Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork belly

I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
but I don't know what people do with it.

Ideas?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
> but I don't know what people do with it.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to
render the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a
fashionable cut for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2016 9:04 AM, graham wrote:
> On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>
>> Ideas?

> Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
> French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
> brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to
> render the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a
> fashionable cut for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly

Thanks very much! I know it's been all the rage in restaurants
for a while, but I've never come across it, myself. Guess I don't
hang out at the right places.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
> On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> nancy

> Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
> French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
> brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to render
> the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a fashionable cut
> for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly
> Graham

Great ideas. You might also try making your own bacon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 07:04:56 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> nancy

>Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
>French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
>brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to
>render the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a
>fashionable cut for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
>http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly
>Graham

I can get it here at a specialty butcher but one thing I do is leave
it uncovered in the fridge overnight, score the skin before roasting
on a rack, very slowly. Delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2016 9:36 AM, taxed and spent wrote:
> "graham" > wrote in message

>> On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>>
>>> Ideas?

>> the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a fashionable cut
>> for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
>> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly
>> Graham

> Great ideas. You might also try making your own bacon.

It certainly crossed my mind, it sure looks like raw bacon. That
would require us to get a smoker or make do somehow. Could be a
fun thing to try, though.

Thanks.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>but I don't know what people do with it.
>
>Ideas?
>
>nancy

I also saw it at Costco and it looked good. Don't know what to do
with it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 07:04:56 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> nancy

>Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
>French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
>brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to
>render the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a
>fashionable cut for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
>http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly
>Graham

thanks for all that. Everything sounds wonderful
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 20/03/2016 10:21 AM, Janet B wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 07:04:56 -0600, graham > wrote:
>
>> On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
>> French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
>> brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to
>> render the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a
>> fashionable cut for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
>> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly
>> Graham

> thanks for all that. Everything sounds wonderful
> Janet US

Small pieces of pork belly are available here but it is always salted. I
bought some that the "butcher" assured me was not salted and confit'd it
but it was inedible as it *had been salted*!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 10:16:34 -0600, Janet B >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:
>
>>I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>>but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>>but I don't know what people do with it.
>>
>>Ideas?
>>
>>nancy

>I also saw it at Costco and it looked good. Don't know what to do
>with it.
>Janet US

I wish they had it at mine. I was there yesterday and actually looked,
as I had seen a couple of recipes the past week.

This is not a breeze and I have not tried it, but I have had it at
Momofuku and it is to die for.

http://luckypeach.com/recipes/momofuku-pork-belly/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2016 11:02 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> They are nice looking packages.

Your woman abuse is as grotesque, unprovoked, and ugly as anything
anyone in this medium has ever done.

You are a pathological woman-hater and a deeply disturbed and wounded
little man:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
off-topic subjects.

-sw

Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.

-sw

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
off-topic subjects.

-sw

Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.

-sw

I didn't think Julie was even capable of using the phone.

-sw

You seem to have a problem remembering things. Maybe you should have
written down the once you realized you liked it.

-sw

Wow. She catches on quick when her mind isn't clouded by irrational
spite.

-sw

Congratulations! Your post has been approved by Julie.

[High Five]

-sw

Yeah, I see tuna and cheddar on pizza every time I visit Planet Bove.

-sw

You can't rent this stuff at Red Box.

-sw

You tell him Julie!

<snort>

-sw

That wasn't your original argument. Your argument was that you
couldn't remember where you got them. Then when somebody tells you
how to solve that problem, you come up with a different argument to
explain why the proposed solution won't work.

Same 'ol song and dance.

-sw

<snip rest unread>

-sw

So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
have been your direct experience with the New York public school
system in the early 2000's?

-sw

What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy
world.

-sw

Again, only in YOUR house.

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 8:44:31 AM UTC-4, Nancy Young wrote:
> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
> but I don't know what people do with it.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

Pork belly is used by the Chinese in a dish generically known as twice cooked pork. Quite delicious although very fatty. It should be available at a Chinese grocers.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 2:44:31 AM UTC-10, Nancy Young wrote:
> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
> but I don't know what people do with it.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

I'd make shoyu pork with it. Usually, I'll make shoyu pork with pork butt because it's half the price of pork belly. Pork belly, however, is choice stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7Ohmr5BD0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
> but I don't know what people do with it.
>
> Ideas?

