Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stuffed shells?

I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
few shells for a quick and easy meal.

I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
ravioli.

Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
eat eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 9:38*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. *I haven't seen dry
> giant shells in years. *Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
>
> Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> eat eggs. *

I can eat eggs, though I never thought of them in in this. I actually
have a few left from the last bag I bought. But they aren't even on
Safeway's website anymore. They have other frozen pasta products, but
not ones I like.

They were really great for a quick and easy meal when I don't feel
like cooking. They were also really great for cooking in the hotel
while traveling. I just needed a bag of the stuffed shells and a
container of spaghetti sauce. Travels in a cooler well, and heats
fast.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>
> I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> ravioli.
>
> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

I'm sure you could find them online. I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 9:49*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> > (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> > frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> > been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> > spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> > few shells for a quick and easy meal.

> > I have not been able *to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> > cooked (like *Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> > ravioli.

> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> I'm sure you could find them online. *I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
> pasta.

If I have to, I will go that route, but I would rather find them in a
store so that I can buy them when I want them and not have to wait a
couple weeks or pay for shipping. I do travel a bit for cat shows, so
I may be able to go to stores that aren't in my own area,. I will be
in Oregon in 2 weeks, and Boise, Idaho a week later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
>> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
>> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
> giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
>
> Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> eat eggs.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

There was/is a shell size larger than jumbo? I've only ever used jumbo for
my stuffed shells. They're plenty large when cooked -- the same size as
I've ever seen in pictures of stuffed shells.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:48:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 9:38*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> > It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. *I haven't seen dry
> > giant shells in years. *Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
> >
> > Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> > eat eggs. *
> >

> I can eat eggs, though I never thought of them in in this. I actually
> have a few left from the last bag I bought. But they aren't even on
> Safeway's website anymore. They have other frozen pasta products, but
> not ones I like.
>
> They were really great for a quick and easy meal when I don't feel
> like cooking. They were also really great for cooking in the hotel
> while traveling. I just needed a bag of the stuffed shells and a
> container of spaghetti sauce. Travels in a cooler well, and heats
> fast.

I made stuffed shells many times when it was popular, so I can assure
you there is egg in it. I guess you found commercial pre-stuffed
shells that met your requirements in the past, but my memory is that
they come with both spinach and tomato sauce in the package. You work
in a grocery store, so I'll assume you've used your contacts there.

Try this search term to Google "where do I buy stuffed shell pasta in
<name of city here>? -recipe" without the quotation marks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 9:38 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
> giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
>
> Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> eat eggs.

I can eat eggs, though I never thought of them in in this. I actually
have a few left from the last bag I bought. But they aren't even on
Safeway's website anymore. They have other frozen pasta products, but
not ones I like.

They were really great for a quick and easy meal when I don't feel
like cooking. They were also really great for cooking in the hotel
while traveling. I just needed a bag of the stuffed shells and a
container of spaghetti sauce. Travels in a cooler well, and heats
fast.
---

Does the filling hold up with no egg in it? Or do you use an egg replacer?
I can't have eggs either. But I can have dairy now. At least sometimes.

I stuff my shells with mashed potatoes and onion then smother them with more
sautéed onion and margarine. I call these faux pierogies.

I used to love the cheese stuffed shells and I've been buying some frozen
ones for my daughter, but they do have egg in them. So I can't eat them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Feb 28, 9:49 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> > (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> > frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> > been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> > spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> > few shells for a quick and easy meal.

> > I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> > cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> > ravioli.

> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> I'm sure you could find them online. I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
> pasta.

If I have to, I will go that route, but I would rather find them in a
store so that I can buy them when I want them and not have to wait a
couple weeks or pay for shipping. I do travel a bit for cat shows, so
I may be able to go to stores that aren't in my own area,. I will be
in Oregon in 2 weeks, and Boise, Idaho a week later.

---
You'd probably have better luck finding them in an Italian grocery. I could
be wrong but I don't think those areas are heavily populated by Italians.
The selection of pasta in NY and PA (at least when I lived there) seemed to
be far greater than here in WA.

