Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The Swedish Appetizer

Last night our guest prepared a very simple Swedish appetizer for us.
There was a platter of pickled herring, hard cheese (aged cheddar),
radishes and sour cream with chopped chives. It was eaten with beer and
schnapps. It was delicious. I have said here before that the combination
of pickled herring with sour cream and beer is one of the great flavour
combinations. I had not had it for a while and it reinforced my
feelings that I should have it more often. The schnapps was a bonus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 2, 2014 9:30:16 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> Last night our guest prepared a very simple Swedish appetizer for us.
>
> There was a platter of pickled herring, hard cheese (aged cheddar),
>
> radishes and sour cream with chopped chives. It was eaten with beer and
>
> schnapps. It was delicious. I have said here before that the combination
>
> of pickled herring with sour cream and beer is one of the great flavour
>
> combinations. I had not had it for a while and it reinforced my
>
> feelings that I should have it more often. The schnapps was a bonus.

Schnapps? You German *******!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 09:30:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Last night our guest prepared a very simple Swedish appetizer for us.
> There was a platter of pickled herring, hard cheese (aged cheddar),
> radishes and sour cream with chopped chives. It was eaten with beer and
> schnapps. It was delicious. I have said here before that the combination
> of pickled herring with sour cream and beer is one of the great flavour
> combinations. I had not had it for a while and it reinforced my
> feelings that I should have it more often. The schnapps was a bonus.

Pickled herring is really good... with or without the sour cream.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith[_1_] View Post
Last night our guest prepared a very simple Swedish appetizer for us.
There was a platter of pickled herring, hard cheese (aged cheddar),
radishes and sour cream with chopped chives. It was eaten with beer and
schnapps. It was delicious. I have said here before that the combination
of pickled herring with sour cream and beer is one of the great flavour
combinations. I had not had it for a while and it reinforced my
feelings that I should have it more often. The schnapps was a bonus.
Sounds like them yumppin yimmies eat pretty good. Think Kroger had some jars of pickled herring in sour cream in the mark down section one time. It was pretty nasty. The beer and schnaps sounds good. I used to make my own Peppermint Schnapps. Much better and not near as sickening sweet as the store bought variety. Makes a nice shooter to get the beer and pickled herring flavor out of the mouth parts. Gives fresh breath etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2014 10:16 AM, A Goose in Love wrote:
> Schnapps? You German *******!

Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Swedish Meatballs [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 30-01-2007 08:50 PM
Swedish Meatballs Mom2Sam Tiny Recipes (moderated) 0 22-12-2006 10:39 PM
Swedish Toscas International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 29-06-2006 03:59 AM
Swedish Brownies Duckie ® Recipes 0 29-07-2005 04:10 AM
Swedish Meatballs ron g Recipes (moderated) 0 31-03-2004 02:59 AM