Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Stuffed shells.

Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I want
to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I have
ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we knew
of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do that
for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.

I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg. It's
just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach part.
All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices squeezed
out.

I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used frozen, but
I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in lasagna
because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed? I do
put other veggies in my lasagna and I do sauté them first.

So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely and
add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I
> want to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't
> think I have ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way
> back before we knew of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones.
> And I can still do that for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I
> can't eat them.
>
> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
> It's just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the
> spinach part. All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed
> and juices squeezed out.
>
> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used
> frozen, but I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping
> it finely and adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work
> differently in lasagna because you let it sit after baking and the
> juices would be absorbed? I do put other veggies in my lasagna and I
> do sauté them first.
>
> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach
> finely and add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it
> first?
>
> Thanks.

It cooks so quickly I would not cook it first in lasagne but am not sure
about what you mean by shells. If I cooked it at all I would do it for
about a minute or so only (wet the spinach and cook in a saucepan with a
lid. On a side note, I always use fresh spinach in meals that call for
it because the frozen stuff really doesn't do anything for me and on the
few times I have used it, it made made the dish watery.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I
>> want to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I
>> have ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before
>> we knew of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still
>> do that for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
>>
>> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg. It's
>> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
>> part. All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
>> squeezed out.
>>
>> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used frozen,
>> but I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely
>> and adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
>> lasagna because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be
>> absorbed? I do put other veggies in my lasagna and I do sauté them
>> first.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely
>> and add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?
>>
>> Thanks.

> It cooks so quickly I would not cook it first in lasagne but am not sure
> about what you mean by shells. If I cooked it at all I would do it for
> about a minute or so only (wet the spinach and cook in a saucepan with a
> lid. On a side note, I always use fresh spinach in meals that call for it
> because the frozen stuff really doesn't do anything for me and on the few
> times I have used it, it made made the dish watery.

These are big pasta shells that you boil first then stuff with cheese, cover
with tomato sauce and bake.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And
>>> I want to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't
>>> think I have ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way
>>> back before we knew of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen
>>> ones. And I can still do that for Angela but due to the eggs in
>>> them, I can't eat them.
>>>
>>> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
>>> It's just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the
>>> spinach part. All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach,
>>> thawed and juices squeezed out.
>>>
>>> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used
>>> frozen, but I also think I have used fresh. I remember just
>>> chopping it finely and adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this
>>> would work differently in lasagna because you let it sit after
>>> baking and the juices would be absorbed? I do put other veggies in
>>> my lasagna and I do sauté them first.
>>>
>>> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach
>>> finely and add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it
>>> first?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> It cooks so quickly I would not cook it first in lasagne but am not
>> sure about what you mean by shells. If I cooked it at all I would do
>> it for about a minute or so only (wet the spinach and cook in a
>> saucepan with a lid. On a side note, I always use fresh spinach in
>> meals that call for it because the frozen stuff really doesn't do
>> anything for me and on the few times I have used it, it made made the
>> dish watery.

> These are big pasta shells that you boil first then stuff with cheese,
> cover with tomato sauce and bake.

Ah, you could probably put the spinach in raw then.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I want
> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I have
> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we knew
> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do that
> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
>
> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg. It's
> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach part.
> All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices squeezed
> out.
>
> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used frozen, but
> I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
> adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in lasagna
> because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed? I do
> put other veggies in my lasagna and I do sauté them first.
>
> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely and
> add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until they
wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the water
out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.

On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
difference.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

: put other veggies in my lasagna and I do saut? them first.

: So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely and
: add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

: Thanks.

You do have to reduce some of the liquid in the raw spinach or the result
will be watery. YOu shoul dcook the spinach down(It doesn't take long)
and then I woul dchop it and drain well, including squooshing it to remove
water.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> It cooks so quickly I would not cook it first in lasagne but am not sure
>>> about what you mean by shells. If I cooked it at all I would do it for
>>> about a minute or so only (wet the spinach and cook in a saucepan with a
>>> lid. On a side note, I always use fresh spinach in meals that call for
>>> it because the frozen stuff really doesn't do anything for me and on the
>>> few times I have used it, it made made the dish watery.

