Old 28-06-2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wish Me Luck

I had some Musgovian ingredients around the kitchen.

One lb of chevre, just past its use by date (what could go wrong with
it anyway, it's already cheese)

20 ounces of cream cheese

A ton of sour cream

Overlooked and past their prime chocolate chunk cookies and chocolate
almond biscotti.

I ground up the cookies & biscotti with some mixed nuts, tossed in
melted butter and pressed it into a 10" spring form pan as a crust. I
put it in the freezer to set while I mixed up:

The cheeses, a cup and a half of sour cream, a cup and a half of
sugar, zest from an orange, vanilla, 6 eggs, bit of flour. Then I
let it all get beaten in the Kenwood until it begged for mercy.

It is in the oven now. We'll see if we wind up with cheesecake. If so,
there are strawberries and blackberries to place on top.

What's the worst that can happen, the stuff had to be tossed anyway...
(well, except for the fruit).

Boron

Old 28-06-2009, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an interesting experiment. Do let us know how it turns out.

Bob
Old 28-06-2009, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

I had some goat cheese once that involved mandarin oranges, I think. It
was wonderful. Call your cardiologist.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Old 28-06-2009, 08:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 1:36 pm, Boron Elgar wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a thing. Not a great adventure, but still - more fun than
knowing exacty what you are doing.

Old 28-06-2009, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
I had some Musgovian ingredients around the kitchen.

The cheeses, a cup and a half of sour cream, a cup and a half of
sugar, zest from an orange, vanilla, 6 eggs, bit of flour. Then I
let it all get beaten in the Kenwood until it begged for mercy.

It is in the oven now. We'll see if we wind up with cheesecake. If so,
there are strawberries and blackberries to place on top.

What's the worst that can happen, the stuff had to be tossed anyway...
(well, except for the fruit).

It sounds delicious, even if you have to eat it with a spoon, but all
those eggs should be enough to solidify the mixture.

gloria p

Old 28-06-2009, 09:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:36:16 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

[...]

Have you been watching "chopped"? The combinations they get are
just plain weird. Yesterday was donuts, smoked gouda, white chocolate
and dried apricots. Keeryst.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
[...]

Thanks B! You gave me the afternoon snork.

Bob
Old 29-06-2009, 01:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:36:22 -0500, Melba's Jammin'

Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

I have palpitations already. Angina, maybe, too.

Consensus is that the creation is similar in taste to an Orange Milano
cookie. Very chocolate in the crust (and the sauce, which was sour
cream, cream, sugar and Special Dark cocoa) and very orangey in the
cheesecake part.

Only drawback was that the cake cracked as it cooled. Ah well, I
thought I'd avoid baking it in a water bath by putting some flour into
the mixture, but it is amazing what sins a bit of chocolate sauce will
cover.

There was no overt chevre taste, just a nice, creamy sweetness.

Me? I had two bites off of someone else's plate and was happy just to
sit back and watch the smiles...and the cholesterol ratings.

Boron
Old 29-06-2009, 10:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

[...]

Sounds downright creative. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 29-06-2009, 10:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

Consensus is that the creation is similar in taste to an Orange Milano
cookie. Very chocolate in the crust (and the sauce, which was sour
cream, cream, sugar and Special Dark cocoa) and very orangey in the
cheesecake part.

Only drawback was that the cake cracked as it cooled. Ah well, I
thought I'd avoid baking it in a water bath by putting some flour into
the mixture, but it is amazing what sins a bit of chocolate sauce will
cover.

There was no overt chevre taste, just a nice, creamy sweetness.

Me? I had two bites off of someone else's plate and was happy just to
sit back and watch the smiles...and the cholesterol ratings.

Boron

Evil dude. ;-)
Thanks for the update.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Old 29-06-2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:42:48 -0700 (PDT), bulka
wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:36 pm, Boron Elgar wrote:
I had some Musgovian ingredients around the kitchen.

What's the worst that can happen, the stuff had to be tossed anyway...
(well, except for the fruit).

Boron

Sounds like a thing. Not a great adventure, but still - more fun than
knowing exacty what you are doing.

Ahh, but I've been baking long enough to know what I am doing. Even if
I need to pay close attention to the chemistry of something, such as a
cheesecake to make sure it will bake up with the proper texture I
seek, if I have doubts, I can eyeball a recipe or two for something
similar and know exactly where I get creative and where I must not
bend the rules.

Boron

Old 29-06-2009, 06:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On Jun 28, 1:36 pm, Boron Elgar wrote:
I had some Musgovian ingredients around the kitchen.

What's the worst that can happen, the stuff had to be tossed anyway...
(well, except for the fruit).

Boron

Sounds like a thing. Not a great adventure, but still - more fun than
knowing exacty what you are doing.

Ahh, but I've been baking long enough to know what I am doing. Even if
I need to pay close attention to the chemistry of something, such as a
cheesecake to make sure it will bake up with the proper texture I
seek, if I have doubts, I can eyeball a recipe or two for something
similar and know exactly where I get creative and where I must not
bend the rules.

Boron

A man of common sense. What are you doing here? :-)

Bob

Old 29-06-2009, 11:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

Ahh, but I've been baking long enough to know what I am doing. Even if
I need to pay close attention to the chemistry of something, such as a
cheesecake to make sure it will bake up with the proper texture I
seek, if I have doubts, I can eyeball a recipe or two for something
similar and know exactly where I get creative and where I must not
bend the rules.

Boron

A man of common sense. What are you doing here? :-)

Bob

Actually she's a woman and has been here a long time.

gloria p
Old 29-06-2009, 11:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria.p wrote:
Bob Muncie wrote:
Boron Elgar wrote:

Ahh, but I've been baking long enough to know what I am doing. Even if
I need to pay close attention to the chemistry of something, such as a
cheesecake to make sure it will bake up with the proper texture I
seek, if I have doubts, I can eyeball a recipe or two for something
similar and know exactly where I get creative and where I must not
bend the rules.

Boron

A man of common sense. What are you doing here? :-)

Bob

Actually she's a woman and has been here a long time.

gloria p

Okay, Sue me.. no wait. Let me pull the size 12 out of my mouth :-)

Besides, The question still applies, but was answered in a roundabout
way :-)

Bob

Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Report Julia Altshuler General Cooking 14 29-12-2007 08:40 PM
Pot Luck Help Rich General Cooking 49 08-05-2005 09:17 PM
Pot luck Recipes? SPOONS General Cooking 2 30-11-2003 08:36 PM