Go to Pinterest or Google Images and type in "pork belly recipes" and
you'll find everything from banh mi sandwiches to tacos.
http://www.lacrema.com/pork-belly-banh-mi-sandwiches/
http://sharedappetite.com/recipes/po...e-and-avocado/
I would look for one that is more meat than fat though.

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 09:34:46 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 3/20/2016 9:04 AM, graham wrote:
> > On 20/03/2016 6:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> >> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
> >> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
> >> but I don't know what people do with it.
> >>
> >> Ideas?

> > Assuming it's not salted, try making a confit of it. I had some in a
> > French restaurant that had been prepared that way and then sautéed to
> > brown it off. Damn, it was good! Otherwise, long slow roasting to
> > render the fat seems to be the order of the day. It has been a
> > fashionable cut for a while in the UK. There are numerous recipes he
> > http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/re...ery=pork+belly

> Thanks very much! I know it's been all the rage in restaurants
> for a while, but I've never come across it, myself. Guess I don't
> hang out at the right places.

I've only eaten it once and that was on a cruise. It was good!

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/ja...xclusive-pork-
> 789242

Looks like I'm going to be there again this week, so I will likely
pick up a package unless it's $50 or something. Thanks for the
recipe.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 08:44:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>but I don't know what people do with it.
>
>Ideas?
>
>nancy

Here's one thing I do with it.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...soy-sauce.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/qe4agck

Here's a recipe I've saved but haven't tried yet.

NOODLES IN DASHI WITH MISO-COATED PORK BELLY

YIELD 6 servings TOTAL TIME 1 hour CATEGORIES asian, soups
INGREDIENTSSubmit

For the Dashi (makes 4 1/2 cups)
1/4 oz. kombu
1 oz. bonito flakes
For the Pork Belly and Noodles
1 lb. skinless pork belly, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup red miso paste
3 tbsp. awamori rice liqueur
3 tbsp. mirin
1 1/2 tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
4 cups Dashi
5 oz. mung bean sprouts
9 oz. somen noodles
4 scallions, thinly sliced
Angel hair chile threads, to garnish
INSTRUCTIONSSubmit

Make the dashi: In a small saucepan, combine kombu with 5 cups water
and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat, discard kombu, and stir in
bonito flakes. Let the dashi stand for 5 minutes, then pour through a
fine sieve into a bowl and discard the bonito flakes. Let the dashi
cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 3 days or until
ready to use.
For the pork belly: Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium. Add the pork
belly and 1 tablespoon water and cook, stirring, until the fat renders
and the pork is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Using a slotted spoon,
transfer the pork to a paper towel-lined plate and wipe the skillet
clean.
In a medium bowl, toss the cooked pork with the miso, awamori, mirin,
sugar, and 3 tablespoons water until evenly coated. Scrape the pork
and sauce into the skillet, return it to medium heat, and cook,
stirring, until the liquid reduces and the pork becomes sticky, about
10 minutes. Stir in the sesame seeds and remove the skillet from the
heat. Meanwhile, heat the dashi in a small saucepan over low and keep
warm.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the mung beans and
cook for 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sprouts and
transfer to paper towels to drain. Add the noodles to the boiling
water and cook until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the noodles and
divide them evenly among 6 serving bowls. Divide the dashi and mung
beans among the bowls and top with the pork, scallions, and chile
threads.

koko

James Beard
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:40:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 16:11:07 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 3/20/2016 2:01 PM, Janet wrote:
>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> I make this Jamie Oliver recipe

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/ja...xclusive-pork-
>>> 789242

>That recipe relies on a skin-on pork belly for it's cracklin crust.
>The ones at Costco are skinless.
>
>> Looks like I'm going to be there again this week, so I will likely
>> pick up a package unless it's $50 or something. Thanks for the
>> recipe.

>The price fluctuates between $2.29 and $2.69lb (around here) and they
>weigh around 9-10 pounds.
>
>-sw

Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
was so the crackling would be even better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
> what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
> have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
> was so the crackling would be even better.

Agreed!

I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and he
proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!

I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:28:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
>> what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
>> have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
>> was so the crackling would be even better.

