Rich

Default Pot Luck Help

I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.

Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Thanks.
--

--Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

rmg

"Rich" > wrote in message
news
> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park.

What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be

available.
> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has

been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel

right.

> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler

or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Hmm. How about crepes (they are pretty hearty actually). Wrap them together
in saran in your little cooler.
You could make-ahead some nice fillings like:

- creme fraiche, smoked salmon, dill and/or a bit of roe
- fresh berries and creme fraiche
- nice thinly sliced ham and light cheese for rolling with the crepe
- get a jar of Embasa Mole and mix a little of it with sour cream or cream
cheese. Fill the crepe with that and smoked chicken or turkey

Well, that's a start...

cheers, rox

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 04 May 2005 01:05:55p, Rich wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park.
> What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be
> flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the
> reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will
> be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt
> that it has been lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks,
> so just taking something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken
> doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.

Make it easy on yourself. Fruit pies, cakes, bar cookies and other cookies
all travel well, often even without a cooler. I would try to work with
fresh veggies, fruits, or meats with a target like that.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Sheldon

Rich wrote:
> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public

park. What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be

flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the

reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be

available.
> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it

has been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking

> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel

right.

> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a

cooler

Long as there's ice canned ham will survive in a cooler... could
probably purchase the hams (and cooler) when you arrive... no point in
lugging all that on the plane, get a styrofoam chest - lotsa ladies
have the same)

> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Easy enough to prepare ham steaks at the park with a charcoal grill...
maybe bring a few jugs of sauce (I like Chinese duck sauce doctored
w/crushed pineapple, etc.)... might want to heat some canned beans too.
Uh uh, dont discard that ice filled chest just yet, load it with
brewskies.

Sheldon

Dimitri

"Rich" > wrote in message
news
>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What to
>take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a two
>day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think
>Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for
>years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking something from
>the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.
> --
>

> --Rich

Decent size city in Missouri?

Dimitri

Renee

"Rich" > wrote in message
news
>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.
> --
>

> --Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Will there be grills at the park?

Would you have time or facilities to cook (at your mom's place?) in Florida
before the road trip? If so, try slow cooking some slabs of baby-back ribs
in the oven using your favorite recipe. When you're ready to go, wrap them
in foil, pack in a cooler, and they should keep for a couple of days as long
as you're refreshing the ice. They're good eaten cold, though much better if
you use a grill to reheat them. Then you can baste with your favorite sauce
and grill until slightly charred.

Costco and Sam's always have nice baby backs.

Gal Called Jani

One time on Usenet, "Rich" > said:

> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Does the park have public grills? Many in my area do -- you could
do some kabobs or something similar. Make the sauces at your Mom's
house, then get fresh meat and veggies and you're set...

--
Jani in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"The ships hung in the sky in much the same
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Rich wrote on 04 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics.
> I will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in
> motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old
> Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for
> years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't
> feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.

This keeps a long time (weeks) if fridgerated . It works well as a dip
for pretzels, graham crakers or cookies. Women have been known to
want to roll in the stuff.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

aka Kathy's Chocolate Pate

none

1 cup unsalted butter 250 ml
1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 ml
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp. brandy 30 ml or Rum
2 tsp. vanilla 10 ml
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate 250 g melted; and cooled
1 cup whipping cream 250 ml

In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in
egg yolks, rum and vanilla. Blend in chocolate.

Whip cream lightly and stir into chocolate mixture. Turn into 3-cup
(750
ml) mould or small pots. Chill until firm, at least 8 hours. (If you
make
it the night before you can eat it for lunch and still have enough time
make another batch
for dessert).

Makes about 8 servings.

(actually it makes about two servings - if you have the right people).

Use a light flexible metal mould or small pots or crocks. The recipe
cam be
doubled for a large mould (or two small ones).

From Kathy

Tried this and it is good...with congac.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 04 May 2005 02:09:01p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Rich wrote on 04 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
>> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics.
>> I will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
>> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in
>> motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old
>> Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for
>> years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't
>> feel right.
>>
>> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
>> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>>
>> Thanks.

