gjgee

<I was too upset to accept any
compensation offered>

What did they offer? Why would you not accept compensation?

<but still shocked that on my $86
tab they charged me a $10 corkage fee on my bottle of
wine.>

Is the corkage fee posted on the menu or elsewhere? If so, they are
fully in line to charge you for that.

<I left a note on the receipt to the waiter that due to
the actions of the owner he would not be receiving a
tip. I also commended him and the chef on their
service.>

I feel this is wrong, VERY wrong. As A.C. noted, you only hurt the
waiter, whom you commended for good service. That makes no sense. You
get good service, you tip. How is this supposed to affect the owner?

Sounds like you were just trying to make an unfortunate situation worse
by being difficult. The owner has no control over his guests and if he
offered to move you to a different table, away from the crying child,
why didn't you just move and get on with your romantic dinner?

<While I think I should have walked out, my wife was
looking forward too much to her Duck breast with a
Lobster Tail>

What did your wife think?