Old 01-02-2010, 03:18 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Corked wines at the CIA

On Jan 31, 12:30*pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
*DaleW *wrote *on Sun, 31 Jan 2010 06:54:03 -0800 (PST):

On Jan 30, 12:47 pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
*DaleW *wrote *on Sat, 30 Jan 2010 07:32:58 -0800 (PST):

This evening was part of their dinner series, the theme was
Slow & Savory Cooking. Just in case it sounds like I'm
carping/complaining, let me say at the outset that I had a
good time, I found the kids delightful in their trying so
hard, and the food was mostly good.

I wish you wouldn't abbreviate the Culinary Institute of
America as the CIA. Corked wines might be useful to the real
CIA. My nephew passed out after drinking some wine (provided
by his mother) that was only slightly corked.

Sorry, I assumed on a wine group people would assume Culinary
Institute.

I suspect you are optimistic about knowledge outside California about
the Culinary Institute. I get out to Napa once in while and I have heard
of it and seen the buildings from the road. Isn't it in the old
Christian Brothers winery? (Did they have to sell the place because of
incompetence or was it for money to pay abuse suits?)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Again, my apologies for any confusion. There is a Culinary Institute
of American in Napa Valley, though this is the original in Hyde Park,
NY. I find it commonplace for people to discuss "CIA trained chefs"
but sorry that it confused anyone.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 31, 11:17*pm, Ewan wrote:
On Jan 30, 10:32*am, DaleW wrote:

Some friends asked us if we would join them for dinner at the St
Andrews Cafe at the Culinary Institute of American in Hyde Park. I
hurried home from work and we drove north. arriving just in time. *My
first time on this campus (quite nice and collegial, though the route
from parking to restaurants could be better defined)

This evening was part of their dinner series, the theme was Slow &
Savory Cooking. Just in case it sounds like I'm carping/complaining,
let me say at the outset that I had a good time, I found the kids
delightful in their trying so hard, and the food was mostly good.

We had our first CuIAm (!) meal a month back, at their lowest-level
restaurant (St. Andrew's cafe). *Nice selection of wines by the glass,
very reasonable prices, and I echo Dale's comments on both the staff
and (most of) the food; but we sent back both of our initial glasses
too. *No problems on replacement - other than increased anxiety for
the poor server - but I wonder whether there's some possible cause in
their storage??

It's only about an hour south from us, so we'll likely go back; fun
place to visit.

Did you send back due to being corked, or something else like
oxidation? To former, I don't know of any storage related factor with
TCA. Certainly storage and other factors can lead to other flaws (and
things like bottle being opened too long can lead to oxidation)
Old 02-02-2010, 03:47 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 1, 9:21*am, DaleW wrote:
On Jan 31, 11:17*pm, Ewan wrote:

On Jan 30, 10:32*am, DaleW wrote:

[...]

Both corked, although to different extents: I did not note, and do not
recall, the details (and their list has changed online since we went)
but one was a Pinot Noir (that was the worse offender), the other a
Zin. Didn't think much of it, but seemed odd in the context of your
note.

Was this corked? Chris Sprague Wine 1 22-04-2007 04:09 PM
Corked wines redux jcoulter Wine 7 08-01-2005 12:00 AM
cooking with corked Dale Williams Wine 8 14-10-2004 11:24 AM
Corked wines: what is going on here? Max Hauser Wine 6 02-03-2004 07:13 AM
How do you say "corked" in Italian Ken Blake Wine 17 24-11-2003 09:47 PM