Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one) Bob (this one) is offline

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

Chris Marksberry wrote:
> "Lefty" > wrote in message
> news >

>>> If you're using bottled lemon juice, you'll want the zest flavor
>>> more than ever. And make sure you only grate the yellow part,
>>> none of the white.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> You grind the Zest Soap in there to make the meringue bubbly,
>> right? See there, I'm learning again.:-) -- Lefty

> You would grind in Zest soap only if you need a substitute for
> coriander/cilantro <g>

Exactly. It's a genetic thing and not simply an opinion. A significant
percentage of the world's population tastes cilantro as "soapy," me
among them.

People tell me to keep trying it so that it won't taste so bad in the
future. My attitude is "I don't like it. Why would I force myself to eat
something that tastes really bad to me? So it tastes *less* bad? Excuse
me...?"

A couple drops of dish detergent or hand cleaner will work as well if
you don't have bar soap in the house.

As for the pie, you want the lemon oil that lives in the zest. It adds
depth to the lemon flavor.

Pastorio