> This keeps a long time (weeks) if fridgerated . It works well as a dip
> for pretzels, graham crakers or cookies. Women have been known to

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> want to roll in the stuff.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you been encouraging this activity when you serve this?

BTW, it sounds really good.

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> aka Kathy's Chocolate Pate
>
> none
>
> 1 cup unsalted butter 250 ml
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 ml
> 4 egg yolks
> 2 tbsp. brandy 30 ml or Rum
> 2 tsp. vanilla 10 ml
> 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate 250 g melted; and cooled
> 1 cup whipping cream 250 ml
>
> In mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in
> egg yolks, rum and vanilla. Blend in chocolate.
>
> Whip cream lightly and stir into chocolate mixture. Turn into 3-cup
> (750
> ml) mould or small pots. Chill until firm, at least 8 hours. (If you
> make
> it the night before you can eat it for lunch and still have enough time
> make another batch
> for dessert).
>
> Makes about 8 servings.
>
> (actually it makes about two servings - if you have the right people).
>
> Use a light flexible metal mould or small pots or crocks. The recipe
> cam be
> doubled for a large mould (or two small ones).
>
> From Kathy
>
> Tried this and it is good...with congac.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Doug Kanter

"Rich" > wrote in message
news
>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.

Bring a cast iron frying pan, your favorite knife, a plastic cutting board,
and some medium size serving bowls and spoons. Plastic wrap to cover the
food while people are playing bocci or softball or whatever.

Go to a grocery store when you get there. Buy:

Containers of hummus
Cucumbers
Tomatoes, not too ripe
Lettuce (not iceberg)
Red cabbage
Pita bread
Felafel mix
Tuna salad, already made at the deli counter.

The frying pan is for the felafels. Some mixes require only the addition of
water, then browning in oil. They're served warm or cold. Chop up the
vegetables and let people make their own pita sandwiches. Nice, cool food
for a hot day. The tuna is there in the event you have some redneck who
"ain't gonna eat none of that there Arab food".

Renee

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> Rich wrote on 04 May 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
>> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics.
>> I will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
>> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in
>> motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old
>> Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for
>> years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't
>> feel right.
>>
>> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
>> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>>
>> Thanks.

> This keeps a long time (weeks) if fridgerated . It works well as a dip
> for pretzels, graham crakers or cookies. Women have been known to
> want to roll in the stuff.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> aka Kathy's Chocolate Pate
>
> none
>
> 1 cup unsalted butter 250 ml
> 1/4 cup granulated sugar 50 ml
> 4 egg yolks

I'd be a little hesitant to store anything with 4 raw egg yolks for too long
of a time. "Weeks" just doesn't sound right for eating. Maybe it's okay for
the rolling around part.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Rich"
> wrote:

> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I
> will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels,
> so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas
> camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for years. We both have
> reputations as good cooks, so just taking something from the
> supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

> Thanks.

This doesn't answer your question, Rich, but I couldn't help but laugh!
At our family reunion in 1993, we had KFC cater the food. We were in a
public park and just wanted things to be simple.

At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks, a
couple sides, watermelon, lemonade, and are asking the local folks to
bring bars for dessert. There'll be a prize for the best bars. And
I've already been told I'm not to pout if my brownies don't win.

Personally, I think you should forget about trying to dazzle them with
anything, bring a jug of something boozy, and have yourself a good time.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am! 5/3/05
Bubba

Rich wrote:

>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
>Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
>could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
>Thanks.

A trick I once used to freeze a cassoulet for a Thanksgiving camping trip:
Everything went into ziplock freezer bags and was frozen. I placed a
small cooler filled with water in a chest freezer and when the edges had
iced I inserted the frozen bags and completed freezing the water-filled
cooler....locking the already frozen baggies in a big ice cube.
Six days after removing the cooler from the freezer I had to run
everything under water in order to thaw it.
A cassoulet in a tent under the pines....with the Love of my
life.....not bad for a po' dumb country boy!

Good Luck!!!
Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Doug Kanter

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks

<snip>

Tube steak??? :-) There won't be children present for this, will there?