I wish I could go to cat shows. I went to one once as a child and loved it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"HumBug!" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:38:02 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:
>>
>>> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
>>> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
>>> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

>>It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
>>giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
>>
>>Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
>>eat eggs.

> http://www.schwans.com/products/prod...=11452&c2=9434
>
> Very large shells stuffed with 3 cheese blend.

But they likely have egg in them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>Why not just use manicotti? Those are easier to find, make a better
>presentation, IMO, and easier to handle.

Shells are more primal. They hark back to days when only primitive
sea creatures inhabited the earth.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 10:07*pm, HumBug! > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:38:02 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:

> >> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> >> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> >> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> >It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. *I haven't seen dry
> >giant shells in years. *Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

> >Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> >eat eggs. *

> http://www.schwans.com/products/prod...6153&c1=11452&....
>
> Very large shells stuffed with 3 cheese blend.

They look perfect. I have never ordered from Schwans before, but they
deliver in my area. I have requested a catalog.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 10:20*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:48:22 -0800 (PST), "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Feb 28, 9:38 pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "

> > > It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
> > > giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.

> > > Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> > > eat eggs.

> > I can eat eggs, though I never thought of them in in this. I actually
> > have a few left from the last bag I bought. But they aren't even on
> > Safeway's website anymore. They have other frozen pasta products, but
> > not ones I like.

> > They were really great for a quick and easy meal when I don't feel
> > like cooking. They were also really great for cooking in the hotel
> > while traveling. I just needed a bag of the stuffed shells and a
> > container of spaghetti sauce. Travels in a cooler well, and heats
> > fast.

> I made stuffed shells many times when it was popular, so I can assure
> you there is egg in it. *I guess you found commercial pre-stuffed
> shells that met your requirements in the past, but my memory is that
> they come with both spinach and tomato sauce in the package. *You work
> in a grocery store, so I'll assume you've used your contacts there.
>
> Try this search term to Google "where do I buy stuffed shell pasta in
> <name of city here>? -recipe" without the quotation marks.

No luck on the search. And yes, I actually work at Safeway. At first,
it was just other stores in other areas. I took my sauce with me and
planned to buy a bag while out of town, only to not find them there. I
just assumed they weren't in all stores. But then I couldn't find them
at my store either, and they confirmed that they were discontinued.
What a bummer. It was $3 for a bag of 8 of them. Easy and affordable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 10:50*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST),
> wrote:
>
> > I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> > (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> > frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> > been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> > spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> > few shells for a quick and easy meal.

> > I have not been able *to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> > cooked (like *Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> > ravioli.

> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> I can get both the filled frozen ones (in my freezer right now) and
> the jumbo shells. *Not many stores carry them due to the breakage
> factor. *They will almost always be on the top shelf where people and
> kids won't be tempted to fondle them (and shake the box just to see
> how much force it takes to break them, "Andy-style").
>
> Why not just use manicotti? *Those are easier to find, make a better
> presentation, IMO, and easier to handle.

I haven't actually seen them. I confess I do not shop at many stores
since I work in a grocery store and find most of what I want there.
What store do yo get yours at?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:15*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I used to love the cheese stuffed shells and I've been buying some frozen
> ones for my daughter, but they do have egg in them. *So I can't eat them.

I can eat eggs. Which kind have you been buying and where? I know you
live near me, so I will have the same grocery stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:17*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 28, 9:49 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > >I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> > > (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> > > frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> > > been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> > > spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> > > few shells for a quick and easy meal.

> > > I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> > > cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> > > ravioli.

> > > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> > I'm sure you could find them online. I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
> > pasta.

> If I have to, I will go that route, but I would rather find them in a
> store so that I can buy them when I want them and not have to wait a
> couple weeks or pay for shipping. I do travel a bit for cat shows, so
> I may be able to go *to stores that aren't in my own area,. I will be
> in Oregon in 2 weeks, and Boise, Idaho a week later.
>
> ---
> You'd probably have better luck finding them in an Italian grocery. *I could
> be wrong but I don't think those areas are heavily populated by Italians.
> The selection of pasta in NY and PA (at least when I lived there) seemed to
> be far greater than here in WA.
>
> I wish I could go to cat shows. *I went to one once as a child and loved it!

