Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Swedish Rye Bread?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded

> >> Lets hope I did that right. 3 photos in all

> > I just get a black screen.
> >
> > Cheri

> me too, then I'm told to sign up

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...x3AKUfN51fCNhe

Better?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1

> I see it now. I think this is the recipe I want. I don't do bread
> machines. I prefer to do it by hand.
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

It should be adaptable. Here is the recipe, (just do the manual part
on your own).

1 1/3C water plus 1TB
3 TB butter
2 2/3 C bread flour (All purpose not recommended)
1 1/3 C rye flour
3 TB gluten flour additive
3 TB brown sugar
2 ts to 1 TB Caraway seeds
1 ts salt
1 1/2 ts active dry yeast

If Caraway feels wrong, replace with Aniseseed as both are traditional.
Many use 1 TB each. German ones use stone ground mustard.

If Using a bread machine, use dough mode then let rise in the oven with
the light on for 1-1.5 hours then bake at 375 for about 20 minutes
(then check).

By hand, this is a stiff dough and should be. Due to the rye, it will
take a bit to absorb the water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:49:39 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> > >
> > > On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:28:01 -0800 (PST),

> to >> read >>>> it.

> > > You ask for a recipe without orange. You get one with orange.
> > > Will you accept it? Please tell us, Jo-Jo! The tension's almost
> > > too much!
> > >

> > I gave NO recipes. I stated, and here's a direct quote for those
> > impaired with reading comprehension problems (Ju-Ju and
> > Bruce/Druce/Drice), "With just a little bit of searching I found
> > several recipes, all VERY, VERY similar with nary an orange peel
> > or zest in the bread." It was up to the resident village idiot do
> > a bit of research on her own and decide if either one looked
> > similar or interesting to what her neighbor had eaten.
> >
> > Ten dollar bill says the dope did no research and thought "it's
> > time to jerk the RFC crowd around again. Kuthe has been getting
> > too much limelight and time for me to muscle in."

> Who is the dope? Not me. Thanks to Nellie, a further search turned up
> what I hope will make the bread that she wants. Read it and weep.
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

The picture looks the same as the slices I have off the recipe I posted
to you. The TOH recipe is a larger one (makes 4 loaves I gather from
the read up). My recipe made a large single loaf of about 10 inches
long, maybe 7 wide and about 4 tall.

Once chilled to room temp on a bakers rack, slices very well. Mine
also isn't as sweet as the TOH recipe, but your friend would have to
try one of them to know if the added 'sweet' was desired or not. Also
after rising and before baking, if you want to be pretty, cross cut the
top a bit. I obiously didn't do that. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:32:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

snip

>Who is the dope? Not me. Thanks to Nellie, a further search turned up what I
>hope will make the bread that she wants. Read it and weep.
>
>https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

that looks like what I remember as Swedish rye. Julie, rye flour
handles differently than white or whole wheat. You won't get the same
feeling with the finished dough. Resist the urge to add a lot more
flour. The rise won't be the same either. Good Luck!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-26 4:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Thankfully there are some good and helpful people here! Thanks to those
> who have helped me!

Yes of course. And don't forget to thank the many who got sucked into
trying to help you so many times only to have you reject all of their
attempts. You are like Lucy and the football and there are still a
couple Charlie Browns who are naive enough to try again and again. The
others have smartened up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message

> bothers to >>> > read it.

> > > Unfortunately the one stipulation was NO orange peel/zest and
> > > this was an orage peel/zest recipe.
> > >

> > It would have rejected just the same even if there was no orange
> > peel/zest in the recipe.

> And yet, I believe I found the correct recipe!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

> After I get the rye flour, I will make it and let everyone here know
> how if this is what she was looking for.

That will be good Julie! Kind of you to search for a bread that may be
a memory for her.

The main difference if it tastes close would be added Caraway or
Aniseed (or a bit of both). As far as I know, those are normally added
when no citrus peel is but this one is a plain sort so may be what she
is looking for.

If you find she was looking for a swedish flat bread, let us know.
It's a different construct (tends to AP flour from my understanding,
for one and some differences in the salt/sugar/yeast balance).

I don't do flatbreads often unless you count pizza dough. Most common
one for me outside pizza dough for flat is pita breads. I probably do
a pita bread run every 3-4 months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 09:33:11 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>> bothers to >>> > read it.

>> > It would have rejected just the same even if there was no orange
>> > peel/zest in the recipe.

>> And yet, I believe I found the correct recipe!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

>> After I get the rye flour, I will make it and let everyone here know
>> how if this is what she was looking for.

