Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chef Boyardee Throwback

On 2/25/2019 2:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 11:30:54 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> What is it they are saying as they take their first bite?

> "Itadakimasu" is customary to say before eating in Japan. I think it means "let's eat." You can say it casually like those guy do or formally. I like the practice because it shows respect for the food.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnH_IHA-hns

Oversimplified, but close. I can understand the meaning behinf it.

"Itadakimasu" is an essential phrase in your Japanese vocabulary. It's
often translated as "I humbly receive," but in a mealtime setting, it's
compared to "Let's eat," "Bon appétit," or "Thanks for the food." Some
even liken it to the religious tradition of saying grace before eating.