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 04 May 2005 03:06:42p, Doug Kanter wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>> At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks

> <snip>
>
> Tube steak??? :-) There won't be children present for this, will there?

Hey, if she's doing breasts and tube steaks, why bother with the burgers?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Dave Smith

Rich wrote:

> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

I don't think that anyone in their right mind is going to expect someone who had
spent two days travelling to bring something home-made. Stop at a nice bakery
and pick up a pie, tarts, cookies, or go to a fruit market and get some fresh
fruit or a fruit platter.

The Cook

"Doug Kanter" > wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>
>> At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks

><snip>
>
>Tube steak??? :-) There won't be children present for this, will there?

If they are members of the family. I am in the process of planning a
family reunion. I only have one family to locate. And thanks to
Charlie Gifford for sending me the cookin checklist. I am looking
forward to meeting a couple of generations that I do not know. Of
course after 2 funerals last week, I did get to see several of them.

I am hoping for pot luck and also hoping that the younger generations
can cook.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Del Cecchi

"Rich" > wrote in message
news
>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.
> --
>

> --Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Set of ingredients for Macaroni Salad. Mix and add dressing at last minute?
Potato Salad with a oil/vinegar type dressing? In fact if the coleman stove
works and it is a good cooler you could make fried chicken. Even if the
cooler isn't so good, just buy the chicken in a town on the way. Pour some
buttermilk over it the night before, and away you go.

How many do you have to feed?

Just remember to oil the leather in the pump and buy a can of coleman fuel.
Maybe a spare generator. Coleman stoves are pretty much indistructable.

del cecchi

Arri London

Rich wrote:

> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.
> --
>
> --Rich De gustibus non est disputandum.

Buy one of those cheap disposable metal grills for charcoal and a sack
of charcoal (most supermarkets have them this time of year). Get some
ice for the cooler, box of large freezer bags, some plain yoghurt,
tandoori paste or powder and some chicken legs or thighs. Mix the
tandoori paste and yoghurt to the desired strength, rub it into the
chicken parts (using your impeccably clean hands) and put in the plastic
bags on ice in the cooler for one hour. Take to the park and grill on
the spot.

If you don't like tandoori, yoghurt and nearly any spice combo will work
just as well.

jmcquown

Rich wrote:
> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I
> will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels,
> so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas
> camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for years. We both have
> reputations as good cooks, so just taking something from the
> supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.

You'd be surprised how many little motels offer "full kitchens". To my
surprise we found a 2 burner kitchen with a mini fridge and microwave in
Highland, Illinois last year, which is a tiny town. So Google and call
ahead to check what might be available near the park. Many parks also have
grills and such for people to use for picnics so it's not inconceivable for
you to buy some stuff at the local store and take it there in a cooler to
grill on their facilities.

Have fun!

Jill

Rich

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Rich" > wrote in message
> news
>>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park.
>>What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be
>>flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the
>>reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will
>>be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt
>>that it has been lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so
>>just taking something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken
>>doesn't feel right.
>>
>> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
>> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>>

>> --Rich

> Decent size city in Missouri?
>
> Dimitri

Hannibal

--Rich

Rich

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Rich"
> > wrote:
>
>> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
>> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I
>> will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
>> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels,
>> so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas
>> camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for years. We both have
>> reputations as good cooks, so just taking something from the
>> supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>>
>> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
>> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

>> Thanks.

> This doesn't answer your question, Rich, but I couldn't help but laugh!
> At our family reunion in 1993, we had KFC cater the food. We were in a
> public park and just wanted things to be simple.
>
> At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks, a
> couple sides, watermelon, lemonade, and are asking the local folks to
> bring bars for dessert. There'll be a prize for the best bars. And
> I've already been told I'm not to pout if my brownies don't win.
>
> Personally, I think you should forget about trying to dazzle them with
> anything, bring a jug of something boozy, and have yourself a good time.
> --
> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am! 5/3/05

Forget the jug. There won't even be a beer in sight amongst this throng of
Hardshell Baptists. I may have to carry a hip flask for surreptitious gulps
while in the portapotty.