>That will be good Julie! Kind of you to search for a bread that may be
>a memory for her.
>
>The main difference if it tastes close would be added Caraway or
>Aniseed (or a bit of both). As far as I know, those are normally added
>when no citrus peel is but this one is a plain sort so may be what she
>is looking for.
>
>If you find she was looking for a swedish flat bread, let us know.
>It's a different construct (tends to AP flour from my understanding,
>for one and some differences in the salt/sugar/yeast balance).
>
>I don't do flatbreads often unless you count pizza dough. Most common
>one for me outside pizza dough for flat is pita breads. I probably do
>a pita bread run every 3-4 months.

Not all rye bread types have seeds in them, i.e. caraway. If you want
caraway, make a German or Jewish rye. If the woman was eating a
Swedish rye back in the 60s then she wasn't eating a rye bread with
caraway or aniseed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 10:34:13 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> > On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 19:42:33 -0600, "cshenk" >
> > wrote:

> > in >> any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I have seen
> > it >> online but it's super expensive. And I've seem recipes but
> > there are >> so many variations. She said what she used to buy
> > didn't have any >> orange or orange peel in it.

> > 74, >> if that helps. I know I could make it. But she doesn't make
> > bread so >> hasn't a clue what might have been in it. It wasn't a
> > crisp bread but >> a loaf. But she can't even describe the shape of
> > the loaf. >>

> > rye >> and all the variations that are still there today. They are
> > usually >> on the bottom shelf now and made by Orowheat. I used to
> > buy it often. >> It was a light rye with caraway seeds, not much
> > rye flavor to it, >> slightly crisp crust. HTH.

> > 60s. I'm >> pretty sure at that point there were loaf pans on the
> > market, >> Lolololol

> > > Hi Nellie, yes they had loaf pans but I suspect a more freeform
> > > is what she recalls.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1

> > > Trying to post it again

> > Nice free-form loaf.

> Um yeah! Nice Hunk O Bread! ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Grin, thanks! Looks like there are several ways to share a photo from
Amazon prime.

Anyways, that one makes about 18 slices so 9 big sandwiches or if you
go for smaller ones (where one slice is cut across to make 2 layers)
makes 18.

I find the small ones fit baggies for lunches better when taking to
work (or Charlotte when in college).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 08:48:32 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 13:12:16 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>> bread >>> > > in any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I
>> have seen >>> > > it online but it's super expensive. And I've seem
>> recipes but >>> > > there are so many variations. She said what she
>> used to buy >>> > > didn't have any orange or orange peel in it.

>> She's >>> > > 74, if that helps. I know I could make it. But she
>> doesn't make >>> > > bread so hasn't a clue what might have been in
>> it. It wasn't a >>> > > crisp bread but a loaf. But she can't even
>> describe the shape of >>> > > the loaf.

>> are >>> sold mainly during the holidays where I am, different kinds
>> from >>> pumpernickel to swedish rye. Usually in the deli.

>https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded

>> > I just get a black screen.
>> >
>> > Cheri

>> me too, then I'm told to sign up

>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...x3AKUfN51fCNhe
>
>Better?

Lookin' good... where're the caraway seeds?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2018 10:05 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Umm Jill, she seaid without citrus

>> I did but Jill wasn't paying attention. Gingko Biloba might help.

> Julie, you have certainly misread something and later seen a reply.
> It's no big matter. Jill's fine.

I'm definitely fine I simply skimmed her post and saw the word
"citrus". I made a mistake, so sorry! I don't pay that much attention
to what she posts since they are usually long winded tales about things
she can't find or for some reason rejects.

As she said, get out the popcorn! She already stated she wants to see
how long this alleged "dispute" will go on. Ready to go to battle over
nothing, Carol? LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/26/2018 10:03 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Carol, I already stated I misread her post. Perhaps you didn't
> > > read what you were replying to.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > No problem Jill. With so many posts here, it's easy to read one,
> > reply, then later find another. THats all it was.
> >

> It's hard to keep up what should or should not be included. I tend
> to skim them because they're so long winded. That's my excuse.
> Your rye bread looked very nice!
>
> Jill

No problem Jill! I often skim too. I'm home sick today (nothing
serious, just a bit of flu) so I'm probably all over the posts. Sorry!

BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
pleased with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9

I suspect short of 17F here, I have my back room back again. It's a sun
room (3 season) and the old oil heater barely took the chill off at
40F. If you have a chilly room you want to heat but off the house grid
like my sunroom, this may well work.