>Agreed!
>
>I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and he
>proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>
>I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

Craft knife lol - that's what I use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .

>> Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
>> what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
>> have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
>> was so the crackling would be even better.

>Agreed!
>
>I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and he
>proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>
>I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

I do sometimes buy the pork belly strips one sees in the supermarkets
here and use a Chinese friends recipe. It's delicious, in spite of
the fact that like you, I don't generally go for heavy spicing. You
can leave it as long as you like between wokking, so it's not really
as time consuming as the recipe may look. Served with plain rice,
delish.

Pkt of porkbelly

Goodly amount of frying oil in the wok

Cornflour
Egg
Thai Sauce
Ketchup
Salt

Cut the porkbelly into small pieces. Heat the oil in the wok until
quite hot. Quickly brown the pieces in the oil in small proportions.

Drain and cool.

Mix the sauce ingredients together and dip the pork pieces in it.

Refry and then put to drain on wax paper.

When ready to serve, quickly refry yet again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:28:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
>>> what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
>>> have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
>>> was so the crackling would be even better.

>>Agreed!
>>
>>I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and
>>he
>>proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>>
>>I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

> Craft knife lol - that's what I use.

Ahh I remembered 'Jaccard'!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:28:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..

>>> Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
>>> what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
>>> have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
>>> was so the crackling would be even better.

>>Agreed!
>>
>>I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and
>>he
>>proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>>
>>I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

> I do sometimes buy the pork belly strips one sees in the supermarkets
> here and use a Chinese friends recipe. It's delicious, in spite of
> the fact that like you, I don't generally go for heavy spicing. You
> can leave it as long as you like between wokking, so it's not really
> as time consuming as the recipe may look. Served with plain rice,
> delish.
>
> Pkt of porkbelly
>
> Goodly amount of frying oil in the wok
>
> Cornflour
> Egg
> Thai Sauce
> Ketchup
> Salt
>
> Cut the porkbelly into small pieces. Heat the oil in the wok until
> quite hot. Quickly brown the pieces in the oil in small proportions.
>
> Drain and cool.
>
> Mix the sauce ingredients together and dip the pork pieces in it.
>
> Refry and then put to drain on wax paper.
>
> When ready to serve, quickly refry yet again.

The only thing I buy those strips for is to add the fat to lean sausage
meat.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

"Care to see my etchings, luv...???"

;-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/03/2016 4:57 AM, wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:40:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

says...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/ja...xclusive-pork-

>> That recipe relies on a skin-on pork belly for it's cracklin crust.
>> The ones at Costco are skinless.
>>
>>> Looks like I'm going to be there again this week, so I will likely
>>> pick up a package unless it's $50 or something. Thanks for the
>>> recipe.

>> The price fluctuates between $2.29 and $2.69lb (around here) and they
>> weigh around 9-10 pounds.
>>
>> -sw

> Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
> what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
> have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
> was so the crackling would be even better.

All the pork in the SMs here is skinless. I was told that that's the way
it arrives from the packers. I did find some in a Vietnamese meat market
once but the shop ran into hygiene problems and the owners have been
charged with running a drugs racket and money laundering:-)
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
> > what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
> > have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
> > was so the crackling would be even better.

> Agreed!
>
> I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and he
> proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>
> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

Jaccard tenderizer?

--

sf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

> "Care to see my etchings, luv...???"
>
> ;-)

*Thwap* No luv but I will use my Jaccard on you ... ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:28:12 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
>> > what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
>> > have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
>> > was so the crackling would be even better.

>> Agreed!
>>
>> I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and
>> he
>> proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>>
>> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

> Jaccard tenderizer?

Yes)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2016 8:40 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> [...]

explain why the proposed solution won't work.

Same 'ol song and dance.

-sw

<snip rest unread>

-sw

So WTF are you basing your unfounded theories on? Angela was about 3
years old and you had left grade school decades earlier. What would
have been your direct experience with the New York public school
system in the early 2000's?

-sw

What I'm trying to say is that Julie is full of shit again. It's
amazing how much time Julie spends describing her miserable fantasy
world.

-sw

Again, only in YOUR house.

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 1:29:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> > Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
> > what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
> > have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
> > was so the crackling would be even better.

