jcoulter

Default Corked wines redux

Opened a bottle of Faury St Joseph 2000 last night and while it
underwhelmed me I wasn't too upset, My wife on the other hand took one sip
and said "this is off!" As it wasn't too bad, I drank some with dinner she
drank water. Long and short was the realization that for some a little TCA
goes a long way and for others it just seems to cut the legs off of the
wine a bit. I noticed less nose, less flavor (esp the characteristic
smokyness of a St. Joseph) the color and appearance in the glass; however,
were fine.

Two nights before we had a fantastic (esp for 6.99USD close out price)
Barbera d' Asta which was full of fruit and filled the room when the cork
came out. I was wishing for more last night.

Reason for mentioning all of this is to point out again that TCA is
relative to ones sensitivity. I drank a lot of wine in my time which was
tainted and didn't realize it until I was shown a bottle that was and
compared it to the uncorked version in a horizontal of sorts.

Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:51:38 -0600, jcoulter
> wrote:

>Opened a bottle of Faury St Joseph 2000 last night and while it
>underwhelmed me I wasn't too upset, My wife on the other hand took one sip
>and said "this is off!" As it wasn't too bad, I drank some with dinner she
>drank water. Long and short was the realization that for some a little TCA
>goes a long way and for others it just seems to cut the legs off of the
>wine a bit. I noticed less nose, less flavor (esp the characteristic
>smokyness of a St. Joseph) the color and appearance in the glass; however,
>were fine.
>
>Two nights before we had a fantastic (esp for 6.99USD close out price)
>Barbera d' Asta which was full of fruit and filled the room when the cork
>came out. I was wishing for more last night.
>
>Reason for mentioning all of this is to point out again that TCA is
>relative to ones sensitivity. I drank a lot of wine in my time which was
>tainted and didn't realize it until I was shown a bottle that was and
>compared it to the uncorked version in a horizontal of sorts.

Increasingly I've come to the same realization. My wife is regularly
complaining about barnyard or "wet dog" flavors while I soldier on and
try to convince her that it is a "terroir" characteristic or a
"typical" of the region taste. Clearly I'm a bit less sensitive than
she (and maybe we've now got a statistical basis for sensitivity
related to gender--two samplings so far...)

I noticed the difference recently on some bottles of Les Caves de la
Colombe Vacqueyras 2001. I had begun to believe that flatness of
flavor and the unpleasant mustiness was characteristic of this
relatively inexpensive Rhone, then I opened a bottle that showed
cleanly and finally had the "eureka moment" that a high percentage of
these were corked.

OTOH, my wife has virtually no tolerance for maderization. She scorns
and refuses to drink anything that shows a "sherry" flavor. Often this
is not a flaw and she recently missed out on a great Bollinger Grande
Annee that was loaded with it--just left more for me!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
cutecat

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> Reason for mentioning all of this is to point out again that TCA is
> relative to ones sensitivity. I drank a lot of wine in my time which was
> tainted and didn't realize it until I was shown a bottle that was and
> compared it to the uncorked version in a horizontal of sorts.

All the more reason for people to jump on the screwcap bandwagon, IMO.

cutecat

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> Reason for mentioning all of this is to point out again that TCA is
> relative to ones sensitivity. I drank a lot of wine in my time which was
> tainted and didn't realize it until I was shown a bottle that was and
> compared it to the uncorked version in a horizontal of sorts.

All the more reason for people to jump on the screwcap bandwagon, IMO.

Pantheras

cutecat wrote:

>>Reason for mentioning all of this is to point out again that TCA is
>>relative to ones sensitivity. I drank a lot of wine in my time which was
>>tainted and didn't realize it until I was shown a bottle that was and
>>compared it to the uncorked version in a horizontal of sorts.

I just don't understand the problem of cooking with tainted wine.
Why would you drink tainted wine when you cook as opposed to any
other time.
Didn't Julia really say,
"I always cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food that I am
cooking".
:-)

Pantheras

cutecat wrote:

>>Reason for mentioning all of this is to point out again that TCA is
>>relative to ones sensitivity. I drank a lot of wine in my time which was
>>tainted and didn't realize it until I was shown a bottle that was and
>>compared it to the uncorked version in a horizontal of sorts.

I just don't understand the problem of cooking with tainted wine.
Why would you drink tainted wine when you cook as opposed to any
other time.
Didn't Julia really say,
"I always cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food that I am
cooking".
:-)

AyTee

The same is true for Brettanomyces. Some people like the "earthiness"
of a bit of brett, while some are repulsed by it.

Andy

Bill Loftin

Mike Tommasi wrote:
>>I just don't understand the problem of cooking with tainted wine.
>>Why would you drink tainted wine when you cook as opposed to any
>>other time.
>>Didn't Julia really say,
>>"I always cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food that I am
>>cooking".

> What is "tainted"? TCA shows up as a bad taste when drinking wine, but
> in cooking it evaporates away and becomes undetectable. And in any
> case it is not toxic in the minute quantities that are involved here.
> So why not cook with it? 99.9999% of the bottle is still good...
> I always keep my TCA tainted wines for cooking.
> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Is it really this hard to find any humor in this group. Joe Beppe
and I are going to have to recruit some more spammers to get the
humor back.
Bill

TN: Corked wines at the CIA DaleW Wine 20 02-02-2010 02:47 PM
Was this corked? Chris Sprague Wine 1 22-04-2007 04:09 PM
cooking with corked Dale Williams Wine 8 14-10-2004 11:24 AM
Corked wines: what is going on here? Max Hauser Wine 6 02-03-2004 06:13 AM
Boxed wines redux D. Gerasimatos Wine 6 02-10-2003 02:50 PM