Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Belly

It caught my eye at the Asian market Friday, so ...

Dinner: Pork bellies slathered with two parts ssamjang and one part
honey, baked until skin crisp, with lettuce, homemade kimchi, and
plain white rice.

Breakfast: Leftover pork belly cut into strips and fried until
chewy/crisp, eggs over easy, rice, scallions and Korean pepper
flakes. As good as bacon, just a different flavor.

<http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Silvar_Beitel/media/RFC/Pork%20Belly/IMG_0668_1_zpscc763604.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0>

(7 photos)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 22, 2014 2:31:55 AM UTC+10, wrote:
> It caught my eye at the Asian market Friday, so ...

I'll usually red-cook it (e.g., Dong Po pork). Last week, I made a tasty pork belly and potato stew while camping, red-cooked pork belly with added potatoes and onion.

I like zhajiangmian (the Chinese ancestor of jjajangmyeon), with matchstick-cut pork belly. Only cooked it a few times, though.

My wife will usually do samgyeopsal if she cooks pork belly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 6:31:55 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> It caught my eye at the Asian market Friday, so ...
>
> Dinner: Pork bellies slathered with two parts ssamjang and one part
> honey, baked until skin crisp, with lettuce, homemade kimchi, and
> plain white rice.
>
> Breakfast: Leftover pork belly cut into strips and fried until
> chewy/crisp, eggs over easy, rice, scallions and Korean pepper
> flakes. As good as bacon, just a different flavor.
>
> <http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Silvar_Beitel/media/RFC/Pork%20Belly/IMG_0668_1_zpscc763604.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0>
>
> (7 photos)
>
> --
> Silvar Beitel

That looks pretty good. My wife would like that. What's popular over here is Chinese roast pork which uses pork belly. They go through a long involved process of putting many holes through the skin to insure crispiness. They're so anal about that crispy skin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6xswgiIyA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I love pork belly - I leave it in the fridge overnight then score the
>>> skin well and rub in coarse salt. It then crunches right up. If one
>>> loves crackling, this is the best cut of meat for that.
>>>

>> I tried to do a confit of pork belly. Most of it in the s/m is salted so
>> I specifically asked for uncured. I prepared and cooked it as one does
>> for goose or duck confit but it was inedible. They'd sold me the cured
>> stuff!
>> Graham

> Yes I was referring to pork belly with nothing done to it bar leaving
> the skin on, not stripped a la stupidmarket. Needs to be a long,
> very slow cook so much of the fat runs off. Really just a vehicle for
> crackling

I was trying to copy a dish of seared confit of pork belly that I'd
eaten in a French restaurant in Lavenham (UK). It was one of those
memorable dishes that stand out.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What is the difference between pork belly and unsliced bacon? Sorry, I really don't
know...it always looks like a huge chunk of pork fat, which makes me think,"gag!"

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:45:54 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:12:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 21, 2014 6:31:55 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> It caught my eye at the Asian market Friday, so ...
> >>
> >> Dinner: Pork bellies slathered with two parts ssamjang and one part
> >> honey, baked until skin crisp, with lettuce, homemade kimchi, and
> >> plain white rice.
> >>
> >> Breakfast: Leftover pork belly cut into strips and fried until
> >> chewy/crisp, eggs over easy, rice, scallions and Korean pepper
> >> flakes. As good as bacon, just a different flavor.
> >>
> >> <http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Silvar_Beitel/media/RFC/Pork%20Belly/IMG_0668_1_zpscc763604.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0>
> >>
> >> (7 photos)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Silvar Beitel

> >That looks pretty good. My wife would like that. What's popular over here is Chinese roast pork which uses pork belly. They go through a long involved process of putting many holes through the skin to insure crispiness. They're so anal about that crispy skin!
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6xswgiIyA

> Treating all same as Peking Duck, exposing the skin overnight in the
> fridge does wonders for crisping it up.

I leave roasts and poultry in the refrigerator to dry it out some - if I got the time. This even works with steaks. Sometimes I leave it in there too long. I wish I could blow up pork belly like duck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kVnU9NCUI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/21/2014 6:23 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> What is the difference between pork belly and unsliced bacon? Sorry, I really don't
> know...it always looks like a huge chunk of pork fat, which makes me think,"gag!"
>
> N.

Bacon is made from pork bellies. It is not cured or smoked when sold as
a belly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 21, 2014 2:58:26 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 15:53:28 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:45:54 PM UTC-10, wrote:

> >> Treating all same as Peking Duck, exposing the skin overnight in the
> >> fridge does wonders for crisping it up.

> >I leave roasts and poultry in the refrigerator to dry it out some - if I got the time. This even works with steaks. Sometimes I leave it in there too long. I wish I could blow up pork belly like duck.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kVnU9NCUI

> If you want it to crisp, no need to blow it up, same with duck,
> overnight in the fridge uncovered.
>
> What was that cook using, a vacuum cleaner ?

