Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>>>Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
>>>store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
>>>make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

>>I simply don't believe it. "Green-y shrivelled up" lemons have never
>>appeared in any store I've ever patronized, on several continents, over
>>6 decades, buying for both home and commercial uses.

> I must be unlucky, I guess. Whenever I look at the lemons in the
> local grocer, they don't look like anything I'd like to use for
> anything. Maybe I just don't look often enough.
>
>>Have a nice day out there in the Hindu Kush or Siberia or wherever.

> Try small-town Midwest US. You don't have to get snarky about it.

Jenn, I now live in a rural area that's not even incorporated. It's all
farms. The nearest town, miles away, has the vast population of 18,000
and has remained at that number for decades; never been higher. My wife
and I joke about going to town and picking up some calico and a barrel
of gunpowder and some slab-bacon because we live so far out...

There were more people than that in each of the various buildings I
worked in, in New York. We have several supermarkets and a bigass
Walmart in the villages around here. We have boondocker IGA stores. I've
never seen a green-y lemon in any of them. Never seen a shrivelled one.
Lemons are about as close to bulletproof as it gets in the produce section.

Citrus fruits last months off the tree if handled properly. Weeks if
handled negligently.

Pastorio