sarah bennett

Default Stuffed shells?

Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garlic +s&p for filling,
piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
but any input is definitely appreciated!

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
> lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garlic +s&p for filling,
> piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
> but any input is definitely appreciated!

For something different, try a flaked salmon with dill cream sauce.

Jill

~patches~

sarah bennett wrote:

> Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
> lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garlic +s&p for filling,
> piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
> but any input is definitely appreciated!

Ok this is not so much a recipe but I mix ricotta, mozz, spinach, & gr.
beef or pork then stuff that into the noodles. These are placed on a
light bed of roasted tomato sauce then topped with more sauce and a
layer of mozz. and baked. This won't work if you aren't into meat but
we like them.
sarah bennett

jmcquown wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
>>lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garl ic+s&p for filling,
>>piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
>>but any input is definitely appreciated!

> For something different, try a flaked salmon with dill cream sauce.
>
> Jill

well, salmon isn't in the budget, and my hubby doesnt like fish anyhow.
My main concern is how many pounds of shells to 2 pounds of ricotta and
a 10 oz. package of frozen spinach.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
kilikini

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
> Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
> lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garlic +s&p for filling,
> piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
> but any input is definitely appreciated!
>
> --

When I used to make them, I'd do something similar as what you're doing,
sans mint, but I add nutmeg, mushrooms, olives and onion. To the sauce I
always add extra mushrooms and olives. Oh! You could always add some
chopped chicken, if you have that! In any case, a dash of nutmeg is really
the key, I think. It gives it a rich, full flavor. I use it in my lasagna,
cannelloni, ravioli and my mannicotti.

But still, I think anything can be put in shells, don't you? Why not?
Lamb, beef, shrimp, clams, fish..... (not that you have any of those
ingredients, but I'm on a tangent. :~D )

kili

jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> sarah bennett wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
>>> lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garlic +s&p for filling,
>>> piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on
>>> top) but any input is definitely appreciated!

>> For something different, try a flaked salmon with dill cream sauce.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> well, salmon isn't in the budget, and my hubby doesnt like fish
> anyhow. My main concern is how many pounds of shells to 2 pounds of
> ricotta and a 10 oz. package of frozen spinach.

Sorry. I was talking tinned salmon. It's pretty inexpensive here. But if
your husband doesn't like fish that is a moot point. You have, however,
given me an idea for dinner for next weekend

Jill

sarah bennett

kilikini wrote:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
>
>>Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
>>lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garl ic+s&p for filling,
>>piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
>>but any input is definitely appreciated!
>>
>>--
>>

> When I used to make them, I'd do something similar as what you're doing,
> sans mint, but I add nutmeg, mushrooms, olives and onion. To the sauce I
> always add extra mushrooms and olives. Oh! You could always add some
> chopped chicken, if you have that! In any case, a dash of nutmeg is really
> the key, I think. It gives it a rich, full flavor. I use it in my lasagna,
> cannelloni, ravioli and my mannicotti.
>
> But still, I think anything can be put in shells, don't you? Why not?
> Lamb, beef, shrimp, clams, fish..... (not that you have any of those
> ingredients, but I'm on a tangent. :~D )
>
> kili

im not so much worried about flavor components as I am with not having
leftover filling or shells.

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
sarah bennett

jmcquown wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

>>>For something different, try a flaked salmon with dill cream sauce.
>>>
>>>Jill
>>>

>>well, salmon isn't in the budget, and my hubby doesnt like fish
>>anyhow. My main concern is how many pounds of shells to 2 pounds of
>>ricotta and a 10 oz. package of frozen spinach.

> Sorry. I was talking tinned salmon. It's pretty inexpensive here. But if
> your husband doesn't like fish that is a moot point. You have, however,
> given me an idea for dinner for next weekend
>
> Jill

I have a can of salmon in the pantry that is awaiting formation into
crouquettes. at least I think it is salmon. there is no label, but the
shape of the can means its either salmon or mackerel. It has been
sitting there since I was working as a grocery clerk, and we were
allowed to take home damaged product, if we so wished. My three year old
liked the tuna patties I made a while back, so I think she'll go for the
salmon variety (especially if i serve 'em with ketchup :> )

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
kilikini

"sarah bennett" > wrote in message
.. .
> kilikini wrote:
> > "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
> >>lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garl ic+s&p for filling,
> >>piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
> >>but any input is definitely appreciated!
> >>
> >>--
> >>

> > When I used to make them, I'd do something similar as what you're doing,
> > sans mint, but I add nutmeg, mushrooms, olives and onion. To the sauce

> > always add extra mushrooms and olives. Oh! You could always add some
> > chopped chicken, if you have that! In any case, a dash of nutmeg is

really
> > the key, I think. It gives it a rich, full flavor. I use it in my

lasagna,
> > cannelloni, ravioli and my mannicotti.
> >
> > But still, I think anything can be put in shells, don't you? Why not?
> > Lamb, beef, shrimp, clams, fish..... (not that you have any of those
> > ingredients, but I'm on a tangent. :~D )
> >
> > kili
> >

> im not so much worried about flavor components as I am with not having
> leftover filling or shells.

