Old 09-05-2010, 06:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork)

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote

I've got 16 pictures of belly, but not time to post them properly.
Some cured, some smoked, some both. And some sashimi (?). Remind
me tomorrow if you're still interested. I'm going to bed after a
chocolate covered cherry (or three).

Heheh Interested in the sashimi! I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
restraunt. Utterly simple yet divine.

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
(These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
in the very bottom right?
http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

Smoked and sliced:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
asparagus:
http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg

And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg

I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
salmon.

-sw

Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Heheh Interested in the sashimi! I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a
Russian
restraunt. Utterly simple yet divine.

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once long
ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
(These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

Yup. They sell them here too.

Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
in the very bottom right?
http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Snicker

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last time
we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
curry mix added.

And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg

I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
salmon.

Hehehe. Thats ok! Looks lovely.

I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
dishes.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Funny. ;-)

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?
I love to purchase their pig legs and let them split them into hocks and
trotters for me. I need to get more, smoke the hocks and make lentils
or split peas with them. Heaven knows they are cheap enough.

Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
(These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

They look like it. :-)

These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

I need to try more of their pork products. I've never
been really big on pork, but it is less expensive than beef
and I can make it tasty now that I've a better stocked spice
cabinet due to my sausage making spree. IMHO pork really
benefits from lots of garlic.

Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
in the very bottom right?
http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Hope you did something useful with that. g

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

Smoked and sliced:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
asparagus:
http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg

Nice. ;-d Where's mine?

And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg

I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
salmon.

-sw

Ah sashimi! Where's the rice? :-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Belly Pasts

On Sun, 9 May 2010 14:12:47 -0400, cshenk wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

That wasn't aimed at you. That was for all my detractors that say I
never post anything food-related when that's far from the truth.
Just one of my posts top a whole month's worth of posts from some of
them.

"Cesspool thread"? I probably skipped it with a subject like that.

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once long
ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

It's on Wiki as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku
But refers to beef short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) in Japan. These are the
almost the equivalent of pork short ribs, but not from the "chuck"
of the pig.

"The word karubi (Japanese pronunciation of galbi), when used in
Japan, solely refers to beef short rib, and is not used to refer to
similar meat in other animals as they are in Korea, such as Dwaeji
galbi (돼지갈비 pork galbi) or Dakk galbi (*갈비 chicken galbi)."

(Note for Cathy: requires Korean and Japanese character sets to be
installed on your computer otherwise you see garbage)

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last time
we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
curry mix added.

I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
slight sugar, salt, pepper:

http://i39.tinypic.com/op7pzp.jpg
(Pictured on top of the trash can in my driveway, for Andy)

I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
dishes.

If you need a binary server to post to ABF and such, just let me
know. I have a few to share.

-sw
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:26:10 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?

Certain HEB's sell them between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't
ask me why - maybe there's a Korean holiday in there somewhere.

Smoked and sliced:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

Probably pecan in a ECBG (Wood-burning Brinkmann Gourmet)

-sw

Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?

Certain HEB's sell them between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't
ask me why - maybe there's a Korean holiday in there somewhere.

Likely. HEB's marketing dept. seems to always be on the ball.
I'll watch for them, thanks!

Smoked and sliced:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

Probably pecan in a ECBG (Wood-burning Brinkmann Gourmet)

-sw

Nice. Right now I still have plenty of oak and mesquite, but lost two
very large branches off of the giant Hackberry out front yesterday. Bad
enough I had to shell out to a tree service. My shoulders are too
screwed up right now to handle the chainsaw myself. sigh

That main shade branch that shaded the entire South side of the house
broke off and was 12" across at the base. It literally filled the
entire front yard. I had to cut a few small branches with pruners just
to open the front gate.

Some people don't like to grill or BBQ with Hackberry, but I don't have
a problem with it. Now I have a huge pile stacked and curing out front
next to the pit!

I have more wood available than I know what to do with. No need to
purchase charcoal...

I paid the tree service enough to cut the branches to size for the New
Braunfels pit fire box.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , "cshenk"
wrote:

I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
dishes.

You should. :-) I subscribe to giganews and am currently using MT
newswatcher, but just downloaded Thunderbird into my new laptop and will
explore that as soon as I install the newsgroups to it. Have not done
it yet.

I do the pic processing on the mac' so would have to mail them to the
laptop before I could upload them to a.b.f. Photoshop CS I have is a
mac program so not compatible with the new PC.
--
Peace! Om

Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?

Certain HEB's sell them between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't
ask me why - maybe there's a Korean holiday in there somewhere.

There's a major Korean holiday (Chusok) about a month earlier, but I'm not
aware of any Korean holiday at that time.

Chusok's date is set by the lunar calendar, so it varies from year to year,
but it's usually in late September or early October. This year it starts on
September 22. (It's a three-day holiday.)

Looking at Austin demographics, I thought maybe there was a Vietnamese
holiday at the time of year you mentioned, but the closest one is Tet -- and
it has exactly the same dates as Chusok.

