Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
Do you have to do that?
I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
lemons.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
> Do you have to do that?
> I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
> lemons.

If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest
flavor more than ever. And make sure you only grate
the yellow part, none of the white.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> > What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
> > Do you have to do that?
> > I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
> > lemons.

> If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest
> flavor more than ever. And make sure you only grate
> the yellow part, none of the white.
>
> nancy

You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly, right? See
there, I'm learning again.:-)
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful>

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 04:11:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
> Do you have to do that?
> I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
> lemons.

I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh lemons,
both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Lefty" > wrote in message
news

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> >
> > > wrote
> >
> > > What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
> > > Do you have to do that?
> > > I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy

some
> > > lemons.

> > If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest
> > flavor more than ever. And make sure you only grate
> > the yellow part, none of the white.
> >
> > nancy

> You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly, right? See
> there, I'm learning again.:-)
> --
> Lefty

You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
coriander/cilantro <g>

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote

> "Lefty" > wrote

>> You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly, right? See
>> there, I'm learning again.:-)

> You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
> coriander/cilantro <g>

(laugh!) That was a good one.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
> coriander/cilantro <g>
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

Sandy

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
> not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

You are so not alone, sistah.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
>
> > What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
> > Do you have to do that?
> > I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
> > lemons.

> I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh lemons,
> both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
> release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
> snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.

That's true... if you're not going to use real lemons may as well serve
lemon jello with cool whip.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
> > Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
> > not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

> You are so not alone, sistah.
>
> nancy

Perhaps ya'll would like to join CCAC (Concerned Citizens Against Cilantro).
I'm a card-carrying member!

Chris in Pearland, TX

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:11:53 +0000, Chris Marksberry wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>>
>> > wrote
>>
>> > Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
>> > not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

>> You are so not alone, sistah.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> Perhaps ya'll would like to join CCAC (Concerned Citizens Against Cilantro).
> I'm a card-carrying member!
>
> Chris in Pearland, TX

Are taste bud the second thing to go or is the first. <LOL>

Are pears in season yet?

Cilantro rules!!

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> You are so not alone, sistah.

> Perhaps ya'll would like to join CCAC (Concerned Citizens Against
> Cilantro).
> I'm a card-carrying member!

You know, I like that. CCAC is sorta like the noise I
make when I taste the stuff. We could warn people about
dishes with cilantro, point them out in our weekly newsletter,
Soap Dish. The guacamole at Jose's? Warning, it's a Soap Dish.
Like that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> > wrote
>
> > Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
> > not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

> You are so not alone, sistah.

I always thought it tastes more like copper. I like it. My wife does not.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Thu 06 Apr 2006 08:05:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Freight Train
Jones?

> Sheldon wrote:
> <snip whatever>
>
> you're nasty
>
> I saw you entertaining those nasty troll posts
>
> you was a part of it

<SNICKER>

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> "Lefty" > wrote in message
> news >

>>> If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest flavor
>>> more than ever. And make sure you only grate the yellow part,
>>> none of the white.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly,
>> right? See there, I'm learning again.:-) -- Lefty

> You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
> coriander/cilantro <g>

Exactly. It's a genetic thing and not simply an opinion. A significant
percentage of the world's population tastes cilantro as "soapy," me
among them.

People tell me to keep trying it so that it won't taste so bad in the
future. My attitude is "I don't like it. Why would I force myself to eat
something that tastes really bad to me? So it tastes *less* bad? Excuse
me...?"

A couple drops of dish detergent or hand cleaner will work as well if
you don't have bar soap in the house.

As for the pie, you want the lemon oil that lives in the zest. It adds
depth to the lemon flavor.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 04:11:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh lemons,
> both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
> release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
> snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

Although he is quite fond of me, I'm pretty sure DH would trade me in
if I ever presented him with a Lemon Meringue Pie made with bottled
juice and no lemon rind. Finely grated rind is essential for a good
lemon pie. That bottled lemon juice is just nasty stuff...almost as
yucky as cilantro.
Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.
Funnily enough, if I want something to taste like lemon I use lemons. I was
beginning to think that sort of rationale had gone out with the ark until I
read your post. It has restored my faith in lemon meringue pie lovers.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
28.19...
> On Thu 06 Apr 2006 04:11:06p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?
>
>> What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
>> Do you have to do that?
>> I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
>> lemons.