Are you allergic to cats? If you aren't and would like to attend as a
spectator, there will be a show in April in Monroe. Possibly one in
Everett as well. Not sure yet on the location of that one. And another
one in Issaquah in May. Most of the shows are in Chehalis, Longview,
and Portland.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 12:40*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:21:31 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >>Why not just use manicotti? *Those are easier to find, make a better
> >>presentation, IMO, and easier to handle.

> > Shells are more primal. *They hark back to days when only primitive
> > sea creatures inhabited the earth.

> Yeah - the shells resemble those of sea slugs and poisonous conus.
> Why not associate them with food, eh?

LOL. I never thought of that. I just want something big enough that I
can shove the cheese inside. Ravioli and tortellini and have too much
noodle and not enough cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Feb 28, 11:15 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I used to love the cheese stuffed shells and I've been buying some frozen
> ones for my daughter, but they do have egg in them. So I can't eat them.

I can eat eggs. Which kind have you been buying and where? I know you
live near me, so I will have the same grocery stores.

Sorry. I misunderstood. These are gluten free ones. I am not sure where I
got them. It was probably either Smart Eats in Mill Creek Town Center or
Tru Health in Bothell.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Feb 28, 11:17 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Feb 28, 9:49 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> > >I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> > > (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> > > frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> > > been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> > > spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> > > few shells for a quick and easy meal.

> > > I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> > > cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> > > ravioli.

> > > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> > I'm sure you could find them online. I buy Tinkyada, but they are a rice
> > pasta.

> If I have to, I will go that route, but I would rather find them in a
> store so that I can buy them when I want them and not have to wait a
> couple weeks or pay for shipping. I do travel a bit for cat shows, so
> I may be able to go to stores that aren't in my own area,. I will be
> in Oregon in 2 weeks, and Boise, Idaho a week later.
>
> ---
> You'd probably have better luck finding them in an Italian grocery. I
> could
> be wrong but I don't think those areas are heavily populated by Italians.
> The selection of pasta in NY and PA (at least when I lived there) seemed
> be far greater than here in WA.
>
> I wish I could go to cat shows. I went to one once as a child and loved
> it!

Are you allergic to cats? If you aren't and would like to attend as a
spectator, there will be a show in April in Monroe. Possibly one in
Everett as well. Not sure yet on the location of that one. And another
one in Issaquah in May. Most of the shows are in Chehalis, Longview,
and Portland.

---
I am allergic, but they usually don't bother me. My cat doesn't bother me
at all. Might be able to do one in Everett, but April will be a rather busy
month for us. Daughter has one dance convention to go to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Mar 1, 12:40 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 08:21:31 +0000 (UTC), Steve Pope wrote:
> > Sqwertz > wrote:

> >>Why not just use manicotti? Those are easier to find, make a better
> >>presentation, IMO, and easier to handle.

> > Shells are more primal. They hark back to days when only primitive
> > sea creatures inhabited the earth.

> Yeah - the shells resemble those of sea slugs and poisonous conus.
> Why not associate them with food, eh?

LOL. I never thought of that. I just want something big enough that I
can shove the cheese inside. Ravioli and tortellini and have too much
noodle and not enough cheese.

---

When I lived in CA, I bought some fresh Ravioli that had super thin pasta.
You could pretty much see through it. It was very good but I don't remember
the brand and I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Maybe that's what I dislike about Tortellini. I like the idea of them, but
then when I eat them, I don't like them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 11:03*pm, "
> wrote:
> I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>
> I have not been able *to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> cooked (like *Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> ravioli.
>
> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

i don't understand. All of my local supermarkets sell large empty
shell-shaped dried pasta which one would boil until just beginning to
get tender then stuff with a mixture of whatever you like and baked.
Surely Safeway carries Ronzoni dried pasta? Or San Giorgio? Or
Creamettes? Or a store brand? Or Barilla?

