Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Swedish Rye Bread?

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Boron! That should help her if she bothers to read
> it.
>
> Jill

It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:28:01 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the info, Boron! That should help her if she bothers to read
>> it.
>>
>> Jill
>>

>It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

You ask for a recipe without orange. You get one with orange. Will you
accept it? Please tell us, Jo-Jo! The tension's almost too much!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-11-25 4:39 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/25/2018 4:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> You can't read for comprehension either. The recipe with orange is not
>> what I wanted. At least she said there was no orange in it. I want to
>> know if anyone remembers a readily available Swedish rye bread? If so,
>> perhaps they could describe it as she couldn't.

> Sorry, you mentioned orange peels (no idea why) so that's what I thought
> you were looking for.* Mea culpa.

Funny how the person was talking about something commonly available at
one time but no longer and, for some reason it had to be mentioned that
it did not have orange peel. WTF???

I am left thinking that maybe this is just another case of something
that cannot be found in Bothell ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded

> > Lets hope I did that right. 3 photos in all

> I just get a black screen.
>
> Cheri

Wait for a moment?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:49:39 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:28:01 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for the info, Boron! That should help her if she bothers to read
> >> it.
> >>
> >> Jill
> >>

> >It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

> You ask for a recipe without orange. You get one with orange. Will you
> accept it? Please tell us, Jo-Jo! The tension's almost too much!

I gave NO recipes. I stated, and here's a direct quote for those impaired
with reading comprehension problems (Ju-Ju and Bruce/Druce/Drice),
"With just a little bit of searching I found several recipes, all VERY, VERY
similar with nary an orange peel or zest in the bread." It was up to the
resident village idiot do a bit of research on her own and decide if either
one looked similar or interesting to what her neighbor had eaten.

Ten dollar bill says the dope did no research and thought "it's time to jerk
the RFC crowd around again. Kuthe has been getting too much limelight and
time for me to muscle in."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/25/2018 4:12 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> Personally, I think she's talking about those smaller loaves that are
>>> sold mainly during the holidays where I am, different kinds from
>>> pumpernickel to swedish rye. Usually in the deli.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Hard to say.
>>
>> Either way, my rye came out nicely.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded
>>

>> Lets hope I did that right.* 3 photos in all

> I just get a black screen.
>
> Cheri

I have to "sign in" to Amazon to view her bread. Nope.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nellie wrote:

> My friend mentioned that she could readily buy Swedish Rye bread in
> any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I have seen it
> online but it's super expensive. And I've seem recipes but there are
> so many variations. She said what she used to buy didn't have any
> orange or orange peel in it.
>
> Does anyone know what kind of bread this might have been? She's 74,
> if that helps. I know I could make it. But she doesn't make bread so
> hasn't a clue what might have been in it. It wasn't a crisp bread but
> a loaf. But she can't even describe the shape of the loaf.
>
> Julie- I remember the Swedish rye in every supermarket,
> very common, I hAvent seen it in ages. It was with the Russian rye
> and all the variations that are still there today. They are usually
> on the bottom shelf now and made by Orowheat. I used to buy it often.
> It was a light rye with caraway seeds, not much rye flavor to it,
> slightly crisp crust. HTH.
>
> Note to cshenk. If a person is 74, they were cooking in the 60s. I'm
> pretty sure at that point there were loaf pans on the market,
> Lolololol
>
> Nellie.

Hi Nellie, yes they had loaf pans but I suspect a more freeform is what
she recalls.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1

Trying to post it again
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 14:40:41 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> > wrote:

> bread >>>>>> > in any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I
> have seen >>>>>> > it online but it's super expensive. And I've seem
> recipes but >>>>>> > there are so many variations. She said what she
> used to buy >>>>>> > didn't have any orange or orange peel in it.

> She's >>>>>> > 74, if that helps. I know I could make it. But she
> doesn't make >>>>>> > bread so hasn't a clue what might have been in
> it. It wasn't a >>>>>> > crisp bread but a loaf. But she can't even
> describe the shape of >>>>>> > the loaf.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded

> > > me too, then I'm told to sign up

> > I have to sign in too.

> I had to sign in but nothing loaded.