>> These are big pasta shells that you boil first then stuff with cheese,
>> cover with tomato sauce and bake.

> Ah, you could probably put the spinach in raw then.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I
>> want
>> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I have
>> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we
>> knew
>> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do
>> that
>> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
>>
>> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg. It's
>> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
>> part.
>> All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
>> squeezed
>> out.
>>
>> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used frozen,
>> but
>> I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
>> adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
>> lasagna
>> because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed? I
>> do
>> put other veggies in my lasagna and I do sauté them first.
>>
>> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely
>> and
>> add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

> Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until they
> wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the water
> out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
> when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.
>
> On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
> difference.

Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I
> want
> : to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I
> have
> : ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we
> knew
> : of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do
> that
> : for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
>
> : I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
> It's
> : just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
> part.
> : All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
> squeezed
> : out.
>
> : I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used frozen,
> but
> : I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely and
> : adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
> lasagna
> : because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed? I
> do
> : put other veggies in my lasagna and I do saut? them first.
>
> : So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach finely
> and
> : add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?
>
> : Thanks.
>

> You do have to reduce some of the liquid in the raw spinach or the result
> will be watery. YOu shoul dcook the spinach down(It doesn't take long)
> and then I woul dchop it and drain well, including squooshing it to remove
> water.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
: ...
: > In article >,
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >
: >> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And I
: >> want
: >> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I have
: >> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we
: >> knew
: >> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do
: >> that
: >> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
: >>
[...]

I make a vegetarian lasgna and have never used any egg. it is not a
sloppy mess.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > In article >,
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : >
> : >> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And
> : >> want
> : >> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I
> have
> : >> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before we
> : >> knew
> : >> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still do
> : >> that
> : >> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
> : >>
> : >> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
> It's
> : >> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
> : >> part.
> : >> All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
> : >> squeezed
> : >> out.
> : >>
> : >> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used
> frozen,
> : >> but
> : >> I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely
> and
> : >> adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
> : >> lasagna
> : >> because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be absorbed?
> : >> do
> : >> put other veggies in my lasagna and I do saut? them first.
> : >>
> : >> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach
> finely
> : >> and
> : >> add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?
> : >
> : > Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until they
> : > wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the
> water
> : > out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
> : > when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.
> : >
> : > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
> : > difference.
>
> : Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
> : difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.
>
> I make a vegetarian lasgna and have never used any egg. it is not a
> sloppy mess.

Hmmm... Mine sure was! And it was vegetarian.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> Angela wanted me to buy some fresh spinach for green smoothies. And
>>> I want
>>> to make some stuffed shells. With spinach in them. I don't think I
>>> have
>>> ever made the cheese stuffed shells from scratch. Way back before
>>> we knew
>>> of the food allergies, I used to buy frozen ones. And I can still
>>> do that
>>> for Angela but due to the eggs in them, I can't eat them.
>>>
>>> I have run across at least one recipe that doesn't require the egg.
>>> It's
>>> just a mix of ricotta and parmesan cheese in it. Ah but the spinach
>>> part.
>>> All of the recipes I see call for frozen spinach, thawed and juices
>>> squeezed
>>> out.
>>>
>>> I have made plenty of lasagna using spinach. I know I have used
>>> frozen, but
>>> I also think I have used fresh. I remember just chopping it finely
>>> and
>>> adding it to the cheese. But perhaps this would work differently in
>>> lasagna
>>> because you let it sit after baking and the juices would be
>>> absorbed? I do
>>> put other veggies in my lasagna and I do sauté them first.
>>>
>>> So my question is... Do you think I could just chop the spinach
>>> finely and
>>> add it to the cheese? Or should I cook it and cool it first?

>> Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until
>> they
>> wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the
>> water
>> out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
>> when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.
>>
>> On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
>> difference.

> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

Ricotta shouldn't go sloppy. Try to get a dry one from a deli, I find
the carton type more creamy in texture. I used to like the smoother one
when doing Weight Watcher's. Sometimes for breakfast I would mix a bit
of liquid sweetener through it and spread on toast, top with cinnamon
and put under the grill for a little bit, wonderful

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/4/2012 11:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Or should I cook it and cool it first?
>
> Thanks.

yup
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/5/2012 3:02 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> It cooks so quickly I would not cook it first in lasagne but am not
>>> sure about what you mean by shells. If I cooked it at all I would do
>>> it for about a minute or so only (wet the spinach and cook in a
>>> saucepan with a lid. On a side note, I always use fresh spinach in
>>> meals that call for it because the frozen stuff really doesn't do
>>> anything for me and on the few times I have used it, it made made the
>>> dish watery.

>> These are big pasta shells that you boil first then stuff with cheese,
>> cover with tomato sauce and bake.

> Ah, you could probably put the spinach in raw then.

too much shrinkage on the spinach

a massive pot of fresh usually cooks down to 4 servings for us

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>>> Cook the spinach first. Just wash the leaves and steam them until they
>>> wilt down. The volume change is dramatic. Then drain, squeeze the water
>>> out, and chop. If you don't do this, all the water the spinach loses
>>> when you cook it will make the stuffed shells soggy.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
>>> difference.

>> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
>> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

> Ricotta shouldn't go sloppy. Try to get a dry one from a deli, I find the
> carton type more creamy in texture. I used to like the smoother one when
> doing Weight Watcher's. Sometimes for breakfast I would mix a bit of
> liquid sweetener through it and spread on toast, top with cinnamon and put
> under the grill for a little bit, wonderful

No delis here that I know of sell it. And we don't actually have delis here
anyway. There are deli departments that sell sliced meat and cheese. The
only Ricotta we can get comes in tubs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

>>> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
>>> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

>> Ricotta shouldn't go sloppy. Try to get a dry one from a deli, I find
>> the carton type more creamy in texture. I used to like the smoother
>> one when doing Weight Watcher's. Sometimes for breakfast I would mix
>> a bit of liquid sweetener through it and spread on toast, top with
>> cinnamon and put under the grill for a little bit, wonderful

> No delis here that I know of sell it. And we don't actually have
> delis here anyway. There are deli departments that sell sliced meat
> and cheese. The only Ricotta we can get comes in tubs.

That's a pain, all supermarkets here sell ricotta, cottage and fetta etc
fresh in the deli dept where the olives, dried tomatoes etc are.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Ricotta shouldn't go sloppy. Try to get a dry one from a deli, I find
>>> the carton type more creamy in texture. I used to like the smoother one
>>> when doing Weight Watcher's. Sometimes for breakfast I would mix a bit
>>> of liquid sweetener through it and spread on toast, top with cinnamon
>>> and put under the grill for a little bit, wonderful

>> No delis here that I know of sell it. And we don't actually have delis
>> here anyway. There are deli departments that sell sliced meat and
>> cheese. The only Ricotta we can get comes in tubs.

> That's a pain, all supermarkets here sell ricotta, cottage and fetta etc
> fresh in the deli dept where the olives, dried tomatoes etc are.

We couldn't even get fresh mozzarella here until recently and only a few
stores sell it. I only know of one that sells fresh feta. That one also
has bulk olives. Only a couple of others do the bulk olives.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> You do have to reduce some of the liquid in the raw spinach or the result
> will be watery. YOu shoul dcook the spinach down(It doesn't take long)
> and then I woul dchop it and drain well, including squooshing it to remove
> water.

Yup. Susan taught me to microwave fresh spinach I'm going to use in a
recipe (in that case: left over roast lamb, feta, and spinach in a
low-carb tortilla).

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
> > difference.

> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters do the
same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
>> > difference.

>> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
>> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

> The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters do the
> same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?

No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news

> >> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
> >> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.

> > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters do the
> > same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?

> No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!

There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
substitutes."

I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically egg
whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
eggs.

I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
after your response.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters do the
>> > same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?

>> No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!

> There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
> substitutes."

I felt I needed to shout. Why? Because that same recommendation has been
made to me countless times by countless people who apparently don't bother
to read ingredients.

They are egg whites tinted yellow. Says so on the box.

> I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically egg
> whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
> eggs.

Yep.;

> I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
> after your response.

Okay.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters do
> > > the same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?

> > No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!