It's an air compressor. Typically the old Chinese cook would get a whole duck, strip the feathers off, blanch the skin with hot water, cut a hole in the neck skin, and use a straw to inflate the duck by mouth. Doing this on a whole duck is easier to do than one that has been gutted. After blowing up the duck, it's gutted, and glazed with a sugar syrup and allowed to dry for a day or so. Like I said, the Chinese are anal about crispy skin. God bless 'em!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 21, 2014 6:31:55 AM UTC-10,
> wrote:
>> It caught my eye at the Asian market Friday, so ...
>>
>> Dinner: Pork bellies slathered with two parts ssamjang and one part
>> honey, baked until skin crisp, with lettuce, homemade kimchi, and
>> plain white rice.
>>
>> Breakfast: Leftover pork belly cut into strips and fried until
>> chewy/crisp, eggs over easy, rice, scallions and Korean pepper
>> flakes. As good as bacon, just a different flavor.
>>
>> <http://s1196.photobucket.com/user/Silvar_Beitel/media/RFC/Pork%20Belly/IMG_0668_1_zpscc763604.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0>
>>
>> (7 photos)
>>
>> --
>> Silvar Beitel

> That looks pretty good. My wife would like that. What's popular over here
> is Chinese roast pork which uses pork belly. They go through a long
> involved process of putting many holes through the skin to insure
> crispiness. They're so anal about that crispy skin!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6xswgiIyA

Thats skin looks wonderful .. but, but, but they were touching the meat with
no gloves on ... ;-)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:45:54 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:12:21 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:

>> >That looks pretty good. My wife would like that. What's popular over
>> >here is Chinese roast pork which uses pork belly. They go through a long
>> >involved process of putting many holes through the skin to insure
>> >crispiness. They're so anal about that crispy skin!
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6xswgiIyA

>> Treating all same as Peking Duck, exposing the skin overnight in the
>> fridge does wonders for crisping it up.

> I leave roasts and poultry in the refrigerator to dry it out some - if I
> got the time. This even works with steaks. Sometimes I leave it in there
> too long. I wish I could blow up pork belly like duck.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kVnU9NCUI

What is the advantage of blowing it up?
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 21, 2014 2:58:26 PM UTC-10, wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 15:53:28 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
>> wrote:

>> >I leave roasts and poultry in the refrigerator to dry it out some - if I
>> >got the time. This even works with steaks. Sometimes I leave it in there
>> >too long. I wish I could blow up pork belly like duck.
>> >
>> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kVnU9NCUI

>> If you want it to crisp, no need to blow it up, same with duck,
>> overnight in the fridge uncovered.
>>
>> What was that cook using, a vacuum cleaner ?

> It's an air compressor. Typically the old Chinese cook would get a whole
> duck, strip the feathers off, blanch the skin with hot water, cut a hole
> in the neck skin, and use a straw to inflate the duck by mouth. Doing this
> on a whole duck is easier to do than one that has been gutted. After
> blowing up the duck, it's gutted, and glazed with a sugar syrup and
> allowed to dry for a day or so. Like I said, the Chinese are anal about
> crispy skin. God bless 'em!

Thank you. Please ignore my last question
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:21:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> That looks pretty good. My wife would like that. What's popular over
>>> here
>>> is Chinese roast pork which uses pork belly. They go through a long
>>> involved process of putting many holes through the skin to insure
>>> crispiness. They're so anal about that crispy skin!
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr6xswgiIyA

>>Thats skin looks wonderful .. but, but, but they were touching the meat
>>with
>>no gloves on ... ;-)

> Wouldn't matter, it's cooked.

<g>
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:25:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> I leave roasts and poultry in the refrigerator to dry it out some - if I
>>> got the time. This even works with steaks. Sometimes I leave it in there
>>> too long. I wish I could blow up pork belly like duck.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kVnU9NCUI

>>What is the advantage of blowing it up?

> Lol more crispy skin, particularly Peking Duck where basically it is
> the skin they serve, followed by duck meat with rice and all preceded
> by duck soup. One duck, three courses.

Ahh!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:21:03 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>Thats skin looks wonderful .. but, but, but they were touching the meat
>>>with
>>>no gloves on ... ;-)

>> Wouldn't matter, it's cooked.

> <g>

I was joking though, the glove thing can be tricky.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 22, 2014 3:37:43 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:25:18 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

> >> I leave roasts and poultry in the refrigerator to dry it out some - if I
> >> got the time. This even works with steaks. Sometimes I leave it in there
> >> too long. I wish I could blow up pork belly like duck.
> >>
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49kVnU9NCUI

> >What is the advantage of blowing it up?

> Lol more crispy skin, particularly Peking Duck where basically it is
> the skin they serve, followed by duck meat with rice and all preceded
> by duck soup. One duck, three courses.

Over here, we don't get the duck soup. Peking duck is great stuff but I don't care much for duck meat. I don't think I've ever seen duck soup. Sounds interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3rjDb8qeU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 22, 2014 10:12:35 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 09:19:55 -0800 (PST), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> >On Monday, December 22, 2014 3:37:43 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> >> On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:25:18 -0000, "Ophelia"

> >> Lol more crispy skin, particularly Peking Duck where basically it is
> >> the skin they serve, followed by duck meat with rice and all preceded
> >> by duck soup. One duck, three courses.

> >Over here, we don't get the duck soup. Peking duck is great stuff but I don't care much for duck meat. I don't think I've ever seen duck soup. Sounds interesting.
> >
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3rjDb8qeU

> Rather like soup for won ton, except duck flavoured and with duck
> bones and meat in it. A clear soup.

Sounds good! I could go for a steaming bowl of won ton soup but all I got is won ton backwards - not now! I'll ask my Chinese friend about duck soup. It shouldn't be to hard to make - my guess it'll be duck soup to make. :-)

Pork belly Nancy Young[_8_] General Cooking 55 01-04-2016 04:59 PM
Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork) Sqwertz General Cooking 36 11-05-2010 03:53 PM
Wine with pork belly DaleW Wine 8 16-11-2007 04:12 AM
Pork Belly jim General Cooking 7 03-12-2005 12:16 AM