Try this?

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 20:23:27 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-11-25 4:39 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/25/2018 4:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You can't read for comprehension either. The recipe with orange is not
>>> what I wanted. At least she said there was no orange in it. I want to
>>> know if anyone remembers a readily available Swedish rye bread? If so,
>>> perhaps they could describe it as she couldn't.

>> Sorry, you mentioned orange peels (no idea why) so that's what I thought
>> you were looking for.* Mea culpa.
>>

>Funny how the person was talking about something commonly available at
>one time but no longer and, for some reason it had to be mentioned that
>it did not have orange peel. WTF???

It doesn't take much to totally baffle you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 19:24:57 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Cheri wrote:

>> > Hard to say.
>> >
>> > Either way, my rye came out nicely.
>> >

>https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded
>> >
>> > Lets hope I did that right. 3 photos in all

>> I just get a black screen.
>>
>> Cheri

>Wait for a moment?

You had this before and you fixed it. Maybe you can fix it again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 17:26:17 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:49:39 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:28:01 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

>> You ask for a recipe without orange. You get one with orange. Will you
>> accept it? Please tell us, Jo-Jo! The tension's almost too much!
>>

>I gave NO recipes. I stated, and here's a direct quote for those impaired
>with reading comprehension problems (Ju-Ju and Bruce/Druce/Drice),
>"With just a little bit of searching I found several recipes, all VERY, VERY
>similar with nary an orange peel or zest in the bread." It was up to the
>resident village idiot do a bit of research on her own and decide if either
>one looked similar or interesting to what her neighbor had eaten.
>
>Ten dollar bill says the dope did no research and thought "it's time to jerk
>the RFC crowd around again. Kuthe has been getting too much limelight and
>time for me to muscle in."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 5:42:41 PM UTC-8, cshenk wrote:
> Nellie wrote:
>
> > My friend mentioned that she could readily buy Swedish Rye bread in
> > any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I have seen it
> > online but it's super expensive. And I've seem recipes but there are
> > so many variations. She said what she used to buy didn't have any
> > orange or orange peel in it.
> >
> > Does anyone know what kind of bread this might have been? She's 74,
> > if that helps. I know I could make it. But she doesn't make bread so
> > hasn't a clue what might have been in it. It wasn't a crisp bread but
> > a loaf. But she can't even describe the shape of the loaf.
> >
> > Julie- I remember the Swedish rye in every supermarket,
> > very common, I hAvent seen it in ages. It was with the Russian rye
> > and all the variations that are still there today. They are usually
> > on the bottom shelf now and made by Orowheat. I used to buy it often.
> > It was a light rye with caraway seeds, not much rye flavor to it,
> > slightly crisp crust. HTH.
> >
> > Note to cshenk. If a person is 74, they were cooking in the 60s. I'm
> > pretty sure at that point there were loaf pans on the market,
> > Lolololol
> >
> > Nellie.

> Hi Nellie, yes they had loaf pans but I suspect a more freeform is what
> she recalls.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1
>
> Trying to post it again

Hey, thanks, Carol!
Nellie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 19:42:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Nellie wrote:
>
>> My friend mentioned that she could readily buy Swedish Rye bread in
>> any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I have seen it
>> online but it's super expensive. And I've seem recipes but there are
>> so many variations. She said what she used to buy didn't have any
>> orange or orange peel in it.
>>
>> Does anyone know what kind of bread this might have been? She's 74,
>> if that helps. I know I could make it. But she doesn't make bread so
>> hasn't a clue what might have been in it. It wasn't a crisp bread but
>> a loaf. But she can't even describe the shape of the loaf.
>>
>> Julie- I remember the Swedish rye in every supermarket,
>> very common, I hAvent seen it in ages. It was with the Russian rye
>> and all the variations that are still there today. They are usually
>> on the bottom shelf now and made by Orowheat. I used to buy it often.
>> It was a light rye with caraway seeds, not much rye flavor to it,
>> slightly crisp crust. HTH.
>>
>> Note to cshenk. If a person is 74, they were cooking in the 60s. I'm
>> pretty sure at that point there were loaf pans on the market,
>> Lolololol
>>
>> Nellie.

