Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Belly Pasts (was: Fresh Side Pork)

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>> I've got 16 pictures of belly, but not time to post them properly.
>> Some cured, some smoked, some both. And some sashimi (?). Remind
>> me tomorrow if you're still interested. I'm going to bed after a
>> chocolate covered cherry (or three).

> Heheh Interested in the sashimi! I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
> restraunt. Utterly simple yet divine.

Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
"Karubi Ribs"?
http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
(These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
in the very bottom right?
http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Smoked:
http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

Smoked and sliced:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
asparagus:
http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg

And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg

I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
salmon.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Heheh Interested in the sashimi! I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a
>> Russian
>> restraunt. Utterly simple yet divine.

> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
> "Karubi Ribs"?
> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once long
ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

> Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
> http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
> (These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)
>
> These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
> http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

Yup. They sell them here too.

> Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
> in the very bottom right?
> http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
> http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Snicker

> Smoked:
> http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last time
we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
curry mix added.

> And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
> http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg

> I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
> and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
> salmon.

Hehehe. Thats ok! Looks lovely.

I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
dishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

Funny. ;-)

> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
> "Karubi Ribs"?
> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?
I love to purchase their pig legs and let them split them into hocks and
trotters for me. I need to get more, smoke the hocks and make lentils
or split peas with them. Heaven knows they are cheap enough.

> Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.
> http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpg
> http://i39.tinypic.com/103eibc.jpg
> (These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)

They look like it. :-)

> These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:
> http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg

I need to try more of their pork products. I've never
been really big on pork, but it is less expensive than beef
and I can make it tasty now that I've a better stocked spice
cabinet due to my sausage making spree. IMHO pork really
benefits from lots of garlic.

> Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. See that...uh [blushing] thing
> in the very bottom right?
> http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpg
> http://i40.tinypic.com/swvck3.jpg (for Sheldon)

Hope you did something useful with that. <g>

> Smoked:
> http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg
>
> Smoked and sliced:
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

> Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
> asparagus:
> http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg

Nice. ;-d Where's mine?

> And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)
> http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg
>
> I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
> and not pork belly. It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
> salmon.
>
> -sw

Ah sashimi! Where's the rice? :-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pork Belly Pasts

On Sun, 9 May 2010 14:12:47 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
>> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

> Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
> thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

That wasn't aimed at you. That was for all my detractors that say I
never post anything food-related when that's far from the truth.
Just one of my posts top a whole month's worth of posts from some of
them.

"Cesspool thread"? I probably skipped it with a subject like that.

>> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
>> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
>> "Karubi Ribs"?
>> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

> No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once long
> ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

It's on Wiki as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku
But refers to beef short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) in Japan. These are the
almost the equivalent of pork short ribs, but not from the "chuck"
of the pig.

"The word karubi (Japanese pronunciation of galbi), when used in
Japan, solely refers to beef short rib, and is not used to refer to
similar meat in other animals as they are in Korea, such as Dwaeji
galbi (돼지갈비 pork galbi) or Dakk galbi (*갈비 chicken galbi)."

(Note for Cathy: requires Korean and Japanese character sets to be
installed on your computer otherwise you see garbage)

>> Smoked:
>> http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

> AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last time
> we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
> curry mix added.

I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
slight sugar, salt, pepper:

http://i39.tinypic.com/op7pzp.jpg
(Pictured on top of the trash can in my driveway, for Andy)

> I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
> dishes.

If you need a binary server to post to ABF and such, just let me
know. I have a few to share.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:26:10 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
>> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
>> "Karubi Ribs"?
>> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

> No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?

Certain HEB's sell them between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't
ask me why - maybe there's a Korean holiday in there somewhere.

>> Smoked and sliced:
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

> Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

Probably pecan in a ECBG (Wood-burning Brinkmann Gourmet)

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:26:10 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
> >> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
> >> "Karubi Ribs"?
> >> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

> > No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?

> Certain HEB's sell them between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't
> ask me why - maybe there's a Korean holiday in there somewhere.

Likely. HEB's marketing dept. seems to always be on the ball.
I'll watch for them, thanks!

> >> Smoked and sliced:
> >> http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg

> > Oh wow. What'd you use to smoke it?

