Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> "Viviane" > wrote:
>
>>Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
>>universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
>>of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

> Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
> It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
> don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
> have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
> with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

> It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

Not the same as the lemon oil directly from the zest. At home, we bruise
or scrape the skin to release the oils. Then put the oil-coated zest
into the pie to get the rest out, as well. Commercially... different
story <http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/EO.html>

Pastorio