It does NOT require 2ft clearance on all sides. Thats just folks
getting extravagant in fear of a lawsuit. I haven't caught it hot to
the touch yet. The only thing I did was raise it on 2 bricks (to be
sure the short legs didnt have a carpet issue).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...tailpage_o00_s
02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/26/2018 10:05 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I did but Jill wasn't paying attention. Gingko Biloba might help.
> > >

> > Julie, you have certainly misread something and later seen a reply.
> > It's no big matter. Jill's fine.
> >

> I'm definitely fine I simply skimmed her post and saw the word
> "citrus". I made a mistake, so sorry! I don't pay that much
> attention to what she posts since they are usually long winded tales
> about things she can't find or for some reason rejects.
>
> As she said, get out the popcorn! She already stated she wants to
> see how long this alleged "dispute" will go on. Ready to go to
> battle over nothing, Carol? LOL
>
> Jill

Naw, I've often skimmed and missed something. I think it would be
wierd if no one else had done that.

Meantime, that leftover T-day evil celery is staring at me from the
crisper.... I am not a celery cook. I think for the one off, I will
let it go to the great celery bin in the sky....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:47:15 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/26/2018 10:05 AM, cshenk wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I did but Jill wasn't paying attention. Gingko Biloba might help.

>> Julie, you have certainly misread something and later seen a reply.
>> It's no big matter. Jill's fine.
>>

>I'm definitely fine I simply skimmed her post and saw the word
>"citrus". I made a mistake, so sorry! I don't pay that much attention
>to what she posts since they are usually long winded tales about things
>she can't find or for some reason rejects.

Basically, it can be anybody's fault, but not Jill's.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:43:05 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:

>BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
>pleased with.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9

What's the wattage?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 3:37:15 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I believe I found the correct recipe!
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/
>
> After I get the rye flour, I will make it and let everyone here know how if
> this is what she was looking for.

You could have found it ****tard if you'd bothered to do any research before
posting here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 9:31:30 AM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2018-11-26 4:41 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > Thankfully there are some good and helpful people here! Thanks to those
> > who have helped me!

> Yes of course. And don't forget to thank the many who got sucked into
> trying to help you so many times only to have you reject all of their
> attempts. You are like Lucy and the football and there are still a
> couple Charlie Browns who are naive enough to try again and again. The
> others have smartened up.

Two thumbs up!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 12:24:10 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:43:05 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:
> >
> >BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
> >pleased with.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9

> What's the wattage?

From the ad:

1,500 Watts, 5,200 BTU per hour and is capable of warming up to 1,000 sq. ft.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:48:35 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 3:37:15 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I believe I found the correct recipe!
>>
>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/
>>
>> After I get the rye flour, I will make it and let everyone here know how if
>> this is what she was looking for.
>>

>You could have found it ****tard if you'd bothered to do any research before
>posting here.

Such childish anger over nothing. You have a screw loose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 12:24:10 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:43:05 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
>>> pleased with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9

>> What's the wattage?
>>

> From the ad:
>
> 1,500 Watts, 5,200 BTU per hour and is capable of warming up to 1,000 sq. ft.

I bet it's not Popeye approved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 12:24:10 PM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:43:05 -0600, "cshenk" wrote:
> > >
> > > BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
> > > pleased with.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9

> > What's the wattage?
> >

> From the ad:
>
> 1,500 Watts, 5,200 BTU per hour and is capable of warming up to 1,000
> sq. ft.

It's in a 13x15 ft room.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> We buy some of those during the holidays, we do toast them, but it's
>>> probably not what she meant.

>> It's likely what Oroweat used to make. I actually found a website that
>> lists those ingredients and this recipe looks very close.
>>
>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

> That looks like a good and simple recipe for it.

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:32:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> snip
>>
>>Who is the dope? Not me. Thanks to Nellie, a further search turned up what
>>hope will make the bread that she wants. Read it and weep.
>>
>>https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

> that looks like what I remember as Swedish rye. Julie, rye flour
> handles differently than white or whole wheat. You won't get the same
> feeling with the finished dough. Resist the urge to add a lot more
> flour. The rise won't be the same either. Good Luck!
> Janet US

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
news
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>> bothers to >>> > read it.

>> > It would have rejected just the same even if there was no orange
>> > peel/zest in the recipe.

>> And yet, I believe I found the correct recipe!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

>> After I get the rye flour, I will make it and let everyone here know
>> how if this is what she was looking for.