>Hi Nellie, yes they had loaf pans but I suspect a more freeform is what
>she recalls.
>
>https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1
>
>Trying to post it again

Nice free-form loaf.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 10:34:13 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 19:42:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> >Nellie wrote:
> >
> >> My friend mentioned that she could readily buy Swedish Rye bread in
> >> any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I have seen it
> >> online but it's super expensive. And I've seem recipes but there are
> >> so many variations. She said what she used to buy didn't have any
> >> orange or orange peel in it.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what kind of bread this might have been? She's 74,
> >> if that helps. I know I could make it. But she doesn't make bread so
> >> hasn't a clue what might have been in it. It wasn't a crisp bread but
> >> a loaf. But she can't even describe the shape of the loaf.
> >>
> >> Julie- I remember the Swedish rye in every supermarket,
> >> very common, I hAvent seen it in ages. It was with the Russian rye
> >> and all the variations that are still there today. They are usually
> >> on the bottom shelf now and made by Orowheat. I used to buy it often.
> >> It was a light rye with caraway seeds, not much rye flavor to it,
> >> slightly crisp crust. HTH.
> >>
> >> Note to cshenk. If a person is 74, they were cooking in the 60s. I'm
> >> pretty sure at that point there were loaf pans on the market,
> >> Lolololol
> >>
> >> Nellie.

> >Hi Nellie, yes they had loaf pans but I suspect a more freeform is what
> >she recalls.
> >
> >https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1
> >
> >Trying to post it again

> Nice free-form loaf.

Um yeah! Nice Hunk O Bread! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Julie, no one can tell for sure what recipe you may want.

>> Personally, I think she's talking about those smaller loaves that are
>> sold mainly during the holidays where I am, different kinds from
>> pumpernickel to swedish rye. Usually in the deli.

> You mean the tiny slices? She said they used the bread for toast so I
> don't think it's that. If that, I know what they are. I think Central
> Market sells it.

We buy some of those during the holidays, we do toast them, but it's
probably not what she meant.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message news:X5adnX_uLtc50mbGnZ2dnUU7-

>try this

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...dXfQueMMR1That worked, very nice looking bread.Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-11-25 4:39 p.m., jmcquown wrote:
>> On 11/25/2018 4:11 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> You can't read for comprehension either. The recipe with orange is not
>>> what I wanted. At least she said there was no orange in it. I want to
>>> know if anyone remembers a readily available Swedish rye bread? If so,
>>> perhaps they could describe it as she couldn't.

>> Sorry, you mentioned orange peels (no idea why) so that's what I thought
>> you were looking for. Mea culpa.
>>

> Funny how the person was talking about something commonly available at one
> time but no longer and, for some reason it had to be mentioned that it did
> not have orange peel. WTF???
>
> I am left thinking that maybe this is just another case of something that
> cannot be found in Bothell ?

I found many recipes. Some called for caraway seeds. Some called for orange
peel, rind or juice. Different sweeteners. My friend doesn't live in Bothell
but she did for a couple of years in the 80's. I have found possible success
now. Two different people said it was made by Oroweat. They no longer make
it but a search brought up the ingredients that were in it. It had HFCS and
other weird stuff that a home baker wouldn't have or need but... This recipe
looks quite similar except for the sweetener and fat used. It makes 4
loaves. I will try it and hopefully she can eat it. She's on a restricted
diet for a medical problem and can't have too much fiber. This is a mix of
rye and regular (not bread) flour so one slice might be doable for her. She
has been craving a lot of things because her diet has been so limited.
Here's the recipe:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 20:23:27 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Sorry, you mentioned orange peels (no idea why) so that's what I thought
>>> you were looking for. Mea culpa.
>>>

>>Funny how the person was talking about something commonly available at
>>one time but no longer and, for some reason it had to be mentioned that
>>it did not have orange peel. WTF???

> It doesn't take much to totally baffle you.

Dead easy with several here, actually.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
news
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Personally, I think she's talking about those smaller loaves that are
>>> sold mainly during the holidays where I am, different kinds from
>>> pumpernickel to swedish rye. Usually in the deli.