> I would never even consider making a Lemon Meringue Pie without fresh
> lemons,
> both for juice and zest. Bottled juice just isn't the same, and the rind
> release essential oils that contribute greatly to the flavor. Not being
> snobbish here, but I just like really good LMP.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
> _____________________

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Viviane" > wrote:

>Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
>universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
>of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

--
Jenn Ridley :

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Viviane wrote:

> Funnily enough, if I want something to taste like lemon I use lemons.

<slaps forehead> Why didn't think of that? <G>

Exactly. Use lemons for a lemony taste. Great idea.

I dimly recall some orange-flavored drink commercials years ago that
boasted that their part-juice tasted better than plain orange juice
because it was loaded with "flavor enhancers." Like a reviewer once said
about McDonald's milkshakes, "Taste better than the real thing."

Ya gotta wonder if everybody in the production and promotion lines
believe that stuff.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Fri 07 Apr 2006 07:06:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jenn
Ridley?

> "Viviane" > wrote:
>
>>Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a
>>parallel universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with
>>lemon juice out of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste
>>like lemon.

> Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
> It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
> don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
> have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
> with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.
>
> It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

I do use lemon oil in some baking and pickling, but I still maintain that the
freshness of fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon oil makes a difference in
something like lemon meringue pie. I should add that I can pick them in my
yard, so I don't have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> "Viviane" > wrote:
>
>>Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
>>universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
>>of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

> Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
> It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
> don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
> have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
> with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

> It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

Not the same as the lemon oil directly from the zest. At home, we bruise
or scrape the skin to release the oils. Then put the oil-coated zest
into the pie to get the rest out, as well. Commercially... different
story <http://home.earthlink.net/~skinesscentuals/EO.html>

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I do use lemon oil in some baking and pickling, but I still maintain that the
>>freshness of fresh lemon juice and fresh lemon oil makes a difference in
>>something like lemon meringue pie.

> I'm sure it does, it's just that some of us don't have access to good
> lemons, and zest from the lemons we can get often leaves something to
> be desired.

Forgive me. I've never been anywhere that has to suffer not having
"access to good lemons," and I've been all over the world. Anywhere that
doesn't have good lemons wouldn't have internet connections, either.

Lemons travel very well, last a long time and are a generally
inexpensive item.

Where are you?

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

>Jenn Ridley wrote:
>> "Viviane" > wrote:
>>
>>>Thank goodness for some common sense. I thought I was living in a parallel
>>>universe to hear about people making lemon meringue pie with lemon juice out
>>>of a bottle and others buying lemon oil to make it taste like lemon.

>> Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
>> It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
>> don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
>> have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
>> with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

>You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
>"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

>> It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

>Not the same as the lemon oil directly from the zest.

I never said it was. But it's certainly better than lemon flavor or
using bottled lemon juice.

Frankly, I don't usually make lemon meringue pie because I don't
usually have access to good lemons.

--
Jenn Ridley :

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
>> Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
>> not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

> You are so not alone, sistah.
>
> nancy =============

I dunno. I think soap tastes better. Ewww! You know, until I had a bad
batch of Bean Soup (too much cilantro made it bad).. I used to like it.
Now... ewwwwwww. Nope. Icky stuff.

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> > wrote
>>
>> > Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
>> > not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

>> You are so not alone, sistah.

> I always thought it tastes more like copper. I like it. My wife does not.
>
>============

Yep. Those have been my thoughts too! Not so much soapy in flavor but more
metallic. Copper. That's it! Thank you!!!

--
Syssi

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>>Jenn Ridley wrote:

>>>Lemon oil from the bakery section is lemon oil from the rind of lemon.
>>>It even has some advantages over make-your-own-lemon-zest, as you
>>>don't need to scrub the lemon to get the coating off, and you don't
>>>have to deal with green-y shriveled up lemons. And you're not left
>>>with zested lemons that need to be used somehow.

>>You use the zested lemons for the pie filling. And if you're buying
>>"green-y shriveled up lemons," you're not choosing wisely.

> Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
> store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
> make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

I simply don't believe it. "Green-y shrivelled up" lemons have never
appeared in any store I've ever patronized, on several continents, over
6 decades, buying for both home and commercial uses.

Have a nice day out there in the Hindu Kush or Siberia or wherever.

Pastorio

>>>It will takes like lemon because it -is- lemon.

>>Not the same as the lemon oil directly from the zest.