> Agreed!
>
> I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and he
> proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>
> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The Chinese will many poke holes in the skin with bamboo skewers. The less patient Chinese will use a bundle of skewers. I guess that's where the "death of a thousand cuts" comes from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

> > "Care to see my etchings, luv...???"
> >
> > ;-)

> *Thwap* No luv but I will use my Jaccard on you ... ;-)

8-P

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.usenet.kooks

Default Nancy talks about her "pork belly."

On 3/20/2016 5:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
> but I don't know what people do with it.
>
> Ideas?
>
> nancy

Y'know, sometimes when I look in the mirror, I swear I, too, have grown
a "pork" belly.
Wot about that.
It also makes tying ones shoes difficult, so I have considered, of late,
a pair of slip-ons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
> > what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
> > have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
> > was so the crackling would be even better.

> Agreed!
>
> I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and he
> proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>
> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.

Jaccard tenderizer?

--

sf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gregory Morrow" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote:

>> > "Care to see my etchings, luv...???"
>> >
>> > ;-)

>> *Thwap* No luv but I will use my Jaccard on you ... ;-)

> 8-P

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, March 21, 2016 at 1:29:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > Didn't cross my mind you could buy skinless pork belly! To me that's
>> > what pork belly is - the purveyor of loads of crackling! Nancy must
>> > have wondered why I left it uncovered overnight in the fridge, that
>> > was so the crackling would be even better.

>> Agreed!
>>
>> I bought some the other week in Ripon. I chose a piece from display and
>> he
>> proceeded to score it!! I politely informed him I didn't want it scored!
>>
>> I like to use my .. um .. thingy with all the wee blades.
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> The Chinese will many poke holes in the skin with bamboo skewers. The less
> patient Chinese will use a bundle of skewers. I guess that's where the
> "death of a thousand cuts" comes from.

I imagine so)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.usenet.kooks

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:45:18 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" > wrote:
>On 3/20/2016 5:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>
>> nancy

>Y'know, sometimes when I look in the mirror, I swear I, too, have grown
>a "pork" belly.
>Wot about that.
>It also makes tying ones shoes difficult, so I have considered, of late,
>a pair of slip-ons.

That's all well and good but I'd rather hear about Homeless Lisa.

--
Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

"It is my erudite opinion that a man
should not mince words just to spare
the sensibilities of the ignorant or
the thin-skinned."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/16 12:16 PM, Janet B wrote:

> I also saw it at Costco and it looked good. Don't know what to do
> with it.

Braise it for 4 to 48 hours. Drain, blot, cut into rectangular solids,
and sear on ultra-hot cast iron right before serving. Pieces 4" x 2" x
1" per individual are more than most people can eat.

Our intro to pork belly was done this way (the full 48 hours) at a
restaurant named Laurie Raphael in Quebec City, and it was one of the
best meals we've ever had. We've replicated it at home many times.

We had an identical dish last week at The Pig, in Washington DC, but
their braise was only 8 hours. It was still wonderful.

Kick it up a notch right before serving by brushing on something like
Frank's Sweet Chili Sauce. Yumm!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.driving,alt.usenet.kooks

On 3/21/2016 2:13 PM, Sir Gregory Hall, Esq. wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 09:45:18 -0700, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke" > wrote:
>> On 3/20/2016 5:44 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>> I've never seen it at the store ... never looked for it, either ...
>>> but there it was at Costco, a big package of it. Looked good,
>>> but I don't know what people do with it.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>>
>>> nancy

>> Y'know, sometimes when I look in the mirror, I swear I, too, have grown
>> a "pork" belly.
>> Wot about that.
>> It also makes tying ones shoes difficult, so I have considered, of late,
>> a pair of slip-ons.

> That's all well and good but I'd rather hear about Homeless Lisa.

Hey, Greg. She just up and disappeared. I miss her as well.
Hope she reappears one day soon. I'm old now and don't know how much
longer an old warhorse like me can hang on.

Pork Belly [email protected] General Cooking 28 22-12-2014 10:08 PM
Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork) Sqwertz General Cooking 36 11-05-2010 03:53 PM
Wine with pork belly DaleW Wine 8 16-11-2007 05:12 AM
Pork Belly jim General Cooking 7 03-12-2005 01:16 AM