Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stuffed shells for dinner.

I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed shells
wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree Drummond's
recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she said to cook the
shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the open side down! Perfect!

Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that I got
for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was excellent and
one jar was enough for two pans. The filling was a large container of
ricotta mixed with chopped spinach that I had cooked down in a little olive
oil, dried parsley, oregano, black pepper and whatever Italian cheese I had.
A mix of Parmesan, Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella. Ree said to under fill
the shells. I didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not quite use all of the
pasta. A few pieces were broken too much. I know I could have tossed them in
here and there or saved them for soup, but I didn't.

Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered in
more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350 degrees
for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.

Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and Feta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 12:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed shells
> wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree
> Drummond's recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she said
> to cook the shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the open side
> down! Perfect!

I never had a problem with them facing UP. Don't know what's going on
with you or Ree Drummond.

> Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that I
> got for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was
> excellent and one jar was enough for two pans.

Sure you do (buy it). Not to worry, lots of people do.

> The filling was a large
> container of ricotta mixed with chopped spinach that I had cooked down
> in a little olive oil, dried parsley, oregano, black pepper and whatever
> Italian cheese I had. A mix of Parmesan, Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella.
> Ree said to under fill the shells. I didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not
> quite use all of the pasta. A few pieces were broken too much. I know I
> could have tossed them in here and there or saved them for soup, but I
> didn't.
>
> Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered in
> more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350
> degrees for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.
>
> Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and Feta.

I like the cheeses and spinach in the shells with the tomato sauce. I
don't do it very often but stuffed shells are quite nice. They freeze
well, too.

I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg, ricotta
and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce. Not that you'd make it,
just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta shells.

Jill

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 21:54:47 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed shells
>wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree Drummond's
>recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she said to cook the
>shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the open side down! Perfect!
>
>Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that I got
>for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was excellent and
>one jar was enough for two pans. The filling was a large container of
>ricotta mixed with chopped spinach that I had cooked down in a little olive
>oil, dried parsley, oregano, black pepper and whatever Italian cheese I had.
>A mix of Parmesan, Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella. Ree said to under fill
>the shells. I didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not quite use all of the
>pasta. A few pieces were broken too much. I know I could have tossed them in
>here and there or saved them for soup, but I didn't.
>
>Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered in
>more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350 degrees
>for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.
>
>Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and Feta.

Sounds good, Julie. I've been thinking of doing the shells for a
while now. Soon, I think. I've got a thawed chuck roast in the
fridge that I have to make into pot roast first. Thanks for the idea.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/7/2019 12:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed shells
>> wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree Drummond's
>> recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she said to cook the
>> shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the open side down!
>> Perfect!
>>

> I never had a problem with them facing UP. Don't know what's going on
> with you or Ree Drummond.

I don't think I had a problem with them that way either except that the
presentation was much nicer this way.

>> Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that I
>> got for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was
>> excellent and one jar was enough for two pans.

> Sure you do (buy it). Not to worry, lots of people do.

Not usually that brand.

>> The filling was a large container of ricotta mixed with chopped spinach
>> that I had cooked down in a little olive oil, dried parsley, oregano,
>> black pepper and whatever Italian cheese I had. A mix of Parmesan,
>> Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella. Ree said to under fill the shells. I
>> didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not quite use all of the pasta. A few
>> pieces were broken too much. I know I could have tossed them in here and
>> there or saved them for soup, but I didn't.
>>
>> Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered in
>> more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350 degrees
>> for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.
>>
>> Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and
>> Feta.

> I like the cheeses and spinach in the shells with the tomato sauce. I
> don't do it very often but stuffed shells are quite nice. They freeze
> well, too.

I doubt that I'll have to freeze them.

> I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg, ricotta
> and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce. Not that you'd make it,
> just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta shells.

I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them with a
pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then smothered with
sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 21:54:47 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed shells
>>wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree Drummond's
>>recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she said to cook the
>>shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the open side down! Perfect!
>>
>>Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that I got
>>for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was excellent and
>>one jar was enough for two pans. The filling was a large container of
>>ricotta mixed with chopped spinach that I had cooked down in a little
>>olive
>>oil, dried parsley, oregano, black pepper and whatever Italian cheese I
>>had.
>>A mix of Parmesan, Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella. Ree said to under fill
>>the shells. I didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not quite use all of the
>>pasta. A few pieces were broken too much. I know I could have tossed them
>>in
>>here and there or saved them for soup, but I didn't.
>>
>>Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered in
>>more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350 degrees
>>for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.
>>
>>Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and
>>Feta.

> Sounds good, Julie. I've been thinking of doing the shells for a
> while now. Soon, I think. I've got a thawed chuck roast in the
> fridge that I have to make into pot roast first. Thanks for the idea.
> Janet US

Thanks! They were delish!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 5:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 3/7/2019 12:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed
>>> shells wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree
>>> Drummond's recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she
>>> said to cook the shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the
>>> open side down! Perfect!
>>>

>> I never had a problem with them facing UP.* Don't know what's going on
>> with you or Ree Drummond.