Ah, gotcha. I always make more than what a recipe calls for so my husband
has lunches for work. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it turns out great.
:~)

kili

sarah bennett

kilikini wrote:
> "sarah bennett" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>kilikini wrote:

>>>When I used to make them, I'd do something similar as what you're doing,
>>>sans mint, but I add nutmeg, mushrooms, olives and onion. To the sauce

>>>always add extra mushrooms and olives. Oh! You could always add some
>>>chopped chicken, if you have that! In any case, a dash of nutmeg is

> really
>
>>>the key, I think. It gives it a rich, full flavor. I use it in my

> lasagna,
>
>>>cannelloni, ravioli and my mannicotti.
>>>
>>>But still, I think anything can be put in shells, don't you? Why not?
>>>Lamb, beef, shrimp, clams, fish..... (not that you have any of those
>>>ingredients, but I'm on a tangent. :~D )
>>>
>>>kili
>>>

>>im not so much worried about flavor components as I am with not having
>>leftover filling or shells.
>>

> Ah, gotcha. I always make more than what a recipe calls for so my husband
> has lunches for work. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it turns out great.
> :~)
>
> kili

i think im gonna get some olives to add to the filling though now ive
got a craving....

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß

jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> sarah bennett wrote:

>>> well, salmon isn't in the budget, and my hubby doesnt like fish
>>> anyhow. My main concern is how many pounds of shells to 2 pounds of
>>> ricotta and a 10 oz. package of frozen spinach.

>> Sorry. I was talking tinned salmon. It's pretty inexpensive here.
>> But if your husband doesn't like fish that is a moot point. You
>> have, however, given me an idea for dinner for next weekend
>>
>> Jill
>>

> I have a can of salmon in the pantry that is awaiting formation into
> crouquettes. at least I think it is salmon. there is no label, but the
> shape of the can means its either salmon or mackerel. It has been
> sitting there since I was working as a grocery clerk, and we were
> allowed to take home damaged product, if we so wished. My three year
> old liked the tuna patties I made a while back, so I think she'll go
> for the salmon variety (especially if i serve 'em with ketchup :> )

Mackerel or Salmon, either one, makes a nice "croquette". I love Bolivar's
recipe for this. Of course he gets all fancy and bakes them in cast iron
molds shaped like fish

15-1/2 ounces canned pink salmon -- Drain, reserve juice
Milk
1/4 cup butter
2 Tablespoons Onion -- finely chopped
1/3 cup All purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
1 Cup Bread crumbs, or crushed Corn Flakes

1. Drain salmon, reserving liquid; add enough milk to salmon liquid to
measure 1 cup; set aside.
2. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add onion and cook until
tender.
3. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Gradually add milk mixture; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
5. Remove skin and bones from salmon; flake salmon with a fork. Add lemon
juice, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and white sauce, stirring well.
6. Refrigerate mixture until chilled; shape into croquettes. Roll the
croquettes in remaining bread crumbs.
7. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; bake at 400 degrees for 30
minutes.

My notes: I don't bother to remove the skin. Top with remaining white
sauce. I added dill weed. Was delicious!

Jill

sarah bennett

jmcquown wrote:
> sarah bennett wrote:
>
>>jmcquown wrote:

>>>Sorry. I was talking tinned salmon. It's pretty inexpensive here.
>>>But if your husband doesn't like fish that is a moot point. You
>>>have, however, given me an idea for dinner for next weekend
>>>
>>>Jill
>>>

>>I have a can of salmon in the pantry that is awaiting formation into
>>crouquettes. at least I think it is salmon. there is no label, but the
>>shape of the can means its either salmon or mackerel. It has been
>>sitting there since I was working as a grocery clerk, and we were
>>allowed to take home damaged product, if we so wished. My three year
>>old liked the tuna patties I made a while back, so I think she'll go
>>for the salmon variety (especially if i serve 'em with ketchup :> )