> There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
> substitutes."
>
> I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically egg
> whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
> eggs.
>
> I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
> after your response.

Tsk tsk. I didn't see Julie's response as shouting. She wanted to emphasise
the word'eggs'. Without being able to underline, italicize or change fonts
or size, there are few options for emphasis.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

>> > No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!

>> There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
>> substitutes."
>>
>> I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically egg
>> whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
>> eggs.
>>
>> I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
>> after your response.

> Tsk tsk. I didn't see Julie's response as shouting. She wanted to
> emphasise
> the word'eggs'. Without being able to underline, italicize or change fonts
> or size, there are few options for emphasis.

That's exactly what I meant. If I had typed the whole thing in CAPS it
would have been shouting. One word only is for emphasis.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
: > > > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > > >
: > > >> > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make any
: > > >> > difference.
: > > >>
: > > >> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a HUGE
: > > >> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy mess.
: > > >
: > > > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters do
: > > > the same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?
: > >
: > > No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!
: >
: > There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
: > substitutes."
: >
: > I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically egg
: > whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
: > eggs.
: >
: > I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
: > after your response.

: Tsk tsk. I didn't see Julie's response as shouting. She wanted to emphasise
: the word'eggs'. Without being able to underline, italicize or change fonts
: or size, there are few options for emphasis.

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
: families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
: http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
: http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

How about eeeeggggssss!? Caps mean shouting by somputer converntion.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in
> message
> : > > > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > > >
> : > > >> > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make
> any
> : > > >> > difference.
> : > > >>
> : > > >> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a
> HUGE
> : > > >> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy
> mess.
> : > > >
> : > > > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters
> do
> : > > > the same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?
> : > >
> : > > No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!
> : >
> : > There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
> : > substitutes."
> : >
> : > I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically
> egg
> : > whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
> : > eggs.
> : >
> : > I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
> : > after your response.
>
> : Tsk tsk. I didn't see Julie's response as shouting. She wanted to
> emphasise
> : the word'eggs'. Without being able to underline, italicize or change
> fonts
> : or size, there are few options for emphasis.
>
> : --
> : Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> : families: https://semperfifund.org
> https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> : http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
> : http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
>
> How about eeeeggggssss!? Caps mean shouting by somputer converntion.

Wrong! The use of ALL caps is shouting. Even so... In the case where I
used it I did get pretty angry. Do you know how many people have suggested
the use of Egg Beaters for an egg allergy? I just find it super hard to
believe that so many people don't bother to read ingredients. I knew waaaay
before I learned of my egg allergy that Egg Beaters were made of eggs. I
used to buy them either at the military commissary or when I had a coupon.
Sometimes it was cheaper to buy them than to buy eggs in the shell. And it
was a lot quicker to fix them when I wanted scrambled eggs or an omelet.
Yes, I used the CAPS for emphasis. But I was also greatly annoyed.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > : > > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in
: > message
: > : > > > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: > : > > >
: > : > > >> > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make
: > any
: > : > > >> > difference.
: > : > > >>
: > : > > >> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a
: > HUGE
: > : > > >> difference and not in a good way. The end result was a sloppy
: > mess.
: > : > > >
: > : > > > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters
: > do
: > : > > > the same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?
: > : > >
: > : > > No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!
: > : >
: > : > There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as "egg
: > : > substitutes."
: > : >
: > : > I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically
: > egg
: > : > whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like whole
: > : > eggs.
: > : >
: > : > I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
: > : > after your response.
: >
: > : Tsk tsk. I didn't see Julie's response as shouting. She wanted to
: > emphasise
: > : the word'eggs'. Without being able to underline, italicize or change
: > fonts
: > : or size, there are few options for emphasis.
: >
: > : --
[...]

It is hard for people to keep track of all your allergies and food
dislikes and if not allergic to eggs many may not bother with the
ingredients on the egg substitutes, as they are called. In addition, many
who have issues with eggs have issues with only the yolks or the whites.
I remember this being an issue with some kids when my kids were young.