--Rich

Nancy Young

"Rich" > wrote

> Forget the jug. There won't even be a beer in sight amongst this throng of
> Hardshell Baptists. I may have to carry a hip flask for surreptitious
> gulps while in the portapotty.

You made me laugh at a memory. Ron and I went to Manhattan to see a
play, and he wanted to show me this hotel. Marriot Marquis, I think. So,
they had this ... I don't know ... exhibit which was a fitness thing. All
these
fit professionals (notice they took the escalators, not the stairs) with
their
bottles of water blah blah blah.

(laughing) So, we both needed to drop some weight at the time. He pipes
up, I feel like a drunk at a Baptist convention. I laughed myself sick
which
is not a good idea on an escalator.

Too friggin funny. Think we saw Showboat that day.

nancy

Doug Kanter

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> "Doug Kanter" > wrote:
>
>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>
>>> At this summer's reunion, we're doing burgers, breasts, tube steaks

>><snip>
>>
>>Tube steak??? :-) There won't be children present for this, will there?
>>

> If they are members of the family. I am in the process of planning a
> family reunion. I only have one family to locate. And thanks to
> Charlie Gifford for sending me the cookin checklist. I am looking
> forward to meeting a couple of generations that I do not know. Of
> course after 2 funerals last week, I did get to see several of them.
>
> I am hoping for pot luck and also hoping that the younger generations
> can cook.

Cook? It seems the younger generation can't even find the friggin' library
to take out a book! :-) You're lucky if you get chips and packaged dip.

pjjehg

"Rich" wrote ...
>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

BOK CHOY SALAD (Sandy Gamble - RFC 9/6/98) (12 servings)

2 bunches bok choy; chopped - use both green & white

3 green onion stalks; sliced - white & a little green

Crunchies

½ c. butter

2 Tbsp sugar (or more to taste)

4 oz sliced almonds

2 pk Ramen noodles - crumbled

½ c. sesame seeds

Dressing

1 c. canola oil

½ c. granulated sugar

¼ c. raspberry red wine vinegar

2 ½ Tbsp soy sauce

Optional

1 c. Mandarin oranges; drained

Start this the day before.

For the dressing:

Combine the oil and sugar in a bowl and micro for 2 minutes to dissolve
sugar. Let cool, then add the vinegar and soy sauce. Chill overnight.

For the crunchies:

In a large skillet, on medium heat, melt butter and sugar until hot. Add the
sesame seeds, almonds and noodles. Toast 10 minutes, stirring constantly
until lightly browned. Let cool completely and place in a zip-lock type bag
and store at room temperature until next day.

Just before serving, toss everything together in a large salad bowl.

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 04 May 2005 20:05:55 GMT, "Rich" > wrote:

>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
>Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
>could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

Got just the thing, which I took to a cookin held out of state, which
got rave reviews:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Tequila And Lime Cured Gravlax

appetizers, fish and seafood

For the dry cu
1 1/2 pounds side of salmon (sushi grade); unsliced, skin on
1 1/2 cups kosher salt
3 cups light brown sugar
For the liquid cu
1/2 cup tequila
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
zest of 1 lemon; colored part of peel
; only
zest of 1 orange; colored part of peel
; only
2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
3 sprigs fresh dill; with stems
3 sprigs fresh mint; with stems
3 sprigs fresh basil; with stems

Day One - The Dry Cu Mix the salt and sugar together and reserve
1/3 of
it for Day Two. Next to the salmon, place a plastic-wrapped jelly roll
pan
and, forming a bed 1/4" thick along the length and width of the
salmon,
spread the cure. Turn the salmon over and lay it fresh side down on
the
cure. Scatter leftover cure along the sides and ends of the fish, and
then
pull the plastic up so it wraps around the fish securely and will
capture
extruding juices. Place a board or another pan on the fish and set 5
pounds
of cans or other heavy objects on the board to weigh down the salmon.
Refrigerate for 24 hours.

