Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Swedish Rye Bread?

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:38:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Naw, I've often skimmed and missed something. I think it would be
>>> wierd if no one else had done that.
>>>
>>> Meantime, that leftover T-day evil celery is staring at me from the
>>> crisper.... I am not a celery cook. I think for the one off, I will
>>> let it go to the great celery bin in the sky....
>>>

>> I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
>> always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and celery
>> salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

>I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big one. I
>love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and I
>put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

I enjoy celery braised in chicken stock, especially in winter. I use
a lot of celery in Chinese stir frys too... if sliced on the bias its
strings are half as long, looks nicer too. I really enjoy the flavor
of celery, as a kid my favorite soda was Dr. Browns Cel-Ray Tonic. I
haven't seen any here but years ago every NYC kosher deli had it,
couldn't eat a pastrami on rye without Cel-Ray.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:40:53 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>news
>> writes:

>>>I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
>>>always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and
>>>celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.
>>>
>>>Jill

>> creamy celery soup - it's good stuff!

>I sometimes make soup of chicken broth with celery slices. Healthy, filling
>and low calorie/carb!

I do the same often, just posted about celery braised in chicken
stock... gotta add dillweed too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:43:44 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

.. .

writes:

>>>creamy celery soup - it's good stuff!

>> I always have celery,,, last week large stalks 88¢. bought two...
>> great for soups/stews

>I wish I could get it for that price here! When I used to go to the movies,
>I'd take a bag of large slices in my purse to munch on. Crispy like popcorn
>and far less carbs! Celery has got to be one of my top 10 foods!

Was on sale for Thanksgiving, people put a lot of celery in stuffing,
etc.... usually celery is about $2.50. I don't make traditional
stuffing with all that greasy stale bread. But I still add like half
a bunch of celery to kasha varnishkas, largish dice and a couple fine
diced Vidalias. I have about half the turkey (boneless) in the
freezer and two containers of kasha varniskas frozen, and I froze
about a pint of the gravy,

I'm seriously thinking of a butt half of fresh ham for Christmas
dinner... I'll soon be discussing this with the butcher at the market
in town. My wife won't eat cured ham but she loves fresh ham. We
like plantains too but we've never seen any around here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:38:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
>>> always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and celery
>>> salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

>> I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big one. I
>> love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and I
>> put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

> I enjoy celery braised in chicken stock, especially in winter. I use
> a lot of celery in Chinese stir frys too... if sliced on the bias its
> strings are half as long, looks nicer too. I really enjoy the flavor
> of celery, as a kid my favorite soda was Dr. Browns Cel-Ray Tonic. I
> haven't seen any here but years ago every NYC kosher deli had it,
> couldn't eat a pastrami on rye without Cel-Ray.

Popeye, Yoose can make yoose own cel ray.

Grind up a few bushels of celery in yoose meat grinder and add a few
gallons of seltzer water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:38:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people who
>>> always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery leaves and
>>> celery
>>> salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

>>I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big one.
>>love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and
>>put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

> I enjoy celery braised in chicken stock, especially in winter. I use
> a lot of celery in Chinese stir frys too... if sliced on the bias its
> strings are half as long, looks nicer too. I really enjoy the flavor
> of celery, as a kid my favorite soda was Dr. Browns Cel-Ray Tonic. I
> haven't seen any here but years ago every NYC kosher deli had it,
> couldn't eat a pastrami on rye without Cel-Ray.

I often put it in stir fries. Has lots of natural sodium and that's good for
knee joints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > Naw, I've often skimmed and missed something. I think it would be
> > > wierd if no one else had done that.
> > >
> > > Meantime, that leftover T-day evil celery is staring at me from
> > > the crisper.... I am not a celery cook. I think for the one
> > > off, I will let it go to the great celery bin in the sky....
> > >

> > I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people
> > who always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery
> > leaves and celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

> I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big
> one. I love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or
> peanut butter and I put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

LOL, mine is subsuming and may be the rare toss here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > BTW, not cooking related, I got a very nice backroom heater I am
> > pleased with.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077K1ZHP9
> >
> > I suspect short of 17F here, I have my back room back again.

> Ummm...did you just say it was about 17F here yesterday morning?
> lol Not in
> Virginia Beach. 4-5am temps here were 50F and went up to 65F
> later in the day. I only live about 8-10 miles from you. WTH?