> I never said it was. But it's certainly better than lemon flavor or
> using bottled lemon juice.
>
> Frankly, I don't usually make lemon meringue pie because I don't
> usually have access to good lemons.
>
> --
> Jenn Ridley :

Posted to rec.food.baking

You can always just give it up and use Joe & Nellie's bottled Key Lime Juice.
8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

>> Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
>> store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
>> make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

>I simply don't believe it. "Green-y shrivelled up" lemons have never
>appeared in any store I've ever patronized, on several continents, over
>6 decades, buying for both home and commercial uses.

I must be unlucky, I guess. Whenever I look at the lemons in the
local grocer, they don't look like anything I'd like to use for
anything. Maybe I just don't look often enough.

>Have a nice day out there in the Hindu Kush or Siberia or wherever.

Try small-town Midwest US. You don't have to get snarky about it.

--
Jenn Ridley :

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>>>Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
>>>store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
>>>make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

>>I simply don't believe it. "Green-y shrivelled up" lemons have never
>>appeared in any store I've ever patronized, on several continents, over
>>6 decades, buying for both home and commercial uses.

> I must be unlucky, I guess. Whenever I look at the lemons in the
> local grocer, they don't look like anything I'd like to use for
> anything. Maybe I just don't look often enough.
>
>>Have a nice day out there in the Hindu Kush or Siberia or wherever.

> Try small-town Midwest US. You don't have to get snarky about it.

Jenn, I now live in a rural area that's not even incorporated. It's all
farms. The nearest town, miles away, has the vast population of 18,000
and has remained at that number for decades; never been higher. My wife
and I joke about going to town and picking up some calico and a barrel
of gunpowder and some slab-bacon because we live so far out...

There were more people than that in each of the various buildings I
worked in, in New York. We have several supermarkets and a bigass
Walmart in the villages around here. We have boondocker IGA stores. I've
never seen a green-y lemon in any of them. Never seen a shrivelled one.
Lemons are about as close to bulletproof as it gets in the produce section.

Citrus fruits last months off the tree if handled properly. Weeks if
handled negligently.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
> Do you have to do that?
> I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
> lemons.

Don't do it! If you want quick and easy use a Jello lemon meringue pie
filling.

If you're making it from scratch use real lemon juice and the grated
rind.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > wrote
>
>> Chris, it gives me great (or perhaps grate) pleasure to know that I'm
>> not the only one on the planet to think that cilantro tastes like soap!

> You are so not alone, sistah.
>
> nancy

And what is this thing with some restaurants sprinkling dill on
everything. Ruined a perfectly good dinner. Yuk, musty dill.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.baking

Jenn Ridley > wrote in
:

> Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
> store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
> make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

No produce stand/store? Only one store?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On 4/15/06, Mike H > wrote:

> Jenn Ridley > wrote in
> :
>
> > Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons in the
> > store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
> > make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

> No produce stand/store? Only one store?

Welcome to the (concept of) the hinterlands.

In our town we have two grocery stores, neither has very good produce (or
cheese beyond the common ones). The next town up has one small grocery
store. Both have a health food store with a limited selection of produce.
Produce stands exist for about 4 months of the year.

And what is available is grossly overpriced. The local stores feel this is
a resort area, so they charge extra. A "good" price on milk is 2 gallons
for $5.00. Normally, it's over $4.00 for 1 gallon. Everything is about 30%
more than at a store about 60 miles away. However, because of the mountain
roads, that store is not always easy to get to. When I lived in a large
city, 60 miles was "across town," here it's a potentially perilous drive.

When I recently visited my parents in Dallas, I was stunned. At one
intersection there were 6 grocery stores, each of which was larger than both
of the stores in my home town. After a while, you forget the comforts of
living in a large city.

On the other hand, I NEVER lock my car, and we rarely lock the house. I
don't bother locking up my bike. People leave their cars running while they
go into the post office, and the cars are still there when they come out (I
think those folks are idiots, but not because of the risk of theft - they
are burning lots of gas for no reason).

Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking

Mike Avery wrote:
> On 4/15/06, *Mike H*
> >> wrote:
>
> Jenn Ridley >>
> wrote in
>
> <mailto:news:8isf32l4h43dgu7dogt8kmt4avr6j0mug9@4a x.com>:
>
> > Sometimes there *is* no choice, OK? Sometimes the only lemons

> in the
> > store are the green-y shrivelled up type, OK? (at which point *I*
> > make a different kind of pie, but not everybody will do that.)