> That will be good Julie! Kind of you to search for a bread that may be
> a memory for her.
>
> The main difference if it tastes close would be added Caraway or
> Aniseed (or a bit of both). As far as I know, those are normally added
> when no citrus peel is but this one is a plain sort so may be what she
> is looking for.
>
> If you find she was looking for a swedish flat bread, let us know.
> It's a different construct (tends to AP flour from my understanding,
> for one and some differences in the salt/sugar/yeast balance).
>
> I don't do flatbreads often unless you count pizza dough. Most common
> one for me outside pizza dough for flat is pita breads. I probably do
> a pita bread run every 3-4 months.

No. Not a flat bread at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 3:37:15 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I believe I found the correct recipe!
>>
>> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/
>>
>> After I get the rye flour, I will make it and let everyone here know how
>> if
>> this is what she was looking for.
>>

> You could have found it ****tard if you'd bothered to do any research
> before
> posting here.

No because I only discovered what it was after asking and finding out the
brand of it, pantiesinabunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 2:55:09 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> >
> > You could have found it ****tard if you'd bothered to do any research
> > before
> > posting here.

> No because I only discovered what it was after asking and finding out the
> brand of it, pantiesinabunch.

HAHAHAHAAAAAA, you're such an attention whore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/26/2018 12:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I'm definitely fine I simply skimmed her post and saw the word
>> "citrus". I made a mistake, so sorry! I don't pay that much
>> attention to what she posts since they are usually long winded tales
>> about things she can't find or for some reason rejects.
>>
>> As she said, get out the popcorn! She already stated she wants to
>> see how long this alleged "dispute" will go on. Ready to go to
>> battle over nothing, Carol? LOL
>>
>> Jill

> Naw, I've often skimmed and missed something. I think it would be
> wierd if no one else had done that.
>
> Meantime, that leftover T-day evil celery is staring at me from the
> crisper.... I am not a celery cook. I think for the one off, I will
> let it go to the great celery bin in the sky....

I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and
celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 23:49:16 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:

>>> Naw, I've often skimmed and missed something. I think it would be
>>> wierd if no one else had done that.
>>>
>>> Meantime, that leftover T-day evil celery is staring at me from the
>>> crisper.... I am not a celery cook. I think for the one off, I will
>>> let it go to the great celery bin in the sky....
>>>

>>I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
>>always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and
>>celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.
>>
>>Jill

>creamy celery soup - it's good stuff!

I always have celery,,, last week large stalks 88¢. bought two...
great for soups/stews

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/26/2018 12:50 PM, cshenk wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I'm definitely fine I simply skimmed her post and saw the word
>>> "citrus". I made a mistake, so sorry! I don't pay that much
>>> attention to what she posts since they are usually long winded tales
>>> about things she can't find or for some reason rejects.
>>>
>>> As she said, get out the popcorn! She already stated she wants to
>>> see how long this alleged "dispute" will go on. Ready to go to
>>> battle over nothing, Carol? LOL
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Naw, I've often skimmed and missed something. I think it would be
>> wierd if no one else had done that.
>>
>> Meantime, that leftover T-day evil celery is staring at me from the
>> crisper.... I am not a celery cook. I think for the one off, I will
>> let it go to the great celery bin in the sky....
>>

> I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
> always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and celery
> salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big one. I
love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and I
put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
>>>always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and
>>>celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.
>>>
>>>Jill

>>creamy celery soup - it's good stuff!

> I always have celery,,, last week large stalks 88¢. bought two...
> great for soups/stews

I wish I could get it for that price here! When I used to go to the movies,
I'd take a bag of large slices in my purse to munch on. Crispy like popcorn
and far less carbs! Celery has got to be one of my top 10 foods!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 2:55:09 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>> >
>> > You could have found it ****tard if you'd bothered to do any research
>> > before
>> > posting here.

>> No because I only discovered what it was after asking and finding out the
>> brand of it, pantiesinabunch.
>>

> HAHAHAHAAAAAA, you're such an attention whore.

Talking to yourself again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
> pleased with.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9
>
> I suspect short of 17F here, I have my back room back again.

Ummm...did you just say it was about 17F here yesterday morning?
lol Not in
Virginia Beach. 4-5am temps here were 50F and went up to 65F
later in the day. I only live about 8-10 miles from you. WTH?

The Swedish Appetizer Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 7 04-06-2014 06:14 PM
Swedish Rye Bread Jenn Bartimus[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-08-2007 04:39 PM
Swedish Bread PlaidPooka Recipes 0 03-12-2005 10:32 PM
New Swedish wines ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 10 07-05-2004 08:25 AM