Bob (this one)

> Was I wrong or did I miss something???
>
> "The Nest" is a 4 star restaurant nestled in the
> romantic Saddleback Inn, Lake Arrowhead, CA. After
> waiting 20 minutes past our scheduled reservation, we
> were seated at a quiet booth that was available the
> entire time. Soon (8:15pm)a family of 4 with a tired 2
> year old crying to go home was seated behind us. After
> 10 minutes of non-stop crying, we spoke with a
> waitress about the disturbance caused by the child.
> The ownercame by our table and refused to speak to the
> family and told us we could be moved to a louder part
> of the restaurant if we didn't like the noise from the
> child. Since the romance for the evening was ruined,
> we decided to move. I was too upset to accept any
> compensation offered, but still shocked that on my $86
> tab they charged me a $10 corkage fee on my bottle of
> wine. The food and service is worthy of 5 stars, but
> owner is a horrible manager and will sacrifice your
> romantic evening at the expense of a crying child.
>
> I left a note on the receipt to the waiter that due to
> the actions of the owner he would not be receiving a
> tip. I also commended him and the chef on their
> service.
>
> While I think I should have walked out, my wife was
> looking forward too much to her Duck breast with a
> Lobster Tail. By that point McDonalds was good enough
> for me.
>
> I am curious as too your comments.

You handled it badly. It was time to call the manager over to tell him
you were leaving. Politely; he wasn't the one crying.

As for "compensation offered," it sounds like you were determined to be
annoyed. Restaurants are in the business of selling food and drink.
Doing all the service elements is included in the price. Bringing your
own food or drink in is rather rude.

Stiffing the competent server is too crass a gesture to discuss.
Essentially, you waved your arms to no avail like a child, and screwed a
working person.

Pastorio