> I don't think I had a problem with them that way either except that the
> presentation was much nicer this way.
>>
>>> Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that
>>> I got for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was
>>> excellent and one jar was enough for two pans.

>> Sure you do (buy it).* Not to worry, lots of people do.

> Not usually that brand.
>>
>>> The filling was a large container of ricotta mixed with chopped
>>> spinach that I had cooked down in a little olive oil, dried parsley,
>>> oregano, black pepper and whatever Italian cheese I had. A mix of
>>> Parmesan, Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella. Ree said to under fill the
>>> shells. I didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not quite use all of the
>>> pasta. A few pieces were broken too much. I know I could have tossed
>>> them in here and there or saved them for soup, but I didn't.
>>>
>>> Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered
>>> in more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350
>>> degrees for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.
>>>
>>> Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and
>>> Feta.

>> I like the cheeses and spinach in the shells with the tomato sauce.* I
>> don't do it very often but stuffed shells are quite nice.* They freeze
>> well, too.
>>

> I doubt that I'll have to freeze them.
>
>> I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg,
>> ricotta and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce.* Not that you'd
>> make it, just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta
>> shells.

> I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them with
> a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
> smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
never made much sense to me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:10:01 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/7/2019 5:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg,
>>> ricotta and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce.* Not that you'd
>>> make it, just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta
>>> shells.

>> I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them with
>> a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
>> smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

>If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
>never made much sense to me.

I've had lots of pirogi, but never with a filling of potato. That
sounds a bit boring.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 3/7/2019 5:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I never had a problem with them facing UP.* Don't know what's going on
>>> with you or Ree Drummond.

>> I don't think I had a problem with them that way either except that the
>> presentation was much nicer this way.

>>> Sure you do (buy it).* Not to worry, lots of people do.

>> Not usually that brand.

>>> I like the cheeses and spinach in the shells with the tomato sauce.* I
>>> don't do it very often but stuffed shells are quite nice.* They freeze
>>> well, too.
>>>

>> I doubt that I'll have to freeze them.
>>
>>> I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg,
>>> ricotta and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce.* Not that you'd
>>> make it, just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta
>>> shells.

>> I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them with
>> a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
>> smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

>If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
>never made much sense to me.
>
>Jill

I've only had them a couple of times but pretty tasty.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 1:10 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>> I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them
>> with a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
>> smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

> If you like tuna, sure.Â* I've never had pierogi's.Â* Potatoes in pasta
> never made much sense to me.

You don't know what you are missing. They are delicious. It is not just
potato. They usually have cheese. I had a friend whose mother sometimes
made them with sauerkraut. I have a neigbhoour with a Polish and
Ukrainian background. She has a huge family and often hosts large
family parties and includes friends and neighbours. She will spend a day
or two preparing hundreds of those tasty little things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 2:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-07 1:10 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them
>>> with a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
>>> smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

>> If you like tuna, sure.Â* I've never had pierogi's.Â* Potatoes in pasta
>> never made much sense to me.
>>

> You don't know what you are missing. They are delicious. It is not just
> potato. They usually have cheese.Â* I had a friend whose mother sometimes
> made them with sauerkraut.Â* I have a neigbhoour with a Polish and
> Ukrainian background.Â* She has a huge family and often hosts large
> family parties and includes friends and neighbours. She will spend a day
> or two preparing hundreds of those tasty little things.

I can't miss what I don't know. I realize most contain cheese but
mashed potatoes in pasta is still not something I'm interested in.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2019-03-07 12:52 p.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> If you like tuna, sure.Â* I've never had pierogi's.Â* Potatoes in pasta
>>> never made much sense to me.
>>>

>> You don't know what you are missing. They are delicious. It is not
>> just potato. They usually have cheese.Â* I had a friend whose mother
>> sometimes made them with sauerkraut.Â* I have a neigbhoour with a
>> Polish and Ukrainian background.Â* She has a huge family and often
>> hosts large family parties and includes friends and neighbours. She
>> will spend a day or two preparing hundreds of those tasty little things.
>>

> I can't miss what I don't know. I realize most contain cheese but
> mashed potatoes in pasta is still not something I'm interested in.
>
> Jill

They are delicious but the trouble is that 3 days after eating them, you
are hungry again!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2019 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:

> I've had lots of pirogi, but never with a filling of potato. That
> sounds a bit boring.

Not always just potato - they often also contain onion, or cheese, or
cabbage.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:10:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> On 3/7/2019 5:35 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> >> I never had a problem with them facing UP.Â* Don't know what's going on
> >> with you or Ree Drummond.

> > I don't think I had a problem with them that way either except that the
> > presentation was much nicer this way.