> Probably pecan in a ECBG (Wood-burning Brinkmann Gourmet)
>
> -sw

Nice. Right now I still have plenty of oak and mesquite, but lost two
very large branches off of the giant Hackberry out front yesterday. Bad
enough I had to shell out to a tree service. My shoulders are too
screwed up right now to handle the chainsaw myself. <sigh>

That main shade branch that shaded the entire South side of the house
broke off and was 12" across at the base. It literally filled the
entire front yard. I had to cut a few small branches with pruners just
to open the front gate.

Some people don't like to grill or BBQ with Hackberry, but I don't have
a problem with it. Now I have a huge pile stacked and curing out front
next to the pit!

I have more wood available than I know what to do with. No need to
purchase charcoal...

I paid the tree service enough to cut the branches to size for the New
Braunfels pit fire box.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cshenk" >
wrote:

> I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
> dishes.

You should. :-) I subscribe to giganews and am currently using MT
newswatcher, but just downloaded Thunderbird into my new laptop and will
explore that as soon as I install the newsgroups to it. Have not done
it yet.

I do the pic processing on the mac' so would have to mail them to the
laptop before I could upload them to a.b.f. Photoshop CS I have is a
mac program so not compatible with the new PC.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

>>> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
>>> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
>>> "Karubi Ribs"?
>>> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

>> No idea, but they look tasty. I presume those come from MT?

> Certain HEB's sell them between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Don't
> ask me why - maybe there's a Korean holiday in there somewhere.

There's a major Korean holiday (Chusok) about a month earlier, but I'm not
aware of any Korean holiday at that time.

Chusok's date is set by the lunar calendar, so it varies from year to year,
but it's usually in late September or early October. This year it starts on
September 22. (It's a three-day holiday.)

Looking at Austin demographics, I thought maybe there was a Vietnamese
holiday at the time of year you mentioned, but the closest one is Tet -- and
it has exactly the same dates as Chusok.

Maybe there's some minor holiday which celebrates by cooking Karubi ribs,
the way corned beef is cooked for St. Patrick's Day.

Thinking about it, "Karubi" looks like it might be a nipponization of
"Kalbi." There's a Japanese holiday on November 3 and another one on
November 23; maybe that's the group toward whom those "ribs" are being
marketed.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 1:38*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:
> > "Sqwertz" wrote

> >> I've got 16 pictures of belly, but not time to post them properly.
> >> Some cured, some smoked, some both. *And some sashimi (?). *Remind
> >> me tomorrow if you're still interested. *I'm going to bed after a
> >> chocolate covered cherry (or three).

> > Heheh Interested in the sashimi! *I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
> > restraunt. *Utterly simple yet divine.

> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

trading pork bellies futures?....lol...i wouldn't. the market's way
too thin. not much trade anymore.

> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
> sold as "Karubi Ribs". *Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
> "Karubi Ribs"?http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg
>
> Here are the same ribs, sliced cross section.http://i44.tinypic.com/122ep2r.jpght...om/103eibc.jpg
> (These were fantastic, so tender and juicy)
>
> These are skin-off whole slab sections from the Asian market:http://i43.tinypic.com/51okgl.jpg
>
> Hmm, I guess they're not skin off. *See that...uh [blushing] thing
> in the very bottom right?http://i40.tinypic.com/4lm248.jpghtt...swvck3.jpg(for Sheldon)
>
> Smoked:http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg
>
> Smoked and sliced:http://i41.tinypic.com/2n73xnp.jpg
>
> Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
> asparagus:http://i44.tinypic.com/j8mhq1.jpg
>
> And the picture you've been waiting for: (with apologies)http://i39.tinypic.com/21jby4i.jpg
>
> I just searched for "belly" and didn't notice it was salmon belly
> and not pork belly. *It's still some awesome-looking (and tasting)
> salmon.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 9, 3:51*pm, A Moose In Love > wrote:
> On May 9, 1:38*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:48:44 -0400, cshenk wrote:
> > > "Sqwertz" wrote

> > > Heheh Interested in the sashimi! *I had a dish oin Pohang Korea at a Russian
> > > restraunt. *Utterly simple yet divine.

> > Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
> > cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

> trading pork bellies futures?....lol...i wouldn't. *the market's way
> too thin. *not much trade anymore.

looky he frozen pork belly futures; hardly 50 contracts being
traded per day:
http://futuresource.quote.com/charts...%281%2C1%29%3B

looky he lean hogs futures; 20,000 contracts being traded per day;
notice the decline in volume and open interest; that's because the
chart is trading month sensitive and is showing specific contract
information instead of total contract information
http://futuresource.quote.com/charts...%281%2C1%29%3B

<snip>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Hopefully these will encourage some of you folks here (who actually
>>> cook and post about cooking) to have pork bellies in your futures.