> Mackerel or Salmon, either one, makes a nice "croquette". I love Bolivar's
> recipe for this. Of course he gets all fancy and bakes them in cast iron
> molds shaped like fish
>
> 15-1/2 ounces canned pink salmon -- Drain, reserve juice
> Milk
> 1/4 cup butter
> 2 Tablespoons Onion -- finely chopped
> 1/3 cup All purpose flour
> 1/2 teaspoon Salt
> 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
> 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
> 1 Cup Bread crumbs, or crushed Corn Flakes
>
> 1. Drain salmon, reserving liquid; add enough milk to salmon liquid to
> measure 1 cup; set aside.
> 2. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add onion and cook until
> tender.
> 3. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
> 4. Gradually add milk mixture; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly,
> until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper; set aside.
> 5. Remove skin and bones from salmon; flake salmon with a fork. Add lemon
> juice, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and white sauce, stirring well.
> 6. Refrigerate mixture until chilled; shape into croquettes. Roll the
> croquettes in remaining bread crumbs.
> 7. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; bake at 400 degrees for 30
> minutes.
>
> My notes: I don't bother to remove the skin. Top with remaining white
> sauce. I added dill weed. Was delicious!
>
> Jill

my mom used to make this canned salmon-mashed potato-cheddar casserole
thing, and when she drained the salmon, got rid of the skin. I used to
eat it. yum! on a similar tangent, I know you can eat the bones in
canned salmon, but do they have any signifigant nutritional value?

--

saerah

"It's not a gimmick, it's an incentive."- asterbark, afca

aware of the manifold possibilities of the future

"I think there's a clause in the Shaman's and Jujumen's Local #57 Union
contract that they have to have reciprocity for each other's shop rules."
-König Prüß
jmcquown

sarah bennett wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> sarah bennett wrote:

> my mom used to make this canned salmon-mashed potato-cheddar casserole
> thing, and when she drained the salmon, got rid of the skin. I used to
> eat it. yum! on a similar tangent, I know you can eat the bones in
> canned salmon, but do they have any signifigant nutritional value?

Calcium. Significant? Probably not. Hurtful? Not at all

Jill

sf

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:09:33 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> Anyone got a killer recipe? Twas gonna make 'em kinda like I do
> lasagna,(ricotta+mozz+parm+spinach+mint+egg+garlic +s&p for filling,
> piped into cooked noodles, baked with marinara sauce and mozz on top)
> but any input is definitely appreciated!

Leave out the mint and vary the cheeses.
sf

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:56:19 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

> i think im gonna get some olives to add to the filling though now ive
> got a craving....

Hmmm. First you asked for a recipe, then I read that you were
concerned mainly about how many shells to use. Did you ever make it?
I haven't done stuffed shells in years and used the jumbo shells that
I don't think they sell (commonly) anymore. Those recipes usually
cover a 9x13 pan, so it makes at least 6 servings and more if you
don't pig out.

sf
who prefers the ricotta and spinach filling

Andy

sf wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:56:19 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:
>>
>> i think im gonna get some olives to add to the filling though now
>> ive got a craving....

> Hmmm. First you asked for a recipe, then I read that you were
> concerned mainly about how many shells to use. Did you ever make it?
> I haven't done stuffed shells in years and used the jumbo shells that
> I don't think they sell (commonly) anymore. Those recipes usually
> cover a 9x13 pan, so it makes at least 6 servings and more if you
> don't pig out.
>
> sf
> who prefers the ricotta and spinach filling

First time I tried to make jumbo stuffed shells I didn't pipe enough
filling into them and they caved in and looked anemic when I took them
out of the oven. Now I know to fill them to overflowing.

I make a no-salt version of this recipe:

http://pasta.allrecipes.com/AZ/StffdShllsIII.asp

Andy
sarah bennett

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 15:56:19 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:
>

>> i think im gonna get some olives to add to the filling though now ive
>> got a craving....

> Hmmm. First you asked for a recipe, then I read that you were
> concerned mainly about how many shells to use. Did you ever make it?
> I haven't done stuffed shells in years and used the jumbo shells that
> I don't think they sell (commonly) anymore. Those recipes usually
> cover a 9x13 pan, so it makes at least 6 servings and more if you
> don't pig out.
>
> sf
> who prefers the ricotta and spinach filling

I forgot to buy the ricotta cheese when I went grocery shopping. There
is a recipe on the back of the box, (funny enough, the store brand
shells were the same price as barilla) but I'm not sure I trust it If
I have extra filling I'm just gonna put it in the pan somewhere.