Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
lemons.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

wrote

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
lemons.

If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest
flavor more than ever. And make sure you only grate
the yellow part, none of the white.

nancy

Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

wrote

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
lemons.

If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest
flavor more than ever. And make sure you only grate
the yellow part, none of the white.

nancy

You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly, right? See
there, I'm learning again.:-)
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Old 07-04-2006, 02:10 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 04:11:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
lemons.

I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh lemons,
both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________

Old 07-04-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" wrote in message
news

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

wrote

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy

some
lemons.

If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest
flavor more than ever. And make sure you only grate
the yellow part, none of the white.

nancy

You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly, right? See
there, I'm learning again.:-)
--
Lefty

You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
coriander/cilantro g

Chris in Pearland, TX

Old 07-04-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" wrote

"Lefty" wrote

You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly, right? See
there, I'm learning again.:-)

You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
coriander/cilantro g

(laugh!) That was a good one.

nancy

Old 07-04-2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
coriander/cilantro g

Chris in Pearland, TX

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

Sandy

Old 07-04-2006, 02:45 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

wrote

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

nancy

Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
lemons.

I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh lemons,
both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.

That's true... if you're not going to use real lemons may as well serve
lemon jello with cool whip.

Sheldon

Old 07-04-2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

wrote

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

nancy

Perhaps ya'll would like to join CCAC (Concerned Citizens Against Cilantro).
I'm a card-carrying member!

Chris in Pearland, TX

Old 07-04-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:11:53 +0000, Chris Marksberry wrote:

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

wrote

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

nancy

Perhaps ya'll would like to join CCAC (Concerned Citizens Against Cilantro).
I'm a card-carrying member!

Chris in Pearland, TX

Are taste bud the second thing to go or is the first. LOL

Are pears in season yet?

Cilantro rules!!

Old 07-04-2006, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

You are so not alone, sistah.

Perhaps ya'll would like to join CCAC (Concerned Citizens Against
Cilantro).
I'm a card-carrying member!

You know, I like that. CCAC is sorta like the noise I
make when I taste the stuff. We could warn people about
dishes with cilantro, point them out in our weekly newsletter,
Soap Dish. The guacamole at Jose's? Warning, it's a Soap Dish.
Like that.

nancy

Old 07-04-2006, 04:08 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

wrote

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

I always thought it tastes more like copper. I like it. My wife does not.