Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Stuffed shells for dinner.

On 3/7/2019 12:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I realized in looking at a recipe that I've been making stuffed shells
> wrong! I always left the open part at the top. I looked at Ree
> Drummond's recipe just to get the bake time. But I noticed that she said
> to cook the shells until halfway done, then stuff and put the open side
> down! Perfect!

I never had a problem with them facing UP. Don't know what's going on
with you or Ree Drummond.

> Other than that, just winged it. Used a huge jar of Prego sauce that I
> got for cheap. I don't normally buy that stuff but the price was
> excellent and one jar was enough for two pans.

Sure you do (buy it). Not to worry, lots of people do.

> The filling was a large
> container of ricotta mixed with chopped spinach that I had cooked down
> in a little olive oil, dried parsley, oregano, black pepper and whatever
> Italian cheese I had. A mix of Parmesan, Romano, Asia go and Mozzarella.
> Ree said to under fill the shells. I didn't. I overstuffed them. Did not
> quite use all of the pasta. A few pieces were broken too much. I know I
> could have tossed them in here and there or saved them for soup, but I
> didn't.
>
> Put a good amount of sauce down, then the filled shells, then covered in
> more sauce, a goodly amount of more shredded cheese. Baked at 350
> degrees for about 30 min, Yum! And enough for leftovers.
>
> Also made a salad with all kinds of veggies, black olives, pecans and Feta.

I like the cheeses and spinach in the shells with the tomato sauce. I
don't do it very often but stuffed shells are quite nice. They freeze
well, too.

I also make stuffed shells with a filling of flaked salmon, egg, ricotta
and spinach in a basil and garlic cream sauce. Not that you'd make it,
just staying, it's another thing to do with those large pasta shells.

Jill

Jill