Many folks, if they have no issues with certain kinds of food see no need
to read ingredient lists. Often nutritional information is what concerns
then if hey are not bothered by allergies. I only check for certain
ingredients if I am having someone over who is sensetive to some
ingredient like nuts or gluten, etc. Otherwise they are of no concern to
me so why squint at print almost iillegible to me with my macular
degeneration just to see if they do or don't have something I don't care
about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others might be
allergic to, unless they are my house guest.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> waaaay
> : before I learned of my egg allergy that Egg Beaters were made of eggs.
> : used to buy them either at the military commissary or when I had a
> coupon.
> : Sometimes it was cheaper to buy them than to buy eggs in the shell. And
> it
> : was a lot quicker to fix them when I wanted scrambled eggs or an omelet.
> : Yes, I used the CAPS for emphasis. But I was also greatly annoyed.
>
> It is hard for people to keep track of all your allergies and food
> dislikes and if not allergic to eggs many may not bother with the
> ingredients on the egg substitutes, as they are called. In addition, many
> who have issues with eggs have issues with only the yolks or the whites.
> I remember this being an issue with some kids when my kids were young.

I don't expect anyone to keep track of my allergies. But why would anyone
think Egg Beaters are an egg substitute? They're not! They're eggs! And I
don't know about people who have issues with yolks only. However her reply
was to my not putting eggs in the stuffed shells. No mention of yolks or
whites. So why would she think I could use something with part of the egg?
Ah, but like countless others she had no clue that Egg Beaters were eggs.
No telling what all those people thought they were made of.

I read every label on every food. I always have. Only now it is necessary
to me to read and re-read and look for "may contain" or "made on shared
equipment with". That is something a person without allergies wouldn't need
to do.

> Many folks, if they have no issues with certain kinds of food see no need
> to read ingredient lists. Often nutritional information is what concerns
> then if hey are not bothered by allergies. I only check for certain
> ingredients if I am having someone over who is sensetive to some
> ingredient like nuts or gluten, etc. Otherwise they are of no concern to
> me so why squint at print almost iillegible to me with my macular
> degeneration just to see if they do or don't have something I don't care
> about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others might be
> allergic to, unless they are my house guest.

As I said... I have always read ingredients. There are certain things we
simply don't eat. Like HFCS, TVP or trans-fats. I personally think it's a
horrid thing that people just blindly eat things without questioning what is
in them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I don't expect anyone to keep track of my allergies. But why would anyone
> think Egg Beaters are an egg substitute? They're not! They're eggs! And I
> don't know about people who have issues with yolks only. However her reply
> was to my not putting eggs in the stuffed shells. No mention of yolks or
> whites. So why would she think I could use something with part of the egg?
> Ah, but like countless others she had no clue that Egg Beaters were eggs.
> No telling what all those people thought they were made of.

I have never knowingly consumed Egg Beaters, and have certainly never
bought them (or even looked at the package). So, all I knew before this
discussion is that they're a low-fat substitute for whole eggs.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> I don't expect anyone to keep track of my allergies. But why would
>> anyone
>> think Egg Beaters are an egg substitute? They're not! They're eggs!
>> And I
>> don't know about people who have issues with yolks only. However her
>> reply
>> was to my not putting eggs in the stuffed shells. No mention of yolks or
>> whites. So why would she think I could use something with part of the
>> egg?
>> Ah, but like countless others she had no clue that Egg Beaters were eggs.
>> No telling what all those people thought they were made of.

> I have never knowingly consumed Egg Beaters, and have certainly never
> bought them (or even looked at the package). So, all I knew before this
> discussion is that they're a low-fat substitute for whole eggs.

Then I guess you haven't seen the ads and coupons where they say they are
made with real eggs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: >
[...]