Maybe there's some minor holiday which celebrates by cooking Karubi ribs,
the way corned beef is cooked for St. Patrick's Day.

Thinking about it, "Karubi" looks like it might be a nipponization of
"Kalbi." There's a Japanese holiday on November 3 and another one on
November 23; maybe that's the group toward whom those "ribs" are being
marketed.

Bob

Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 1:38*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:
"Sqwertz" wrote

I've got 16 pictures of belly, but not time to post them properly.
Some cured, some smoked, some both. *And some sashimi (?). *Remind
me tomorrow if you're still interested. *I'm going to bed after a
chocolate covered cherry (or three).

Heheh Interested in the sashimi! *I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
restraunt. *Utterly simple yet divine.

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

trading pork bellies futures?....lol...i wouldn't. the market's way
too thin. not much trade anymore.

Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpght...om/103eibc.jpg

in the very bottom right?http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpghtt...swvck3.jpg(for Sheldon)

Old 09-05-2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 3:51*pm, A Moose In Love wrote:
On May 9, 1:38*pm, Sqwertz wrote:

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:
"Sqwertz" wrote

I've got 16 pictures of belly, but not time to post them properly.
Some cured, some smoked, some both. *And some sashimi (?). *Remind
me tomorrow if you're still interested. *I'm going to bed after a
chocolate covered cherry (or three).

Heheh Interested in the sashimi! *I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
restraunt. *Utterly simple yet divine.

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

trading pork bellies futures?....lol...i wouldn't. *the market's way
too thin. *not much trade anymore.

looky he frozen pork belly futures; hardly 50 contracts being
traded per day:
http://futuresource.quote.com/charts...%281%2C1%29%3B

looky he lean hogs futures; 20,000 contracts being traded per day;
notice the decline in volume and open interest; that's because the
chart is trading month sensitive and is showing specific contract
information instead of total contract information
http://futuresource.quote.com/charts...%281%2C1%29%3B

snip

Old 09-05-2010, 10:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

That wasn't aimed at you. That was for all my detractors that say I
never post anything food-related when that's far from the truth.
Just one of my posts top a whole month's worth of posts from some of
them.

Snickeer, no problem either way!

"Cesspool thread"? I probably skipped it with a subject like that.

Like so many, it morfed. As I came in, it was a diatribe on someone elses
posted recipes. They'd peeled out selected ingredients from some 100 or
more then trashed the site. I came back with a subset of them used by the
lactose intolerant or folks who need to limit cholestrol. Morfed shortly
into recipes and how to teach cooking to new folks to it.

Just now it's on about mushroom types and simple recipes.

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once
long
ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

It's on Wiki as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku
But refers to beef short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) in Japan. These are the
almost the equivalent of pork short ribs, but not from the "chuck"
of the pig.

Humm, ok! Just called 'ribs' in Sasebo. 'Engrish useage' is pretty simple.
It's normally a phonetic 'close enough to be usable'. I've now lost due to
lack of use, much of my ersatz 'cooking Japanese' words but they would come
back fast there.

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last
time
we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
curry mix added.

I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
slight sugar, salt, pepper:

Humm, looks to have some paprika and possibly annato there? The sugar may
be the brown sugar looking bits? That would have lead to the nice glaze
look at finish.

I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
dishes.

If you need a binary server to post to ABF and such, just let me
know. I have a few to share.

Thanks! Mostly I need to get off my butt and get the right cable for the
camera then start taking pics.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 17:53:13 -0400, cshenk wrote:

"Sqwertz" wrote

I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
slight sugar, salt, pepper:

Humm, looks to have some paprika and possibly annato there? The sugar may
be the brown sugar looking bits? That would have lead to the nice glaze
look at finish.

Yeah - there was paprika. That was back when I made my Generic
spice rub a pound at a time and stored it in a Vitamin Water bottle.
It had the basic ingredients I used for most smokes, then I would
add custom spices based on what was cookingf (thyme, coriander,
rosemary, cumin, etc ...)

Thanks! Mostly I need to get off my butt and get the right cable for the
camera then start taking pics.

I lost my cable as well. So I just bought one of those 7 in 1 card
readers that reads both cellphone cards and all my SD cards. Then
somebody stole my camera (I think). Last seen on the kitchen
counter before the refrigerator was delivered.

-sw
Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 12:57:15 -0700 (PDT), A Moose In Love wrote:

looky he
looky he

Lookie Here!

Google-plonk

Nice meeting you.

-sw
Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

That sux. Did you call the delivery company?

My new camera was not compatible with the mac, so I also bought a card
reader. Problem solved. I just pop the card out of the camera, plug the
card reader into my USB hub and stick the memory card into the reader.

Problem solved. ;-)

Old 10-05-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 19:32:36 -0500, Omelet wrote:

My new camera was not compatible with the mac

It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

-sw