Doug Kanter

"Rich" > wrote in message
news
>I am going to a family reunion in August, a pot luck in a public park. What
>to take is the question. This is problem of logistics. I will be flying to
>Florida, then driving my mother in her car to Missouri for the reunion, a
>two day trip. We'll be staying in motels, so no kitchens will be available.
>I think Mom has an old Coleman gas camp stove, but I coubt that it has been
>lit for years. We both have reputations as good cooks, so just taking
>something from the supermarket deli or some KFC chicken doesn't feel right.
>
> Any ideas for a pot luck offering that could survive two days in a cooler
> or could be improvised in the motel or in the park?
>
> Thanks.

Bring a cast iron frying pan, your favorite knife, a plastic cutting board,
and some medium size serving bowls and spoons. Plastic wrap to cover the
food while people are playing bocci or softball or whatever.

Go to a grocery store when you get there. Buy:

Containers of hummus
Cucumbers
Tomatoes, not too ripe
Lettuce (not iceberg)
Red cabbage
Pita bread
Felafel mix
Tuna salad, already made at the deli counter.

The frying pan is for the felafels. Some mixes require only the addition of
water, then browning in oil. They're served warm or cold. Chop up the
vegetables and let people make their own pita sandwiches. Nice, cool food
for a hot day. The tuna is there in the event you have some redneck who
"ain't gonna eat none of that there Arab food".