No, I said *short of 17F* I think this heater will work.

I do not think the heater will hold well in that level of cold as it is
a sunroom. Too much heat loss from the glass walls.

For today, it's showing as 41F right now with a drop to 36F tonight and
TV news says windchill may be 22F.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:08:58 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:

>> > I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people
>> > who always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery
>> > leaves and celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

>> I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big
>> one. I love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or
>> peanut butter and I put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

>LOL, mine is subsuming and may be the rare toss here.

What's subsuming celery?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > I'm not a big fan of celery either. I'm not one of those people
>> > who always hae celery on hand. I do use dried ground celery
>> > leaves and celery salt comes in handy when I make barley pilaf.

>> I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big
>> one. I love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or
>> peanut butter and I put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

> LOL, mine is subsuming and may be the rare toss here.

That sentence made np sense. I had to look up "subsuming".

sub·sume (sÉ™b-soÍžom€²)
tr.v. sub·sumed, sub·sum·ing, sub·sumes
1. To classify or include in a more comprehensive category or under a
general principle:"When late eighteenth-century Americans spoke of politics,
they referred to a broad set ofprinciples that they subsumed under the
heading of republicanism" (Eric Foner).
2. To absorb (something) into or cause (something) to be overshadowed by
something else:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:08:58 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big
>>> one. I love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or
>>> peanut butter and I put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

>>LOL, mine is subsuming and may be the rare toss here.

> What's subsuming celery?

I don't want to know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 11:06:30 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't want to know.

The worst five words in the English language.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 6:48:00 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:38:59 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> >>I love it! Most weeks I buy two stalks unless I can find a really big one.
> >>love it sliced into green salads, stuffed with cheese or peanut butter and
> >>put it in all sorts of things that I cook.

> > I enjoy celery braised in chicken stock, especially in winter. I use
> > a lot of celery in Chinese stir frys too... if sliced on the bias its
> > strings are half as long, looks nicer too. I really enjoy the flavor
> > of celery, as a kid my favorite soda was Dr. Browns Cel-Ray Tonic. I
> > haven't seen any here but years ago every NYC kosher deli had it,
> > couldn't eat a pastrami on rye without Cel-Ray.

> I often put it in stir fries. Has lots of natural sodium and that's good for
> knee joints.

Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body know
where the sodium ions came from?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-28 4:21 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 6:48:00 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

>> I often put it in stir fries. Has lots of natural sodium and that's good for
>> knee joints.

> Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body know
> where the sodium ions came from?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

It's magic:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:41:27 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-11-28 4:21 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 6:48:00 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I often put it in stir fries. Has lots of natural sodium and that's good for
>>> knee joints.

>> Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body know
>> where the sodium ions came from?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>It's magic:-)

I think she meant naturally occurring sodium
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-28 9:49 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:41:27 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body know
>>> where the sodium ions came from?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> It's magic:-)

> I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

I meant that there are so many fools out there believing in all sorts of
"woo" and the word "natural" is the most overused term that these
nutters use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:41:27 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-11-28 4:21 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 6:48:00 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I often put it in stir fries. Has lots of natural sodium and that's good
>>> for
>>> knee joints.

>> Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body
>> know
>> where the sodium ions came from?
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>It's magic:-)

I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 10:06:03 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-11-28 9:49 a.m., U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> It's magic:-)

>> I think she meant naturally occurring sodium
>>

>I meant that there are so many fools out there believing in all sorts of
>"woo" and the word "natural" is the most overused term that these
>nutters use.

You can't see transfats, yet they're bad for you. You can't see
vitamins, yet they're good for you. Don't you hate that things aren't
a bit simpler, Graham?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

writes:

>>>It's magic:-)

>>I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

>as opposed to synthetic sodium

for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:49:20 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:41:27 -0700, graham > wrote:

> >> Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body know
> >> where the sodium ions came from?
> >>
> >> Cindy Hamilton
> >>

> >It's magic:-)

> I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

Plain old table salt would be just as good for your knee joints.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>>It's magic:-)

>>I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

>as opposed to synthetic sodium

for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
challenged her as to where the sodium came from.

-----

I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!