http://pasta-products-ronzoni.newwor...fm?navCatId=24
http://pasta-products-sangiorgio.new...fm?navCatId=28
http://www.barillaus.com/Products/11/jumbo-shells.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
>(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
>frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
>been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
>spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
>few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>
>I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
>cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
>ravioli.
>
>Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
>dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
>light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

I can buy jumbo shells at my local stupidmarket but you can buy them
on line too... Amazon also sells single boxes but this is a much
better deal:
http://www.amazon.com/Barilla-Jumbo-...8986152&sr=8-4
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Feb 28, 8:03*pm, "
> wrote:
> I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>
> I have not been able *to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> cooked (like *Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> ravioli.
>
> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

Have you tried Cash & Carry/Smart & Final, or another restaurant
supply? They carry pretty much
any kind of dry pasta you can imagine and I'm pretty sure they have
the shells you want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Catmandy (Sheryl)" > wrote in message
On Feb 28, 11:03 pm, "
> wrote:
> I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>
> I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> ravioli.
>
> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

i don't understand. All of my local supermarkets sell large empty
shell-shaped dried pasta which one would boil until just beginning to
get tender then stuff with a mixture of whatever you like and baked.
Surely Safeway carries Ronzoni dried pasta? Or San Giorgio? Or
Creamettes? Or a store brand? Or Barilla?

http://pasta-products-ronzoni.newwor...fm?navCatId=24
http://pasta-products-sangiorgio.new...fm?navCatId=28
http://www.barillaus.com/Products/11/jumbo-shells.aspx

---

I am checking my local Safeway now. They have Barilla Jumbo shells. They do
sell the Barilla brand but I don't see any shells listed. Not for delivery
anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
> giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
>
> Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> eat eggs.

Someone asked me about stuffed shells recently, and searching on the
Sam's web site I did find several hits for frozen stuffed shells (just
cheese stuffed), though they seemed to be somewhat regional. At any
rate, that indicates the product is still produced and you should be
able to find it somewhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
> (usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
> frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
> been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
> spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
> few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>
> I have not been able to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
> cooked (like Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
> ravioli.
>
> Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

I saw them at my market just the other day. They're hardly rare. I used to
make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. Love them! I always just
seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. Some grated mozzarella
is good, too.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 01:10:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> No luck on the search.

Sorry to hear that!

> And yes, I actually work at Safeway. At first,
> it was just other stores in other areas. I took my sauce with me and
> planned to buy a bag while out of town, only to not find them there. I
> just assumed they weren't in all stores. But then I couldn't find them
> at my store either, and they confirmed that they were discontinued.
> What a bummer. It was $3 for a bag of 8 of them. Easy and affordable.

Good Luck! Funny thing is that I've been on a "giant shell" hunt too.
I wasn't as focused as you were and I was looking for the uncooked
shells to do it myself, because I rarely like anything that comes
pre-made in the freezer section.

The biggest bummer is that it seems like no one is selling the giant
(uncooked) shells in the US anymore - I know I saw them in Italy last
year. Looks like you have to do it yourself and use jumbo. I know
Barilla still sells that size, they're listed on the Barilla web site.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> On Feb 28, 8:03�pm, "
> > wrote:
>
>>I would like to make the type of shells that are stuffed with cheese
>>(usually ricotta with some Romano or Parmesan). I was buying some
>>frozen shells at Safeway that I really liked, but apparently they have
>>been discontinued. I really liked them as I could make up a batch of
>>spaghetti sauce and freeze in portions. Then pull out some sauce and a
>>few shells for a quick and easy meal.
>>
>>I have not been able �to find any large shells to buy, either dry or
>>cooked (like �Boutoni or something). And I don't like stuffed
>>ravioli.
>>
>>Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
>>dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
>>light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> Have you tried Cash & Carry/Smart & Final, or another restaurant
> supply? They carry pretty much
> any kind of dry pasta you can imagine and I'm pretty sure they have
> the shells you want.