Day Two - The Liquid Cu Pour the tequila and the lime juice into a
bowl
and stir in the zests. Place the coriander seeds in a plastic bag, lay
it
on your work surface, and crush the seeds with a rolling pin or the
bottom
of a heavy pan; pour them into the bowl, then chop the herbs roughly
and
stir them in. Pour the tequila marinade into a second plastic-lined
jelly
roll pan, spreading the zests and herbs out so they are evenly
distributed
on what will be the length and width of the fish. Sprinkle the
reserved dry
cure over the liquid, again reserving a bit for the ends and sides.
Remove
the salmon from the refrigerator and lay it flesh side down on top of
the
cure, scattering the dry ingredients along the sides and ends of the
fish.
Wrap the plastic around it, replace the board and weights, and
refrigerate
for at least another two days and up to four.

Slice the salmon into thin, long, wide, handsome pieces, using smooth,
long
strokes with your very sharp, long knife, and that you leave the skin
on
the cutting board. Cut only as much as you plan to eat. Store the
salmon in
its cure, but it need not be kept weighted down. Cured salmon will
keep
for at least 10 days in the refrigerator.

Contributor: Monique Barbeau

Yield: 25 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Puester

Rich wrote:
> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?

I wouldn't take the chance of making everyone ill with
perishable food that has been sitting in a cooler for
two days or more.

Fruit salad that can be made at the park, a selection of
nice cheeses and crackers, or, as Barb said, a gallon
thermos of fruit juice with rum or gin would be a nice
addition to the party.

You could buy a watermelon and a couple of other melons,
carve the watermelon into a basket, and fill with melon balls.

Don't make anyone sick, please!

gloria p

Rich

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> [...]

> Slice the salmon into thin, long, wide, handsome pieces, using smooth,
> long
> strokes with your very sharp, long knife, and that you leave the skin
> on
> the cutting board. Cut only as much as you plan to eat. Store the
> salmon in
> its cure, but it need not be kept weighted down. Cured salmon will
> keep
> for at least 10 days in the refrigerator.
>
> Contributor: Monique Barbeau
>
> Yield: 25 servings
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
>

> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as
> old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as full as the
> waitress's, it would have been a very good dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>
> To reply, replace "spaminator" with "cox"

I love the idea of sneaking some Tequila into these hardcore teetotalers,
but as I'll be flying to Florida on August 1, and leaving for Missouri early
the next morning, there won't be time to do all that marinating under
weights in the refrigerator. The recipe sounds good, though . . . I'll try
it here at home.

--Rich

Rich

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Rich wrote:
>> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park.
>> What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be
>> flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the
>> reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will
>> be available. I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt
>> that it has been lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks,
>> so just taking something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken
>> doesn't feel right.
>>
>> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
>> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>>

> I wouldn't take the chance of making everyone ill with
> perishable food that has been sitting in a cooler for
> two days or more.
>
> Fruit salad that can be made at the park, a selection of
> nice cheeses and crackers, or, as Barb said, a gallon
> thermos of fruit juice with rum or gin would be a nice
> addition to the party.
>
> You could buy a watermelon and a couple of other melons,
> carve the watermelon into a basket, and fill with melon balls.
>
> Don't make anyone sick, please!
>
> gloria p

I had already thought of taking a few pineapples from here in Hawaii, and
using them to make ambrosia at the park. Watermelon does sound good, but
some public parks ban them because of the mess they leave.

--Rich

Terry Pulliam Burd

On Wed, 4 May 2005 19:40:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

<snip>

>(laughing) So, we both needed to drop some weight at the time. He pipes
>up, I feel like a drunk at a Baptist convention. I laughed myself sick
>which
>is not a good idea on an escalator.