You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 10:22:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
> writes:

> >>I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

> >as opposed to synthetic sodium

> for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
> If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
> challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
>
> -----
>
> I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!
>
> You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need to have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.

I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not an issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't know celery was so hard to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 10:22:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > wrote:
>
> writes:

> >>I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

> >as opposed to synthetic sodium

> for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
> If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
> challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
>
> -----
>
> I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!
>
> You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need to
have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.

I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not an
issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop
steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can
make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't
know celery was so hard to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe

===

That looks lovely, but celery? D. doesn't like it <g> Need I say more LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 10:22:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >
> > On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > > wrote:

> > >as opposed to synthetic sodium

> > for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
> > If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
> > challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!
> >
> > You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

> If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need to
> have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.
>
> I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not an
> issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop
> steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can
> make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't
> know celery was so hard to get rid of.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe
>
> ===
>
> That looks lovely, but celery? D. doesn't like it <g> Need I say more LOL

You need say no more. I don't really care for the stuff either. OTOH, I'll get to test my theory that with enough garlic and chili, you can make anything tasty. Hee hee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 10:22:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >
> > On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> > > wrote:

> > >as opposed to synthetic sodium

> > for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
> > If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
> > challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!
> >
> > You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

> If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need
> have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.
>
> I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not
> an
> issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop
> steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can
> make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't
> know celery was so hard to get rid of.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe
>
> ===
>
> That looks lovely, but celery? D. doesn't like it <g> Need I say more LOL

You need say no more. I don't really care for the stuff either. OTOH, I'll
get to test my theory that with enough garlic and chili, you can make
anything tasty. Hee hee

===

LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of soup!
He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
advance??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 10:22:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>> >
>> > On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

>> > for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't.
>> > If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
>> > challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
>> >
>> > -----
>> >
>> > I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!
>> >
>> > You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

>> If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need
>> have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.
>>
>> I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not
>> an
>> issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop
>> steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can
>> make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't
>> know celery was so hard to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe

>> ===
>>
>> That looks lovely, but celery? D. doesn't like it <g> Need I say more LOL

>You need say no more. I don't really care for the stuff either. OTOH, I'll
>get to test my theory that with enough garlic and chili, you can make
>anything tasty. Hee hee
>
>===
>
>LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of soup!
>He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
>advance??

miso!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 12:02:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 10:22:43 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> > >
> > > On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 17:09:58 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle

> > > for her it would have been a damned if you do and damned if you don't..
> > > If she said celery had lots of sodium posters here would have
> > > challenged her as to where the sodium came from.
> > >
> > > -----
> > >
> > > I don't know a lot about this but I am very sure sure you are correct!
> > >
> > > You are looking at it from a nicer angle.

> > If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need
> > have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.
> >
> > I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not
> > an
> > issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop
> > steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can
> > make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't
> > know celery was so hard to get rid of.
> >
> > https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe
> >
> > ===
> >
> > That looks lovely, but celery? D. doesn't like it <g> Need I say more LOL

> You need say no more. I don't really care for the stuff either. OTOH, I'll
> get to test my theory that with enough garlic and chili, you can make
> anything tasty. Hee hee
>
> ===
>
> LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of soup!
> He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
> advance??

Like tert sez - miso. Although that depends on whether your hubby likes the stuff. The possibility exists that he may not. I got some Japanese miso last week that you just add to water - no soup base required. Boy that sounds really easy but I have yet to try it. Anyway, if the taste of miso is too strange for him you could serve something similar i.e., a clearish light soup. Good luck!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 12:40:05 PM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:
> >

> >"dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> >On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> If someone says there's a lot of sodium in celery, I don't feel the need
> >> have them prove it to me. I'm the kind of guy that trusts people.
> >>
> >> I've got a bunch of celery - literally and quantitatively. Sodium is not
> >> an
> >> issue. My main problem is how to use it all up. I made some Hawaiian chop
> >> steak last night which has onions, celery, sweet peppers, and steak. I can
> >> make some stew which will leave me with one more bunch of celery. I didn't
> >> know celery was so hard to get rid of.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...q0SBuo5ZxuhlLe

> >> ===
> >>
> >> That looks lovely, but celery? D. doesn't like it <g> Need I say more LOL

> >You need say no more. I don't really care for the stuff either. OTOH, I'll
> >get to test my theory that with enough garlic and chili, you can make
> >anything tasty. Hee hee
> >
> >===
> >
> >LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of soup!
> >He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
> >advance??