Eggbeaters are advertised and listed in recipes as egg substitutes,
geherally for poeple watching either calories of chloesterol so they thing
of them not a glorified egg whites, but as egg substitutes to use in place
of those fatty whole eggs for recipes or breakfast. As to the other items
you mention, some poeple carea aboat them and others do not unless there
is great publicity about themlike mayor Bloomberg, the Mayor of New York
City, who make a big fuss about these things and tried to get peopoe aware
about them, just as he stopped so much smoking in the city over the past
10 years. What is TVP? Is that the stuff you use in place of meat if you
are vegetarian? why is that a problem if soy is not something one
particularly has issues with? i know you do, as you do with so very many
things.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> what is
> : in them.
>
> Eggbeaters are advertised and listed in recipes as egg substitutes,
> geherally for poeple watching either calories of chloesterol so they thing
> of them not a glorified egg whites, but as egg substitutes to use in place
> of those fatty whole eggs for recipes or breakfast. As to the other items
> you mention, some poeple carea aboat them and others do not unless there
> is great publicity about themlike mayor Bloomberg, the Mayor of New York
> City, who make a big fuss about these things and tried to get peopoe aware
> about them, just as he stopped so much smoking in the city over the past
> 10 years. What is TVP? Is that the stuff you use in place of meat if you
> are vegetarian? why is that a problem if soy is not something one
> particularly has issues with? i know you do, as you do with so very many

TVP is texturized vegetable protein. May or may not be made of soy. To me
the taste and texture is horrible. And I do not personally believe that soy
is a healthy thing for anyone to eat. I believe it is what caused my
thyroid problems.

Again... I have always wanted to know what is in my food. And as
diabetics, I think we all should. I do not eat low carb but there are still
a lot of things out there that have too many carbs for me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> don't care
> : > about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others
> might be
> : > allergic to, unless they are my house guest.
>
> : As I said... I have always read ingredients. There are certain
> things we
> : simply don't eat. Like HFCS, TVP or trans-fats. I personally think
> it's a
> : horrid thing that people just blindly eat things without questioning
> what is
> : in them.
>
> Eggbeaters are advertised and listed in recipes as egg substitutes,
> geherally for poeple watching either calories of chloesterol so they
> thing
> of them not a glorified egg whites, but as egg substitutes to use in
> place
> of those fatty whole eggs for recipes or breakfast.

Loretta used to eat egg beaters I recall, maybe still does. I don't
think we get them here, no doubt a similar product here though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote > : > >
> : > > >> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : > > >> > On the other hand, I don't think leaving the egg out will make
> : > > >> > any difference.
> : > > >>
> : > > >> Okay. Thanks. Leaving the egg out when I made lasagna made a
> : > > >> HUGE difference and not in a good way. The end result was a
> : > > >> sloppy mess.
> : > > >
> : > > > The egg(s) holds the cheese filling together. Would Egg Beaters
> : > > > do the same? Can you eat Egg Beaters?
> : > >
> : > > No. Egg Beaters are EGGS!
> : >
> : > There's no need to shout. How was I to know? They are touted as
> : > "egg substitutes."
> : >
> : > I just went to their website and discovered that they are basically
> : > egg whites with a bunch of stuff added in so they'll seem more like
> : > whole eggs.
> : >
> : > I have learned something today. Not everyone would have gone to look
> : > after your response.
>
> : Tsk tsk. I didn't see Julie's response as shouting. She wanted to
> : emphasise the word'eggs'. Without being able to underline, italicize or
> : change fonts or size, there are few options for emphasis.
>
> : --
> : Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> : families: https://semperfifund.org
> : https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
> : http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper
> : Fi~ http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/
> : ~Semper Fi~
>
> How about eeeeggggssss!? Caps mean shouting by somputer converntion.

OK Whoops! I mean oookkk. ;-)

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > : Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > : > > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote
> > : > > > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > : > > > [ . . . . ]

End of thread for me.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/7/2012 5:41 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> It is hard for people to keep track of all your allergies and food
> dislikes and if not allergic to eggs many may not bother with the
> ingredients on the egg substitutes, as they are called. In addition, many
> who have issues with eggs have issues with only the yolks or the whites.
> I remember this being an issue with some kids when my kids were young.
>
> Many folks, if they have no issues with certain kinds of food see no need
> to read ingredient lists. Often nutritional information is what concerns
> then if hey are not bothered by allergies. I only check for certain
> ingredients if I am having someone over who is sensetive to some
> ingredient like nuts or gluten, etc. Otherwise they are of no concern to
> me so why squint at print almost iillegible to me with my macular
> degeneration just to see if they do or don't have something I don't care
> about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others might be
> allergic to, unless they are my house guest.
>
> Wendy

ty Wendy, very eloquent

i have enough to manage MY OWN LIFE that i really don't make someone
else's AND their ENTIRE family's allgeries, food intolerance, texture
dislikes, flavour dislikes, and more............... in my mind

i DO PITY the person who has to track all this, it must be a full time
job in itself............ and then there is poor hubby who must attempt
to partake in a 'normal meal' that he enjoys....................