Our local S & F only has the small shells, i have to go to a local
italian deli to get the large shells.
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:11:57 GMT, "l, not -l" > wrote:

> Guess it's a regional thing; here (St. Louis suburb), all of the
> supermarkets I shop (5 within two-miles of home) carries large and jumbo
> shells. Usually one of two brands, Barilla or R&F.

OIC! Barilla calls them Jumbo and R&F calls them Giant. I'm looking
for the shells that were even bigger when dry. I called them Giant,
but now I don't know what they were called.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:24:52 -0800, "M. JL Esq." >
wrote:

> There are also the very wide lasagne noodles that can be filled and
> rolled up as well as cannelloni.

I think you're right about finding a different vehicle for the cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I saw them at my market just the other day. They're hardly rare. I used to
> make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. Love them! I always just
> seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. Some grated mozzarella
> is good, too.

She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. If she says it's not
easy to find in her area, then it's not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I saw them at my market just the other day. They're hardly rare. I used
>> make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. Love them! I always just
>> seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. Some grated
>> mozzarella
>> is good, too.

> She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. If she says it's not
> easy to find in her area, then it's not.

And if my pathetic stores have them, they are not rare.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 3:05*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
> > I saw them at my market just the other day. *They're hardly rare. *I used to
> > make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. *Love them! *I always just
> > seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. *Some grated mozzarella
> > is good, too.

> She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. *If she says it's not
> easy to find in her area, then it's not.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I am sorry. I find it extremely difficult to believe that SAFEWAY, the
largest supermarket chain in the US, doesn't carry one brand or
another of jumbo pasta shells. She's not looking hard enough.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> I saw them at my market just the other day. They're hardly rare. I used
>> make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. Love them! I always just
>> seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. Some grated
>> mozzarella
>> is good, too.

> She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. If she says it's not
> easy to find in her area, then it's not.

She says she is near me. I looked on her company website for delivery to my
house. There is one brand. Could be for whatever reason, her particular
store doesn't stock them. And I don't know that it is a world wide grocery
store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I saw them at my market just the other day. They're hardly rare. I
>>> used to
>>> make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. Love them! I always
>>> just
>>> seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. Some grated
>>> mozzarella
>>> is good, too.

>> She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. If she says it's not
>> easy to find in her area, then it's not.

> She says she is near me. I looked on her company website for delivery to
> my house. There is one brand. Could be for whatever reason, her
> particular store doesn't stock them. And I don't know that it is a world
> wide grocery store.

I looked at Albertsons. The one in Mill Creek has Jumbo Shells by American
Beauty. Central Market in Mill Creek has a lot of Italian foods. They
would be likely to have them as well, although I haven't checked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 5:13*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >> I saw them at my market just the other day. *They're hardly rare. *I used
> >> make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. *Love them! *I always just
> >> seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. *Some grated
> >> mozzarella
> >> is good, too.

> > She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. *If she says it's not
> > easy to find in her area, then it's not.

> She says she is near me. *I looked on her company website for delivery to my
> house. *There is one brand. *Could be for whatever reason, her particular
> store doesn't stock them. *And I don't know that it is a world wide grocery
> store.

Safeway isn't worldwide, but it is the biggest supermarket
distribution system in North America. (They are in Western Canada, as
well).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 3:22*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:15:06 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >> I saw them at my market just the other day. *They're hardly rare. *I used
> >> make stuffed shells all the time pre-diabetes. *Love them! *I always just
> >> seasoned with a touch of salt and chopped parsley. *Some grated
> >> mozzarella
> >> is good, too.

> > She works for a world wide grocery chain, Paul. *If she says it's not
> > easy to find in her area, then it's not.

> And if my pathetic stores have them, they are not rare.
>
> Paul

Vons is Safeway's market in the SoCal market.....

Stuffed shells with meat? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 38 04-05-2014 12:28 PM
Stuffed shells. Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 69 09-03-2012 05:08 PM
Stuffed Shells, a success! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 7 16-02-2012 05:52 AM
stuffed shells sf General Cooking 9 14-05-2006 02:35 PM
Stuffed shells? sarah bennett General Cooking 16 15-10-2005 07:01 PM