> miso!

That's a good idea. I'll have to make some forthwith.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 08:41:27 -0700, graham > wrote:

>>> Is there something special about "natural sodium"? How does the body
>>> know
>>> where the sodium ions came from?
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>>It's magic:-)

> I think she meant naturally occurring sodium

Yes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of
> soup!
> He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
> advance??

Like tert sez - miso. Although that depends on whether your hubby likes the
stuff. The possibility exists that he may not. I got some Japanese miso last
week that you just add to water - no soup base required. Boy that sounds
really easy but I have yet to try it. Anyway, if the taste of miso is too
strange for him you could serve something similar i.e., a clearish light
soup. Good luck!

---

Thanks, I'll have a look

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

> >LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of
> >soup!
> >He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
> >advance??

> miso!

=

Hey I need a recipe ... please?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" wrote in message news

>LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of
>soup!
>He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
>advance??

miso!

==

I think I got a bit mixed up with my last response.

Do you make it yourself or have you used the packs that Dsi1 mentioned?

If you use the packs, how do you find them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 8:34:33 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "tert in seattle" wrote in message news >
> writes:
> >

> >"tert in seattle" wrote in message news > >
> writes:

> >>miso!
> >>
> >>==
> >>
> >>I think I got a bit mixed up with my last response.
> >>
> >>Do you make it yourself or have you used the packs that Dsi1 mentioned?
> >>
> >>If you use the packs, how do you find them?

> >I never make miso - I only eat it at Japanese restaurants
> >
> >the reason it's so good is katsuobushi
> >
> >==
> >
> >Thanks I did look up your 'katsuobushi' but i don't think it is for me
> >
> >I can get miso in the supermarkts here. Next time I go shopping I will
> >pick
> >up a pack and see how it turns out

> I know katsuobushi seems bizarre, and you don't eat it straight except
> as flakes that are shaved off the rock hard dried fish that are sprinkled
> on things as a sort of condiment, but it's really very tasty
>
> ==
>
> Ok well! If I ever see it, I will try it, but tbh I doubt it will be in the
> shops here

I've never seen katsuobushi in whole form. I don't know why the hell it's not sold on this rock. Katsuobushi is bonito that is dried, smoked, fermented, and aged. This turns the fish into a hard, glassy, material. It's amazing stuff and I've read that the same process can be done on other meats. It would be interesting to beef or chicken processed this way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 7:39:08 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "tert in seattle" wrote in message news >
> writes:
> >

> >"tert in seattle" wrote in message
> >news
> >>
> >>LOL Hey, a question if you are still here D. fancies some kind of
> >>soup!
> >>He has asked for sushi for tomorrow. What kind of soup could I serve in
> >>advance??

> >miso!
> >
> >==
> >
> >I think I got a bit mixed up with my last response.
> >
> >Do you make it yourself or have you used the packs that Dsi1 mentioned?
> >
> >If you use the packs, how do you find them?

> I never make miso - I only eat it at Japanese restaurants
>
> the reason it's so good is katsuobushi
>
> ==
>
> Thanks I did look up your 'katsuobushi' but i don't think it is for
> me
>
> I can get miso in the supermarkts here. Next time I go shopping I will
> pick
> up a pack and see how it turns out

You should also pick up a box of soup base/dashi. It comes in a small box
and has around 10 bags that will make a lot of stock. It's cheap too -
usually about a buck.

Boil 4 cups of water and add one bag of the stock. Add about 2 tablespoons
of miso and stir until dissolved. That's it. I'll usually add some diced
tofu and green onions. I like the soup but it's going to taste rather odd to
you guys, I think.

===

Thanks, fingers crossed I can find that They are now on my list, so we
shall see) Thanks for that)

I don't know if I will like it ... but D. has liked everything so far .. so
who knows)

I will be shopping next on Saturday, so I will get back to you

The Swedish Appetizer Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 7 04-06-2014 06:14 PM
Swedish Rye Bread Jenn Bartimus[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-08-2007 04:39 PM
Swedish Bread PlaidPooka Recipes 0 03-12-2005 11:32 PM
New Swedish wines ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 10 07-05-2004 08:25 AM