The above reminded me of a quip I heard from one of our Mormon
clients: Never go fishing with only one Mormon or he'll drink all your
beer.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Staycalm

"Rich" > wrote in message
>Watermelon does sound good, but some public parks ban them because of the
>mess they leave.
>
> --Rich

<shakes head in astonishment>

Liz

kilikini

Rich wrote:
> "Puester" > wrote in message
>> Rich wrote:
>>> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public
>>> park. What to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I
>>> will be flying to Florida, then driving my mother in her car to
>>> Missouri for the reunion, a two day trip. We'll be staying in
>>> motels, so no kitchens will be available. I think Mom has an old
>>> Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been lit for years.
>>> We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking something
>>> from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>>>
>>> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a
>>> cooler or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>>>

>> I wouldn't take the chance of making everyone ill with
>> perishable food that has been sitting in a cooler for
>> two days or more.
>>
>> Fruit salad that can be made at the park, a selection of
>> nice cheeses and crackers, or, as Barb said, a gallon
>> thermos of fruit juice with rum or gin would be a nice
>> addition to the party.
>>
>> You could buy a watermelon and a couple of other melons,
>> carve the watermelon into a basket, and fill with melon balls.
>>
>> Don't make anyone sick, please!
>>
>> gloria p
>>

> I had already thought of taking a few pineapples from here in Hawaii,
> and using them to make ambrosia at the park. Watermelon does sound
> good, but some public parks ban them because of the mess they leave.
>
> --Rich

Rich, you're in Hawaii? Which island? I just moved from Maui to Florida 7
months ago and I'm absolutely sick over it. Florida is a god-awful state
and I'm completely miserable. Sorry to hear you have to even come here to
pick up your mom; she should move to the islands.

kili

Dimitri

"Rich" > wrote in message

<snip>
>>> --Rich

>> Decent size city in Missouri?
>>
>> Dimitri

> Hannibal
>
> --Rich

I would be tempted to ask any local family about:

Bubba's- 101 Church (on the waterfront) - (573)221-5552
- catfish, pit smoked BBQ, steaks, italian, seafood and cajun specialties.

If that place or any other BBQ joint is any good bring local take out Ribs and
slaw.

Dimitri

Rich

"kilikini" > wrote in message
news
> Rich wrote:

>>> I wouldn't take the chance of making everyone ill with
>>> perishable food that has been sitting in a cooler for
>>> two days or more.
>>>
>>> Fruit salad that can be made at the park, a selection of
>>> nice cheeses and crackers, or, as Barb said, a gallon
>>> thermos of fruit juice with rum or gin would be a nice
>>> addition to the party.
>>>
>>> You could buy a watermelon and a couple of other melons,
>>> carve the watermelon into a basket, and fill with melon balls.
>>>
>>> Don't make anyone sick, please!
>>>
>>> gloria p
>>>

>> I had already thought of taking a few pineapples from here in Hawaii,
>> and using them to make ambrosia at the park. Watermelon does sound
>> good, but some public parks ban them because of the mess they leave.
>>
>> --Rich

> Rich, you're in Hawaii? Which island? I just moved from Maui to Florida
> 7
> months ago and I'm absolutely sick over it. Florida is a god-awful state
> and I'm completely miserable. Sorry to hear you have to even come here to
> pick up your mom; she should move to the islands.
>
> kili

Da' Big Islan', Kailua-Kona. I bet it's hard to find li hing mui or crack
seed or spam musabi in florida. Just don't go into one of those cracker bars
and ask if they have any pu-pu's.

--Rich

-L.

Rich wrote:
> I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public

park. What
> to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be

flying to
> Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the

reunion, a
> two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be

available.

If you haven't already booked your hotel, look into Residence Inn or
Extended Stay America. Both have kitchens, but Residence Inn is much
nicer - the 2 BR suites are like condos and they aren't that much more
than a regular hotel room.

> I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it

has been
> lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking

> something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel

right.

> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a

cooler or
> could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.

I often make wraps (sandwiches) with various things in them - some
veggie only, some ham + cheddar, some turkey + provolone. If you use a
large burrito
wrapper (flour tortillas), you can make a pretty hefty wrap, wrap it in
foil and cut it in half which is plenty for most people, and they
present well. Last time I made them, they were snarfed up before I
could even taste one. You can buy the ingredients when you get to
your destination, make them ahead and stick them in the cooler, in
ziplocs.

For the Ham, I used applewood-smoked cheddar and bacon cheese spread,
ham, medium cheddar cheese, lettuce, and tomato. I made some on tomato
tortillas, some on plain.

