Old 06-07-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Crying Child At a Romantic Dinner?

Was I wrong or did I miss something???

"The Nest" is a 4 star restaurant nestled in the
romantic Saddleback Inn, Lake Arrowhead, CA. After
waiting 20 minutes past our scheduled reservation, we
were seated at a quiet booth that was available the
entire time. Soon (8:15pm)a family of 4 with a tired 2
year old crying to go home was seated behind us. After
10 minutes of non-stop crying, we spoke with a
waitress about the disturbance caused by the child.
The ownercame by our table and refused to speak to the
family and told us we could be moved to a louder part
of the restaurant if we didn't like the noise from the
child. Since the romance for the evening was ruined,
we decided to move. I was too upset to accept any
compensation offered, but still shocked that on my $86
tab they charged me a $10 corkage fee on my bottle of
wine. The food and service is worthy of 5 stars, but
owner is a horrible manager and will sacrifice your
romantic evening at the expense of a crying child.

I left a note on the receipt to the waiter that due to
the actions of the owner he would not be receiving a
tip. I also commended him and the chef on their
service.

While I think I should have walked out, my wife was
looking forward too much to her Duck breast with a
Lobster Tail. By that point McDonalds was good enough
for me.

I am curious as too your comments.

Old 06-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Karen

Is the Saddleback Inn a hotel? If so, travelers or guests are invited
to dine in any of their restaurants. I would think kids in a restaurant
in a hotel would not be a surprise.

It sounds like you were grouchy from the onset.

Karen

Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 06 Jul 2005 08:44:23a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Was I wrong or did I miss something???

Having experienced similar circumstances before, and preferring not to dine
near disruptive children, I would simply have left and gone elsewhere. As
you said, the romance of the evening was already lost.

Since you did stay, and the food and service were good, you were wrong in
penalizing the waiter by not tipping.

--
Wayne Boatwright **

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/6/2005 9:16:09 AM

Old 06-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Sheldon

* wrote:

Was I wrong or did I miss something???

I am curious as too your comments.

"as too"

I don't believe your story, not a word... you are an obvious troll.

Sheldon

Old 06-07-2005, 05:22 PM
gjgee

I was too upset to accept any
compensation offered

What did they offer? Why would you not accept compensation?

but still shocked that on my $86
tab they charged me a $10 corkage fee on my bottle of
wine.

Is the corkage fee posted on the menu or elsewhere? If so, they are
fully in line to charge you for that.

I left a note on the receipt to the waiter that due to
the actions of the owner he would not be receiving a
tip. I also commended him and the chef on their
service.

I feel this is wrong, VERY wrong. As A.C. noted, you only hurt the
waiter, whom you commended for good service. That makes no sense. You
get good service, you tip. How is this supposed to affect the owner?

Sounds like you were just trying to make an unfortunate situation worse
by being difficult. The owner has no control over his guests and if he
offered to move you to a different table, away from the crying child,
why didn't you just move and get on with your romantic dinner?

While I think I should have walked out, my wife was
looking forward too much to her Duck breast with a
Lobster Tail

What did your wife think?

Old 06-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Bob (this one)

[...]

You handled it badly. It was time to call the manager over to tell him
you were leaving. Politely; he wasn't the one crying.

As for "compensation offered," it sounds like you were determined to be
annoyed. Restaurants are in the business of selling food and drink.
Doing all the service elements is included in the price. Bringing your
own food or drink in is rather rude.

Stiffing the competent server is too crass a gesture to discuss.
Essentially, you waved your arms to no avail like a child, and screwed a
working person.

Pastorio
Old 06-07-2005, 05:43 PM
Margaret Suran

[...]

You punished the waiter for your bad decision to wait for ten minutes,
before calling attention to your plight. That waiter was not even
your server at the first table, so what was he guilty of? Your
annoyance at a corkage fee and not questioning it? The decision of
the management not to deduct something from your bill or offer free
dessert?

I must have missed something in your post. You could not possibly
want to execute the messenger, or did you do just that? Commending
him to the chef, will not pay his rent or other expenses.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Glitter Ninja

"Bob (this one)" writes:

As for "compensation offered," it sounds like you were determined to be
annoyed. Restaurants are in the business of selling food and drink.
Doing all the service elements is included in the price. Bringing your
own food or drink in is rather rude.

I thought bringing your own wine was acceptable? I wouldn't do it
myself -- if I want my own wine I serve it at home with my own dinner --
but I hear of a lot of people doing this and restaurants often charge
corking fees now, in response to this trend.
Still, a $10 fee compared to an $86 dinner seems high, but if it was
clearly listed on the menu or otherwise posted, it shouldn't have been a
surprise.

Stacia