Old 04-05-2005, 09:05 PM
Rich

Default Pot Luck Help

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.
--

--Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:18 PM
rmg

"Rich" wrote in message
news
I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park.

What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be

available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has

been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel

right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler

or
could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Hmm. How about crepes (they are pretty hearty actually). Wrap them together
in saran in your little cooler.
You could make-ahead some nice fillings like:

- creme fraiche, smoked salmon, dill and/or a bit of roe
- fresh berries and creme fraiche
- nice thinly sliced ham and light cheese for rolling with the crepe
- get a jar of Embasa Mole and mix a little of it with sour cream or cream
cheese. Fill the crepe with that and smoked chicken or turkey

Well, that's a start...

cheers, rox

Old 04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 04 May 2005 01:05:55p, Rich wrote in rec.food.cooking:

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park.
What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be
flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the
reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will
be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt
that it has been lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks,
so just taking something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken
doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.

Make it easy on yourself. Fruit pies, cakes, bar cookies and other cookies
all travel well, often even without a cooler. I would try to work with
fresh veggies, fruits, or meats with a target like that.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Old 04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Sheldon

Rich wrote:
I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public

park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be

flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the

reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be

available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it

has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking

something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel

right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a

cooler

Long as there's ice canned ham will survive in a cooler... could
probably purchase the hams (and cooler) when you arrive... no point in
lugging all that on the plane, get a styrofoam chest - lotsa ladies
have the same)

or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Easy enough to prepare ham steaks at the park with a charcoal grill...
maybe bring a few jugs of sauce (I like Chinese duck sauce doctored
w/crushed pineapple, etc.)... might want to heat some canned beans too.
Uh uh, dont discard that ice filled chest just yet, load it with
brewskies.

Sheldon

Old 04-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Dimitri

"Rich" wrote in message
news
I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What to
take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a two
day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think
Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for
years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking something from
the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.
--

--Rich

Decent size city in Missouri?

Dimitri

Old 04-05-2005, 10:00 PM
Renee

"Rich" wrote in message
news
I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.
--

--Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Will there be grills at the park?

Would you have time or facilities to cook (at your mom's place?) in Florida
before the road trip? If so, try slow cooking some slabs of baby-back ribs
in the oven using your favorite recipe. When you're ready to go, wrap them
in foil, pack in a cooler, and they should keep for a couple of days as long
as you're refreshing the ice. They're good eaten cold, though much better if
you use a grill to reheat them. Then you can baste with your favorite sauce
and grill until slightly charred.

Costco and Sam's always have nice baby backs.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 PM
Gal Called Jani

One time on Usenet, "Rich" said:

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Does the park have public grills? Many in my area do -- you could
do some kabobs or something similar. Make the sauces at your Mom's
house, then get fresh meat and veggies and you're set...

--
Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same
Old 04-05-2005, 10:09 PM
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Rich wrote on 04 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics.
I will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in
motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old
Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for
years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't
feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.

This keeps a long time (weeks) if fridgerated . It works well as a dip
for pretzels, graham crakers or cookies. Women have been known to
want to roll in the stuff.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

aka Kathy's Chocolate Pate

none

1 cup unsalted butter 250 ml
1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 ml
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp. brandy 30 ml or Rum
2 tsp. vanilla 10 ml
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate 250 g melted; and cooled
1 cup whipping cream 250 ml

In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in
egg yolks, rum and vanilla. Blend in chocolate.

Whip cream lightly and stir into chocolate mixture. Turn into 3-cup
(750
ml) mould or small pots. Chill until firm, at least 8 hours. (If you
make
it the night before you can eat it for lunch and still have enough time
make another batch
for dessert).

Makes about 8 servings.

(actually it makes about two servings - if you have the right people).

Use a light flexible metal mould or small pots or crocks. The recipe
cam be
doubled for a large mould (or two small ones).

From Kathy

Tried this and it is good...with congac.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Old 04-05-2005, 10:24 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 04 May 2005 02:09:01p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
want to roll in the stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you been encouraging this activity when you serve this?

BTW, it sounds really good.

[...]

From Kathy

Old 04-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Doug Kanter

"Rich" wrote in message
news
I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.

Bring a cast iron frying pan, your favorite knife, a plastic cutting board,
and some medium size serving bowls and spoons. Plastic wrap to cover the
food while people are playing bocci or softball or whatever.

Go to a grocery store when you get there. Buy:

Containers of hummus
Cucumbers
Tomatoes, not too ripe
Lettuce (not iceberg)
Red cabbage
Pita bread
Felafel mix
Tuna salad, already made at the deli counter.

The frying pan is for the felafels. Some mixes require only the addition of
water, then browning in oil. They're served warm or cold. Chop up the
vegetables and let people make their own pita sandwiches. Nice, cool food
for a hot day. The tuna is there in the event you have some redneck who
"ain't gonna eat none of that there Arab food".

Old 04-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Renee

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" wrote in message
[...]

I'd be a little hesitant to store anything with 4 raw egg yolks for too long
of a time. "Weeks" just doesn't sound right for eating. Maybe it's okay for
the rolling around part.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "Rich"
wrote:

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I
will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels,
so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas
camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for years. We both have
reputations as good cooks, so just taking something from the
supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.

This doesn't answer your question, Rich, but I couldn't help but laugh!
At our family reunion in 1993, we had KFC cater the food. We were in a
public park and just wanted things to be simple.

At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks, a
couple sides, watermelon, lemonade, and are asking the local folks to
bring bars for dessert. There'll be a prize for the best bars. And
I've already been told I'm not to pout if my brownies don't win.

Personally, I think you should forget about trying to dazzle them with
anything, bring a jug of something boozy, and have yourself a good time.
--
-Barb, http://www.jamlady.eboard.com Sam I Am! 5/3/05
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Bubba

Rich wrote:

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.

A trick I once used to freeze a cassoulet for a Thanksgiving camping trip:
Everything went into ziplock freezer bags and was frozen. I placed a
small cooler filled with water in a chest freezer and when the edges had
iced I inserted the frozen bags and completed freezing the water-filled
cooler....locking the already frozen baggies in a big ice cube.
Six days after removing the cooler from the freezer I had to run
everything under water in order to thaw it.
A cassoulet in a tent under the pines....with the Love of my
life.....not bad for a po' dumb country boy!

Good Luck!!!
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Doug Kanter

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks

snip

Tube steak??? :-) There won't be children present for this, will there?

Old 04-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 04 May 2005 03:06:42p, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message

At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks

snip

Tube steak??? :-) There won't be children present for this, will there?

Hey, if she's doing breasts and tube steaks, why bother with the burgers?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Report Julia Altshuler General Cooking 14 29-12-2007 08:40 PM
Pot luck Recipes? SPOONS General Cooking 2 30-11-2003 08:36 PM