> No produce stand/store? Only one store?
>

> Welcome to the (concept of) the hinterlands.

I understand hinterlands. I live on a farm in an unincorporated area.
Nearest town has 18,000 people and has for the 30+ years I've lived
around here. 10 miles to the nearest (very downscale) grocery.

But I've never seen "green-y shrivelled up" lemons anywhere. And what is
the implication of that assertion, that they somehow came in "green-y
shrivelled up" off the produce truck? At some point, in any stores,
there have to be fresh lemons available. A phone call could easily
enough find out when that would be. If not to the store, to the produce
company. I don't buy it.

> In our town we have two grocery stores, neither has very good produce
> (or cheese beyond the common ones). The next town up has one small
> grocery store. Both have a health food store with a limited selection
> of produce. Produce stands exist for about 4 months of the year.
>
> And what is available is grossly overpriced. The local stores feel this
> is a resort area, so they charge extra. A "good" price on milk is 2
> gallons for $5.00.

I've never seen milk for that price, and this is a dairy area.

> On the other hand, I NEVER lock my car, and we rarely lock the house. I
> don't bother locking up my bike. People leave their cars running while
> they go into the post office, and the cars are still there when they
> come out (I think those folks are idiots, but not because of the risk of
> theft - they are burning lots of gas for no reason).

Our front door doesn't lock. Only people who have recently moved here
from an urban area lock anything.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Arthur wrote:
> CHI-MUM wrote:
>> > wrote
>>
>>> What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
>>> Do you have to do that?
>>> I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
>>> lemons.
>>>

>> Don't do it! If you want quick and easy use a Jello lemon meringue
>> pie filling.
>>
>> If you're making it from scratch use real lemon juice and the grated
>> rind.
>>
>> MoM
>>

> I've recently discovered that the pretty lemons and limes in my grocery
> stores are coated with some sort of "edible" carnuba or beeswax product.
> No one seems to worry about it. I try to scrub those lemons whose rind I
> plan to use, but, since the stuff is waterproof, I wonder what I am
> accomplishing. Anyone which thoughts on this matter??

Warm water, a brush, and a minute's rubbing and will get most of it off.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Arthur wrote:
>

>> I've recently discovered that the pretty lemons and limes in my
>> grocery stores are coated with some sort of "edible" carnuba or
>> beeswax product. No one seems to worry about it. I try to scrub those
>> lemons whose rind I plan to use, but, since the stuff is waterproof, I
>> wonder what I am accomplishing. Anyone which thoughts on this matter??

> Warm water, a brush, and a minute's rubbing and will get most of it off.
>
> Pastorio

Good. Thanks. I wonder how lemons are prewashed at my local cocktail
lounge??? [will that be with a twist of wax?]

-=Art=-
Posted to rec.food.baking

Arthur wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>> Arthur wrote:
>>>>
>>> I've recently discovered that the pretty lemons and limes in my
>>> grocery stores are coated with some sort of "edible" carnuba or
>>> beeswax product. No one seems to worry about it. I try to scrub those
>>> lemons whose rind I plan to use, but, since the stuff is waterproof,
>>> I wonder what I am accomplishing. Anyone which thoughts on this matter??

>> Warm water, a brush, and a minute's rubbing and will get most of it off.
>>
>> Pastorio

> Good. Thanks. I wonder how lemons are prewashed at my local cocktail
> lounge??? [will that be with a twist of wax?]

I've never seen a bartender wash a lemon. Including me.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"RsH" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Arthur wrote:
>
>> I've recently discovered that the pretty lemons and limes in my grocery
>> stores are coated with some sort of "edible" carnuba or beeswax product.
>> No one seems to worry about it. I try to scrub those lemons whose rind I
>> plan to use, but, since the stuff is waterproof, I wonder what I am
>> accomplishing. Anyone which thoughts on this matter??
>>
>> Art

> Carnuba wax is used on lots of foods... Jelly beans, for example, shine
> because they are all coated with it. It is edible and virtually
> tasteless, and is a finish protector or sealer, if you will. Don't
> bother scrubbing, and simply ignore that it has been used. Its been
> used since the beginning of last century, at a minimum, and we are
> still ingesting...
>
> FWIW
>
> RsH

Countering:
To say that it has been used for the last century does not mean that it has
caused no bodily harm. Until studies are done on each and every product
that people in good faith say that causes no harm, it's impossible to say
with certainty.
FWIW
Dee Dee