Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Was this corked?

Last night I opened a spatlese from a producer who I've had great
experiences with before, Schäfer-Fröhlich (Riesling Spätlese Nahe
Bockenauer Felseneck 2005). I was rather looking forward to it, given
a rating I'd read:

"A terrific spätlese, with a kaleidoscope of berry, lime, sweet corn
and mineral aromas and flavors that mingle with the elegant yet firm
structure. This is refined, with harmony and a lingering citrus and
mineral aftertaste. Drink now through 2020. 200 cases imported."

Upon opening, however, I got a big nose of raw onions. There was
little complexity to it other than that. Taste was also somewhat
oniony up front, finish off into a touch of sweetness, but with a
short finish. I have to think this was flawed.

Unfortunately, me and my friends finished the bottle, as I'd poured
the whole thing just after opening into their 5 glasses, so I can't
take it back. Has anyone ever had a Spatlese smell and taste like
onions? That's not what I would expect from TCA, if that's what it
was.

- Chris

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 22 Apr 2007 05:45:04 -0700, Chris Sprague >
wrote:

>Unfortunately, me and my friends finished the bottle, as I'd poured
>the whole thing just after opening into their 5 glasses, so I can't
>take it back.

It is possible to pour wine back into the bottle from glasses. Even
without a funnel! I speak from practical experience

>Has anyone ever had a Spatlese smell and taste like
>onions? That's not what I would expect from TCA, if that's what it
>was.

I've never encountered it personally, but I know what it is. It's
diethyl disulphide. A wine making fault.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

TN: Corked wines at the CIA DaleW Wine 20 02-02-2010 02:47 PM
Corked NZ wine James Silverton[_4_] Wine 20 25-09-2008 08:56 PM
cooking with corked Dale Williams Wine 8 14-10-2004 11:24 AM
Corked wine nyc sommelier 54 Wine 2 19-03-2004 01:37 PM
How do you say "corked" in Italian Ken Blake Wine 17 24-11-2003 08:47 PM