Ken Blake

Default How do you say "corked" in Italian

I ran into a corked wine in Rome last week. It never occurred to
me before that I needed to know how to say "corked" in Italian.
The best I could do was say "questa bottiglia non e buona. In
Inglese, e 'corked'."

It worked OK, and the wine was replaced without a problem, but
for future refernce, can someone help? What's the word for
"corked," and what should I have said?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Mr Marcello Fabretti

That's a good question. I've heard someone say "Sa di tappo" meaning "it
tastes like cork", but I don't think that's particularly technical.

Also, why do italians both say "sughero" and "tappo" for cork? I guess the
former comes from the latin "suber" but I don't know about "tappo".

Mike Tomassi would know.

Marcello

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> I ran into a corked wine in Rome last week. It never occurred to
> me before that I needed to know how to say "corked" in Italian.
> The best I could do was say "questa bottiglia non e buona. In
> Inglese, e 'corked'."
>
> It worked OK, and the wine was replaced without a problem, but
> for future refernce, can someone help? What's the word for
> "corked," and what should I have said?
>

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please reply to the newsgroup

Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:19:03 GMT, "Mr Marcello Fabretti"
> wrote:

>That's a good question. I've heard someone say "Sa di tappo" meaning "it
>tastes like cork", but I don't think that's particularly technical.
>
>Also, why do italians both say "sughero" and "tappo" for cork? I guess the
>former comes from the latin "suber" but I don't know about "tappo".
>
>Mike Tomassi would know.

Well, yes, I would. "sughero" is the cork material, "tappo" is the
actual stopper. In english one uses the same word for both...

Mike
Ken Blake

In ,
Mr Marcello Fabretti > typed:

> That's a good question. I've heard someone say "Sa di tappo"

meaning
> "it tastes like cork", but I don't think that's particularly
> technical.

It isn't even accurate. A corked wine doesn't taste like cork.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> Also, why do italians both say "sughero" and "tappo" for cork?

> guess the former comes from the latin "suber" but I don't know

about
> "tappo".
>
> Mike Tomassi would know.
>
> Marcello
>

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> I ran into a corked wine in Rome last week. It never occurred

>> me before that I needed to know how to say "corked" in

Italian.
>> The best I could do was say "questa bottiglia non e buona. In
>> Inglese, e 'corked'."
>>
>> It worked OK, and the wine was replaced without a problem, but
>> for future refernce, can someone help? What's the word for
>> "corked," and what should I have said?
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Mike Tommasi > typed:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 05:19:03 GMT, "Mr Marcello Fabretti"
> > wrote:
>
>>That's a good question. I've heard someone say "Sa di tappo"

meaning
>>"it tastes like cork", but I don't think that's particularly
>>technical.
>>
>>Also, why do italians both say "sughero" and "tappo" for cork?

>>guess the former comes from the latin "suber" but I don't know

about
>>"tappo".
>>
>>Mike Tomassi would know.

> Well, yes, I would. "sughero" is the cork material, "tappo" is

the
> actual stopper. In english one uses the same word for both...

Thanks, but can you also help with how to say "corked"?

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Robert Stevahn

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 09:49:00 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>Thanks, but can you also help with how to say "corked"?

I don't know about Italian, but in Spanish it's "Sammy Sosa".

Oops, wrong newsgroup...

-- Robert
flavmeister

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Mr Marcello Fabretti > typed:
>
> > That's a good question. I've heard someone say "Sa di tappo"

> meaning
> > "it tastes like cork", but I don't think that's particularly
> > technical.

> It isn't even accurate. A corked wine doesn't taste like cork.

Is neither technical nor accurate, but "sa di tappo" is the idiom we use to
describe a bottle with TCA. It doesn't really taste like cork, but you can
smell a light (or strong) cork flavour.

Bye

Flavio

Ken Blake

In ,
flavmeister > typed:

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Mr Marcello Fabretti > typed:
>>
>> > That's a good question. I've heard someone say "Sa di tappo"

>> meaning
>> > "it tastes like cork", but I don't think that's particularly
>> > technical.

>> It isn't even accurate. A corked wine doesn't taste like cork.

> Is neither technical nor accurate, but "sa di tappo" is the

idiom we
> use to describe a bottle with TCA. It doesn't really taste like

cork,
> but you can smell a light (or strong) cork flavour.

There's no arguing with idioms. If that's the way it's said, then
that's the way to say it. Thanks very much.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Cesare

"flavmeister" > ha scritto

> Is neither technical nor accurate, but "sa di tappo" is the idiom we use

> describe a bottle with TCA. It doesn't really taste like cork, but you can
> smell a light (or strong) cork flavour.

I agree.
'Questa bottiglia sa di tappo' is a good translation for 'This bottle is
corked'.

