> response.
> That's what's gotten you hauled over the coals.
> Here's a suggestion for you. Try saying, "OK, I might have made a

mistake.
> Can we start over?"
> Do something like that and you'll find most of these guys will fall all

over
> themselves trying to help you out.

BTDT, it's true.

John O

To all you smokers....... PeterLucas[_5_] General Cooking 54 16-02-2009 05:48 PM
Need help with smokers sithdad Barbecue 11 05-04-2006 03:26 AM
Smokers [email protected] General Cooking 18 15-12-2005 11:55 PM
Smokers RahRah General Cooking 7 20-10-2004 12:04 PM
Roker's Smokers JaKe Barbecue 12 25-06-2004 11:02 PM