it's all just too sad and more to pity

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/7/2012 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I don't expect anyone to keep track of my allergies. But why would anyone
> think Egg Beaters are an egg substitute? They're not! They're eggs! And I
> don't know about people who have issues with yolks only. However her reply
> was to my not putting eggs in the stuffed shells. No mention of yolks or
> whites. So why would she think I could use something with part of the egg?
> Ah, but like countless others she had no clue that Egg Beaters were eggs.
> No telling what all those people thought they were made of.

I have NEVER read "egg beaters" and *I* would have been of huge folly to
even suggest such a thing to you............ i pity you, you have so
many problems to deal with............ i can't imagine how you can eat!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/7/2012 6:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I don't expect anyone to keep track of my allergies. But why would
>> anyone
>> think Egg Beaters are an egg substitute? They're not! They're eggs!
>> And I
>> don't know about people who have issues with yolks only. However her
>> reply
>> was to my not putting eggs in the stuffed shells. No mention of yolks or
>> whites. So why would she think I could use something with part of the
>> egg?
>> Ah, but like countless others she had no clue that Egg Beaters were eggs.
>> No telling what all those people thought they were made of.

> I have NEVER read "egg beaters" and *I* would have been of huge folly to
> even suggest such a thing to you............ i pity you, you have so many
> problems to deal with............ i can't imagine how you can eat!

It's not a problem for me to eat at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 2/8/2012 1:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> It's not a problem for me to eat at all.

what a relief

I hear only that you can't eat

well, anything someone suggests

take care
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 2/7/2012 5:41 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> It is hard for people to keep track of all your allergies and food
>> dislikes and if not allergic to eggs many may not bother with the
>> ingredients on the egg substitutes, as they are called. In addition,
>> many
>> who have issues with eggs have issues with only the yolks or the whites.
>> I remember this being an issue with some kids when my kids were young.
>>
>> Many folks, if they have no issues with certain kinds of food see no need
>> to read ingredient lists. Often nutritional information is what concerns
>> then if hey are not bothered by allergies. I only check for certain
>> ingredients if I am having someone over who is sensetive to some
>> ingredient like nuts or gluten, etc. Otherwise they are of no concern to
>> me so why squint at print almost iillegible to me with my macular
>> degeneration just to see if they do or don't have something I don't care
>> about. I may check for kosher issues, but not for stuff others might be
>> allergic to, unless they are my house guest.
>>
>> Wendy

> ty Wendy, very eloquent
>
> i have enough to manage MY OWN LIFE that i really don't make someone
> else's AND their ENTIRE family's allgeries, food intolerance, texture
> dislikes, flavour dislikes, and more............... in my mind
>
> i DO PITY the person who has to track all this, it must be a full time job
> in itself............ and then there is poor hubby who must attempt to
> partake in a 'normal meal' that he enjoys....................
>
> it's all just too sad and more to pity

Will you please stop!? I really don't need people making fun of me here.
There is nothing sad in my life and nothing to be pitied. Please, please
just stop!

My husband doesn't even live here so why are you dragging him into it? He
has had no complaints about the food I serve him when he is here.

I have made meals for my husband's extended family. I remember which person
likes what and dislikes what. It really isn't a problem at all. Sometimes
I have made say...two forms of potatoes or two side dishes but seriously it
is not a problem. I also remember who likes what in my own family. Perhaps
because I am so attuned to what people like and dislike because I wouldn't
want to serve them something they dislike. But really it is no problem at
all.

Stuffed shells with meat? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 38 04-05-2014 12:28 PM
Stuffed Shells, a success! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 7 16-02-2012 05:52 AM
stuffed shells? [email protected] General Cooking 157 10-04-2011 05:18 PM
stuffed shells sf General Cooking 9 14-05-2006 02:35 PM
Stuffed shells? sarah bennett General Cooking 16 15-10-2005 07:01 PM