>> You mean the tiny slices? She said they used the bread for toast so I
>> don't think it's that. If that, I know what they are. I think Central
>> Market sells it.

> We buy some of those during the holidays, we do toast them, but it's
> probably not what she meant.

It's likely what Oroweat used to make. I actually found a website that lists
those ingredients and this recipe looks very close.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:24:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 20:23:27 -0500, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>Funny how the person was talking about something commonly available at
>>>one time but no longer and, for some reason it had to be mentioned that
>>>it did not have orange peel. WTF???

>> It doesn't take much to totally baffle you.

>Dead easy with several here, actually.

True. Their lives must be one continuous surprise.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "Bruce" > wrote in message

>> bread >>>>>> > in any grocery store as a kid through a young adult. I
>> have seen >>>>>> > it online but it's super expensive. And I've seem
>> recipes but >>>>>> > there are so many variations. She said what she
>> used to buy >>>>>> > didn't have any orange or orange peel in it.

>> She's >>>>>> > 74, if that helps. I know I could make it. But she
>> doesn't make >>>>>> > bread so hasn't a clue what might have been in
>> it. It wasn't a >>>>>> > crisp bread but a loaf. But she can't even
>> describe the shape of >>>>>> > the loaf.

> https://www.amazon.com/photos/all/ga...rtDateUploaded

>> > I have to sign in too.

>> I had to sign in but nothing loaded.

> Try this?
>
> https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/sh...PjvodXfQueMMR1

I see it now. I think this is the recipe I want. I don't do bread machines.
I prefer to do it by hand.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the info, Boron! That should help her if she bothers to read
>> it.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

Dur. I already said I didn't want a recipe with orange. Do get with the
program. Jill wasn't with it either and claimed she saw no recipe with
orange. But thanks to Nellie here and a person on my local FB group, I now
know that it was made by Oroweat. A search brought up those ingredients and
a further search brought up a recipe that appears to be the right one.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:28:01 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 1:28:09 PM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the info, Boron! That should help her if she bothers to read
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>>It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

> You ask for a recipe without orange. You get one with orange. Will you
> accept it? Please tell us, Jo-Jo! The tension's almost too much!

This is getting too funny. I should just put some posters on ignore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 6:49:39 PM UTC-6, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 16:28:01 -0800 (PST), "
>> > wrote:

>> >It will be rejected. Just wait for it.

>> You ask for a recipe without orange. You get one with orange. Will you
>> accept it? Please tell us, Jo-Jo! The tension's almost too much!
>>

> I gave NO recipes. I stated, and here's a direct quote for those impaired
> with reading comprehension problems (Ju-Ju and Bruce/Druce/Drice),
> "With just a little bit of searching I found several recipes, all VERY,
> VERY
> similar with nary an orange peel or zest in the bread." It was up to the
> resident village idiot do a bit of research on her own and decide if
> either
> one looked similar or interesting to what her neighbor had eaten.
>
> Ten dollar bill says the dope did no research and thought "it's time to
> jerk
> the RFC crowd around again. Kuthe has been getting too much limelight and
> time for me to muscle in."

Who is the dope? Not me. Thanks to Nellie, a further search turned up what I
hope will make the bread that she wants. Read it and weep.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 01:24:22 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 20:23:27 -0500, Dave Smith

>>> It doesn't take much to totally baffle you.

>>Dead easy with several here, actually.

> True. Their lives must be one continuous surprise.

Hehehe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> news
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> You mean the tiny slices? She said they used the bread for toast so I
>>> don't think it's that. If that, I know what they are. I think Central
>>> Market sells it.

>> We buy some of those during the holidays, we do toast them, but it's
>> probably not what she meant.

> It's likely what Oroweat used to make. I actually found a website that
> lists those ingredients and this recipe looks very close.
>
> https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/swedish-rye-bread/

That looks like a good and simple recipe for it.

Cheri

The Swedish Appetizer Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 7 04-06-2014 06:14 PM
Swedish Rye Bread Jenn Bartimus[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 08-08-2007 04:39 PM
Swedish Bread PlaidPooka Recipes 0 03-12-2005 10:32 PM
New Swedish wines ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 10 07-05-2004 08:25 AM