Old 07-04-2006, 04:31 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 08:05:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Freight Train
Jones?

Sheldon wrote:
snip whatever

you're nasty

I saw you entertaining those nasty troll posts

you was a part of it

SNICKER

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________

Old 07-04-2006, 04:58 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
"Lefty" wrote in message
news
"Nancy Young" wrote in message

wrote

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie
filling? Do you have to do that? I have a whole bottle of lemon
juice. I'd rather use that than buy some lemons.

If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest flavor
more than ever. And make sure you only grate the yellow part,
none of the white.

nancy

You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly,
right? See there, I'm learning again.:-) -- Lefty

You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
coriander/cilantro g

Exactly. It's a genetic thing and not simply an opinion. A significant
percentage of the world's population tastes cilantro as "soapy," me
among them.

People tell me to keep trying it so that it won't taste so bad in the
future. My attitude is "I don't like it. Why would I force myself to eat
something that tastes really bad to me? So it tastes *less* bad? Excuse
me...?"

A couple drops of dish detergent or hand cleaner will work as well if
you don't have bar soap in the house.

As for the pie, you want the lemon oil that lives in the zest. It adds
depth to the lemon flavor.

Pastorio
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 06 Apr 2006 04:11:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh lemons,
both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@

Although he is quite fond of me, I'm pretty sure DH would trade me in
if I ever presented him with a Lemon Meringue Pie made with bottled
juice and no lemon rind. Finely grated rind is essential for a good
lemon pie. That bottled lemon juice is just nasty stuff...almost as
yucky as cilantro.
Nancy T

Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.
Funnily enough, if I want something to taste like lemon I use lemons. I was
beginning to think that sort of rationale had gone out with the ark until I
read your post. It has restored my faith in lemon meringue pie lovers.

28.19...

Old 07-04-2006, 03:06 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"Viviane" wrote:

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

--
Jenn Ridley :

Old 07-04-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Viviane wrote:

Funnily enough, if I want something to taste like lemon I use lemons.

slaps forehead Why didn't think of that? G

Exactly. Use lemons for a lemony taste. Great idea.

I dimly recall some orange-flavored drink commercials years ago that
boasted that their part-juice tasted better than plain orange juice
because it was loaded with "flavor enhancers." Like a reviewer once said
about McDonald's milkshakes, "Taste better than the real thing."

Ya gotta wonder if everybody in the production and promotion lines
believe that stuff.

Pastorio
Old 08-04-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri 07 Apr 2006 07:06:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jenn
Ridley?

"Viviane" wrote:

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a
parallel universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with
lemon juice out of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste
like lemon.

Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

I do use lemon oil in some baking and pickling, but I still maintain that the
freshness of fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon oil makes a difference in
something like lemon meringue pie. I should add that I can pick them in my
yard, so I don't have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons.

--
Wayne Boatwright @@
_____________________
Old 08-04-2006, 08:29 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
"Viviane" wrote:

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

Not the same as the lemon oil directly from the zest. At home, we bruise
or scrape the skin to release the oils. Then put the oil-coated zest
into the pie to get the rest out, as well. Commercially... different
story http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/EO.html

Pastorio
Old 08-04-2006, 11:10 AM posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I do use lemon oil in some baking and pickling, but I still maintain that the
freshness of fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon oil makes a difference in
something like lemon meringue pie.

I'm sure it does, it's just that some of us don't have access to good
lemons, and zest from the lemons we can get often leaves something to
be desired.

Forgive me. I've never been anywhere that has to suffer not having
"access to good lemons," and I've been all over the world. Anywhere that
doesn't have good lemons wouldn't have internet connections, either.

Lemons travel very well, last a long time and are a generally
inexpensive item.

Where are you?

Pastorio
Old 08-04-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Jenn Ridley wrote:
"Viviane" wrote:

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

Not the same as the lemon oil directly from the zest.

I never said it was. But it's certainly better than lemon flavor or
using bottled lemon juice.

Frankly, I don't usually make lemon meringue pie because I don't
usually have access to good lemons.

--
Jenn Ridley :

Old 08-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message

wrote

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

nancy =============

I dunno. I think soap tastes better. Ewww! You know, until I had a bad
batch of Bean Soup (too much cilantro made it bad).. I used to like it.
Now... ewwwwwww. Nope. Icky stuff.

--
Syssi

Old 08-04-2006, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Nancy Young wrote:

wrote

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

I always thought it tastes more like copper. I like it. My wife does not.

============

Yep. Those have been my thoughts too! Not so much soapy in flavor but more
metallic. Copper. That's it! Thank you!!!

--
Syssi

Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 PM posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Jenn Ridley wrote:

"Viviane" wrote:

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

I simply don't believe it. "Green-y shrivelled up" lemons have never
appeared in any store I've ever patronized, on several continents, over
6 decades, buying for both home and commercial uses.

Have a nice day out there in the Hindu Kush or Siberia or wherever.

Pastorio

Old 08-04-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.baking

You can always just give it up and use Joe & Nellie's bottled Key Lime Juice.
8

-- Larry

Old 08-04-2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

I simply don't believe it. "Green-y shrivelled up" lemons have never
appeared in any store I've ever patronized, on several continents, over
6 decades, buying for both home and commercial uses.

I must be unlucky, I guess. Whenever I look at the lemons in the
local grocer, they don't look like anything I'd like to use for
anything. Maybe I just don't look often enough.

Have a nice day out there in the Hindu Kush or Siberia or wherever.

Try small-town Midwest US. You don't have to get snarky about it.

--
Jenn Ridley :