>> Preaching to the choir this time! Am passing recipes in 'The Cesspool'
>> thread (Portabelos, Japanese other things, how to teach cooking).

> That wasn't aimed at you. That was for all my detractors that say I
> never post anything food-related when that's far from the truth.
> Just one of my posts top a whole month's worth of posts from some of
> them.

Snickeer, no problem either way!

> "Cesspool thread"? I probably skipped it with a subject like that.

Like so many, it morfed. As I came in, it was a diatribe on someone elses
posted recipes. They'd peeled out selected ingredients from some 100 or
more then trashed the site. I came back with a subset of them used by the
lactose intolerant or folks who need to limit cholestrol. Morfed shortly
into recipes and how to teach cooking to new folks to it.

Just now it's on about mushroom types and simple recipes.

>>> Here are some cured with garlic and roasted, 3-rib belly sections
>>> sold as "Karubi Ribs". Perhaps you can tell me why they are called
>>> "Karubi Ribs"?
>>> http://i42.tinypic.com/ea0309.jpg

>> No clue unless Google tells us. They do remind me of a dish I had once
>> long
>> ago in Sint Thomas (dutch side).

> It's on Wiki as: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakiniku
> But refers to beef short ribs (Galbi/Kalbi) in Japan. These are the
> almost the equivalent of pork short ribs, but not from the "chuck"
> of the pig.

Humm, ok! Just called 'ribs' in Sasebo. 'Engrish useage' is pretty simple.
It's normally a phonetic 'close enough to be usable'. I've now lost due to
lack of use, much of my ersatz 'cooking Japanese' words but they would come
back fast there.

>>> Smoked:
>>> http://i44.tinypic.com/6i5lqa.jpg

>> AWESOME! Any special rub you used? I have several ideas there. Last
>> time
>> we did a hunk of pork, we went asiatic fusion with a touch of Caribbean
>> curry mix added.

> I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
> of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
> slight sugar, salt, pepper:

Humm, looks to have some paprika and possibly annato there? The sugar may
be the brown sugar looking bits? That would have lead to the nice glaze
look at finish.

>> I'll have to fix my ability to post pics eventually and show some of my
>> dishes.

> If you need a binary server to post to ABF and such, just let me
> know. I have a few to share.

Thanks! Mostly I need to get off my butt and get the right cable for the
camera then start taking pics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 17:53:13 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>> I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
>> of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
>> slight sugar, salt, pepper:

> Humm, looks to have some paprika and possibly annato there? The sugar may
> be the brown sugar looking bits? That would have lead to the nice glaze
> look at finish.

Yeah - there was paprika. That was back when I made my Generic
spice rub a pound at a time and stored it in a Vitamin Water bottle.
It had the basic ingredients I used for most smokes, then I would
add custom spices based on what was cookingf (thyme, coriander,
rosemary, cumin, etc ...)

> Thanks! Mostly I need to get off my butt and get the right cable for the
> camera then start taking pics.

I lost my cable as well. So I just bought one of those 7 in 1 card
readers that reads both cellphone cards and all my SD cards. Then
somebody stole my camera (I think). Last seen on the kitchen
counter before the refrigerator was delivered.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 12:57:15 -0700 (PDT), A Moose In Love wrote:

> looky he
> looky he

Lookie Here!

<Google-plonk>

Nice meeting you.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 9 May 2010 17:53:13 -0400, cshenk wrote:
>
> > "Sqwertz" wrote
> >
> >> I don't remember exactly what I used on these, but here is a picture
> >> of them rubbed. It was probably my generic BBQ rub (garlic, onion,
> >> slight sugar, salt, pepper:

> > Humm, looks to have some paprika and possibly annato there? The sugar may
> > be the brown sugar looking bits? That would have lead to the nice glaze
> > look at finish.

> Yeah - there was paprika. That was back when I made my Generic
> spice rub a pound at a time and stored it in a Vitamin Water bottle.
> It had the basic ingredients I used for most smokes, then I would
> add custom spices based on what was cookingf (thyme, coriander,
> rosemary, cumin, etc ...)
>
> > Thanks! Mostly I need to get off my butt and get the right cable for the
> > camera then start taking pics.