For the Turkey, I used garlic and chive cream cheese spread, turkey,
provalone, lettuce, avacado and some with tomato. I put some on
spinach tortillas and some on plain.

For the Veggie, I used avacado, the two cheeses, lettuce, tomato, black
olives and thin slices of marinated (Italian dressing) grilled zuchini
and portobella mushrooms (The day before I assembeled the wraps, I
marinated them an hour or so, and grilled them on my George Forman.
Drained thme and chilled them). I made some wraps with cheese and some
without (Vegan). All on plain tortillas. You could omit the grilled
veggies and just do avacado, cheese and veggies.

Like I said, these are *always* a hit, no matter where I take them.

-L.

kilikini

Rich wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> news
>> Rich wrote:

>>> I had already thought of taking a few pineapples from here in
>>> Hawaii, and using them to make ambrosia at the park. Watermelon
>>> does sound
>>> good, but some public parks ban them because of the mess they leave.
>>>
>>> --Rich

>> Rich, you're in Hawaii? Which island? I just moved from Maui to
>> Florida 7
>> months ago and I'm absolutely sick over it. Florida is a god-awful
>> state and I'm completely miserable. Sorry to hear you have to even
>> come here to pick up your mom; she should move to the islands.
>>
>> kili
>>

> Da' Big Islan', Kailua-Kona. I bet it's hard to find li hing mui or
> crack seed or spam musabi in florida. Just don't go into one of those
> cracker bars and ask if they have any pu-pu's.
>
> --Rich

Li hing mui sour apple candy! Or li hing mui mango! Wanna mail me some?
<veg> I still use my pidgin and I'm teaching all the kids around here our
"slang". I am not losing it!

kili

Ranee Mueller

In article >, "kilikini"
> wrote:

> Rich, you're in Hawaii? Which island? I just moved from Maui to
> Florida 7 months ago and I'm absolutely sick over it. Florida is a
> god-awful state and I'm completely miserable. Sorry to hear you have
> to even come here to pick up your mom; she should move to the
> islands.

I thought you didn't like living in HI? What is going on in FL that
is so bad?

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Terry Pulliam Burd

On Thu, 05 May 2005 02:09:13 GMT, "Rich" > wrote:

>I love the idea of sneaking some Tequila into these hardcore teetotalers,
>but as I'll be flying to Florida on August 1, and leaving for Missouri early
>the next morning, there won't be time to do all that marinating under
>weights in the refrigerator. The recipe sounds good, though . . . I'll try
>it here at home.

Actually, it will keep for up to 2 weeks after marinating if kept
cold.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

kilikini

Ranee Mueller wrote:
> In article >, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>> Rich, you're in Hawaii? Which island? I just moved from Maui to
>> Florida 7 months ago and I'm absolutely sick over it. Florida is a
>> god-awful state and I'm completely miserable. Sorry to hear you have
>> to even come here to pick up your mom; she should move to the
>> islands.

> I thought you didn't like living in HI? What is going on in FL
> that is so bad?
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Oh no, I absolutely LOVED Hawaii! I swore I was going to die there, but no,
I met my husband and had to move to Florida to be with him. Florida is
buggy, flat, dismal, stormy, weedy, swampy and redneck-ish. The town I
moved to is Cowtown; there is no theater, no decent restaurants, no seafood.
There are no jobs here in my field. The closest town is Tampa Bay and
that's about an hour away.

I miss my flowers, my mountains, my ocean, my friends, the tradewinds, the
food, the fragrance of the air. I miss walks on the beach. I miss hearing
the pidgin language, the Hawaiian music, the culture.

Far cry from Redneck Florida. Sigh.

kili

Wish Me Luck Boron Elgar[_1_] General Cooking 16 30-06-2009 02:35 AM
Pot Luck Dimitri General Cooking 0 23-04-2009 01:55 AM
Wish me luck TFM®[_2_] Barbecue 7 13-09-2008 04:43 PM
Pot Luck Report Julia Altshuler General Cooking 14 29-12-2007 08:40 PM
Pot luck Recipes? SPOONS General Cooking 2 30-11-2003 08:36 PM