> >> Sure you do (buy it).Â* Not to worry, lots of people do.

> > Not usually that brand.

> >> I like the cheeses and spinach in the shells with the tomato sauce.Â* I
> >> don't do it very often but stuffed shells are quite nice.Â* They freeze
> >> well, too.
> >>

> > I doubt that I'll have to freeze them.
> >
> >> I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg,
> >> ricotta and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce.Â* Not that you'd
> >> make it, just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta
> >> shells.

> > I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them with
> > a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
> > smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

> If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
> never made much sense to me.
>
> Jill

we used to eat perogis every once in a while. very tasty. mum made paprikash potatoes for the filling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:10:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
> never made much sense to me.
>
> Jill

Not all pierogi are filled with potato. I prefer cabbage, mushroom,
and/or sauerkraut. Pork is nice, too.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 12:28:23 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:10:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>
>> If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
>> never made much sense to me.
>>
>> Jill

>Not all pierogi are filled with potato. I prefer cabbage, mushroom,
>and/or sauerkraut. Pork is nice, too.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Cherry is good, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 15:05:31 -0500, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 3/7/2019 1:17 PM, Bruce wrote:
>
>> I've had lots of pirogi, but never with a filling of potato. That
>> sounds a bit boring.
>>

>Not always just potato - they often also contain onion, or cheese, or
>cabbage.

That sounds better. Potato and dough alone seems a bit lacking in
flavour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 14:15:24 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2019-03-07 1:10 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> I suppose they would be good with a tuna filling. I have done them
>>> with a pierogi filling. Mashed potatoes with onions and cheese, then
>>> smothered with sautéed onions. Yummy but carby!

>> If you like tuna, sure.* I've never had pierogi's.* Potatoes in pasta
>> never made much sense to me.
>>

>You don't know what you are missing. They are delicious. It is not just
>potato. They usually have cheese. I had a friend

You must have an entire army of friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 3:52:33 PM UTC-5, Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 12:28:23 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 1:10:12 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >
> >> If you like tuna, sure. I've never had pierogi's. Potatoes in pasta
> >> never made much sense to me.
> >>
> >> Jill

> >Not all pierogi are filled with potato. I prefer cabbage, mushroom,
> >and/or sauerkraut. Pork is nice, too.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Cherry is good, too.

I like prune pierogi for dessert, or at least I used to. I haven't
had them for decades.

I didn't get any paczki this year. Totally forgot to go to the bakery.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:05:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 3:52:33 PM UTC-5, Boron Elgar wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 12:28:23 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Not all pierogi are filled with potato. I prefer cabbage, mushroom,
>> >and/or sauerkraut. Pork is nice, too.
>> >
>> >Cindy Hamilton

>> Cherry is good, too.

>I like prune pierogi for dessert, or at least I used to. I haven't
>had them for decades.

Prune are great. I haven't had them for ages, either.

>I didn't get any paczki this year. Totally forgot to go to the bakery.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Paczki are much harder to get around here than back home in Detroit or
environs. There is only one place within half an hour of me that
would carry them, and they are primarily a Polish deli - a great one,
mind you, with wonderful meat+2 carry out meals - but they bring in
all their baked goods from elsewhere.

There is, however, a large Polish neighborhood in the other direction
from the above deli and had I the foresight to go there, I'd have
found the paczki in several decent bakeries.

When I want the kinds of dinners I used to be able to get when invited
to school chums' to eat, I go to this place:

http://royalwarsaw.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 13:05:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, March 7, 2019 at 3:52:33 PM UTC-5, Boron Elgar wrote:
>>> On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 12:28:23 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Cherry is good, too.

>>I like prune pierogi for dessert, or at least I used to. I haven't
>>had them for decades.

> Prune are great. I haven't had them for ages, either.
>>
>>I didn't get any paczki this year. Totally forgot to go to the bakery.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

> Paczki are much harder to get around here than back home in Detroit or
> environs. There is only one place within half an hour of me that
> would carry them, and they are primarily a Polish deli - a great one,
> mind you, with wonderful meat+2 carry out meals - but they bring in
> all their baked goods from elsewhere.
>
> There is, however, a large Polish neighborhood in the other direction
> from the above deli and had I the foresight to go there, I'd have
> found the paczki in several decent bakeries.
>
> When I want the kinds of dinners I used to be able to get when invited
> to school chums' to eat, I go to this place:
>
> http://royalwarsaw.com/

Looks yummy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have used medium shell macaroni to make spaghetti, they get pretty big cooked.

Stuffed shells Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 117 25-10-2017 01:56 AM
Stuffed shells. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 69 09-03-2012 05:08 PM
stuffed shells? [email protected] General Cooking 157 10-04-2011 05:18 PM
stuffed shells sf General Cooking 9 14-05-2006 02:35 PM
Stuffed shells? sarah bennett General Cooking 16 15-10-2005 07:01 PM