Ciao
Cesare

Luk

Ciò che ha detto
Cesare )
è così interessante, che devo dire la mia:

It tastes cork = sa di tappo
the wine is corked = il vino è tappato

Luk

Mike Tommasi

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:42:01 GMT, "Luk" > wrote:

>Ciò che ha detto
>Cesare )
>è così interessante, che devo dire la mia:
>
>It tastes cork = sa di tappo
>the wine is corked = il vino è tappato

Hi Luk

Didn't know so many IHV people also hang around AFW...

Your description ignores the ambiguity of the word "corked". It can
mean "stopped with a cork" and also "tainted in flavor by an unsound
cork". If you say "the wine is corked", you are obviously referring to
taint, but if you say the bottle is corked, it depends on context, it
could mean it is has a stoper in it or its content is tainted.

Ciao

Mike
Ken Blake

In ,
Mike Tommasi > typed:

wrote:

>>Ciò che ha detto
>>Cesare )
>>è così interessante, che devo dire la mia:
>>
>>It tastes cork = sa di tappo
>>the wine is corked = il vino è tappato

> Hi Luk
>
> Didn't know so many IHV people also hang around AFW...
>
> Your description ignores the ambiguity of the word "corked". It

can
> mean "stopped with a cork" and also "tainted in flavor by an

unsound
> cork". If you say "the wine is corked", you are obviously

referring to
> taint, but if you say the bottle is corked, it depends on

context, it
> could mean it is has a stoper in it or its content is tainted.

But coming back to my original question of how to tell the waiter
the wine is no good, that context should make it very clear. If a
waiter served the wine and I tasted it and told him the bottle is
corked, clearly I'm not saying that it has a stopper in it.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Mike Tommasi

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:14:56 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Mike Tommasi > typed:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:42:01 GMT, "Luk" >

>wrote:
>>

>>>It tastes cork = sa di tappo
>>>the wine is corked = il vino è tappato

>> Your description ignores the ambiguity of the word "corked". It

>can
>> mean "stopped with a cork" and also "tainted in flavor by an

>unsound
>> cork". If you say "the wine is corked", you are obviously

>referring to
>> taint, but if you say the bottle is corked, it depends on

>context, it
>> could mean it is has a stoper in it or its content is tainted.

>But coming back to my original question of how to tell the waiter
>the wine is no good, that context should make it very clear. If a
>waiter served the wine and I tasted it and told him the bottle is
>corked, clearly I'm not saying that it has a stopper in it.

Of course. But Luk's answer in italian only adresses the other
context, that the bottle has a stopper in it...

Mike
Luk

> >But coming back to my original question of how to tell the waiter
> >the wine is no good, that context should make it very clear. If a
> >waiter served the wine and I tasted it and told him the bottle is
> >corked, clearly I'm not saying that it has a stopper in it.

It is exaclty what I meant.

> Of course. But Luk's answer in italian only adresses the other
> context, that the bottle has a stopper in it...
>
> Mike

I wrote "the wine is corked", not "the bottle is corked". I supposed no
ambiguity in the context. It is also a comon way to say in IHV. Nevertheless
my english is far to be perfect....
OK Ken, call the wayter ant say " Mi scusi, il vino sa di tappo, può
sostituirmi la bottiglia per cortesia?"
Write and remind it!!! :-)))

Luk

Ken Blake

In ,
Luk > typed:

>> >But coming back to my original question of how to tell the

waiter
>> >the wine is no good, that context should make it very clear.

If a
>> >waiter served the wine and I tasted it and told him the

bottle is
>> >corked, clearly I'm not saying that it has a stopper in it.

> It is exaclty what I meant.
>
>> Of course. But Luk's answer in italian only adresses the

other
>> context, that the bottle has a stopper in it...
>>
>> Mike

> I wrote "the wine is corked", not "the bottle is corked". I

supposed
> no ambiguity in the context. It is also a comon way to say in

IHV.
> Nevertheless my english is far to be perfect....
> OK Ken, call the wayter ant say " Mi scusi, il vino sa di

tappo, può
> sostituirmi la bottiglia per cortesia?"
> Write and remind it!!! :-)))

Thanks again. Will do (next time).

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

flavmeister

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message

> Thanks again. Will do (next time).

I wish you won't need! :-)

Flavio

RV WRLee

>If you say "the wine is corked", you are obviously referring to
>taint, but if you say the bottle is corked, it depends on context, it
>could mean it is has a stoper in it or its content is tainted.

Which would be the same in English technically. If you said to someone, who is
not "wine literate", that "this wine is corked" they would assume that you
meant that it had a cork in it as opposed to a screw cap which is, in and of
itself humerous because if it had a screw cap it wouldn't have a cork and
there's a strong likeyhood that it wouldn't have TCA taint!
Bi!!

TN: Corked wines at the CIA DaleW Wine 20 02-02-2010 02:47 PM
Corked NZ wine James Silverton[_4_] Wine 20 25-09-2008 08:56 PM
Was this corked? Chris Sprague Wine 1 22-04-2007 04:09 PM
cooking with corked Dale Williams Wine 8 14-10-2004 11:24 AM
Corked wines: what is going on here? Max Hauser Wine 6 02-03-2004 06:13 AM