Peter Aitken wrote:
> "A.C." > wrote in message

> >> I left a note on the receipt to the waiter that due to
> >> the actions of the owner he would not be receiving a
> >> tip. I also commended him and the chef on their
> >> service.
> >>

> > i don't agree with this at all. you said the food and service were great
> > but you
> > didn't tip the waiter. i don't think it was the waiters fault. those folks
> > work
> > for tips so you basically make him work for free due to something that was
> > not
> > in his control. you didn't hurt the manager at all. he still got his money
> > and
> > corkage fee. it was nice that you commended the waiter on his service but
> > stiffing him was the wrong thing to do in my opinion.
> >

> There is some validity to what you say but what other option did the
> customer have? Perhaps an angry employee will help the manager change his
> ways. The waiter is responsible for certain things that may not be within
> his control. For example if there is a really long wait to get your food it
> may be the kitchen's fault but it is still the waiter's responsibility and
> can validly be reflected in the tip.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken

OP was totally in the wrong; Peter, a waiter wanting to keep a job that
likely is highly sought-after in the food service world because of its
reputation and its prices (indicating generous tips) has no business,
approaching, and should not do so, a manager or in this case, owner,
because the waiter is "angry" about not getting a tip due to the
owner's inaction. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

The OP should have left a generous tip and on the way out, spoken
quietly with the owner explaining why the customer felt his meal was
unsatisfactory along with the simple "rule of 250." Everyone knows 250
people and can relate a tale of an unsatisfactory meal situation to
those 250, who in turn each know 250 others, etc., etc., which MAY
affect the restaurant's business and reputation in the future.

N.