> I lost my cable as well. So I just bought one of those 7 in 1 card
> readers that reads both cellphone cards and all my SD cards. Then
> somebody stole my camera (I think). Last seen on the kitchen
> counter before the refrigerator was delivered.
>
> -sw

That sux. Did you call the delivery company?

My new camera was not compatible with the mac, so I also bought a card
reader. Problem solved. I just pop the card out of the camera, plug the
card reader into my USB hub and stick the memory card into the reader.

Problem solved. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 19:32:36 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> My new camera was not compatible with the mac

It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>> My new camera was not compatible with the mac

> It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
> All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
> then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

Are you kidding? Mac is all over TWAIN. They were USB when Microsloth
was finally figuring out there was more than 256 colors. She's running a
MUCH older Mac, with a processor and software that isn't supporting her
camera. Card reader works fine for her, so be it.

--Lin (Mac owner and operator for coming up on twenty years now)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
> All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
> then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

I'd also like to point out she's running a Mac that's about 10 years old
now. How many Windoze boxes have YOU gone through? Betting that if you
are on a box that old, you can't run the new OS either.

OB Food: I was going to make enchiladas tonight, but I'm not in the mood
for cooking.

--Lin (really didn't want to get into a platform war, but I'm in that
frame of mind right now)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 18:52:40 -0700, Lin wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
>> All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
>> then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

> I'd also like to point out she's running a Mac that's about 10 years old
> now. How many Windoze boxes have YOU gone through? Betting that if you
> are on a box that old, you can't run the new OS either.

Whoa. We have an militant Om sympathizer here. Excuse me.

We with PC's (*usually running windows) don't need to buy new
"boxes". We just6 upgrade the ones we have a little at a time when
it becomes necessary. I have never paid more than $50 at a time to
keep my machine somewhat current. Usually the upgrades were free
handmedowns from people who had to have the latest and greatest. My
"box" (the case) is an Antec case that is about 7 years old.

Can't do THAT with a Mac.

If I had a computer that was 10 years old that I couldn't upgrade,
it would not have even been plugged in for the last 4 years.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 18:52:40 -0700, Lin wrote:

> --Lin (really didn't want to get into a platform war, but I'm in that
> frame of mind right now)

Actually, you've never responded to any of my posts. And here you
chose this one, a thread in which I offered to help you, and then
only after it became OT did you respond out of the blue attacking me
for trying to help out somebody else.

I'll put you in the same category as Cathy. Thanks for letting me
know how you feel.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I'll put you in the same category as Cathy. Thanks for letting me
> know how you feel.

Sheesh ... sure seem pretty soft and tender Stevie. Poor baby. KF me,
please.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Actually, you've never responded to any of my posts. And here you
> chose this one, a thread in which I offered to help you, and then
> only after it became OT did you respond out of the blue attacking me
> for trying to help out somebody else.

OH! Now I get it! Dang, sorry I didn't acknowledge how much I enjoyed
what you posted about the Pork Belly Pasts!

Sorry babe. I liked what you wrote and the pictures you posted. Feel
better now?

Warmest regards,

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 19:27:40 -0700, Lin wrote:

> Warmest regards,

Not really.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

>> Warmest regards,

> Not really.

I'm truly glad sarcasm isn't lost on you.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 19:37:15 -0700, Lin wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>>> Warmest regards,

>> Not really.

> I'm truly glad sarcasm isn't lost on you.

I rest my case.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2010 19:32:36 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > My new camera was not compatible with the mac

> It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
> All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
> then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.
>
> -sw

It came with a USB cable...

that was not compatible with OS-X 10.2.8

The card reader worked so it worked out. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> >> My new camera was not compatible with the mac

> > It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
> > All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
> > then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

> Are you kidding? Mac is all over TWAIN. They were USB when Microsloth
> was finally figuring out there was more than 256 colors. She's running a
> MUCH older Mac, with a processor and software that isn't supporting her
> camera. Card reader works fine for her, so be it.
>
> --Lin (Mac owner and operator for coming up on twenty years now)

<lol> Thanks for understanding Lin. This mac is >10 years old...
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
> > All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
> > then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

> I'd also like to point out she's running a Mac that's about 10 years old
> now. How many Windoze boxes have YOU gone through? Betting that if you
> are on a box that old, you can't run the new OS either.
>
> OB Food: I was going to make enchiladas tonight, but I'm not in the mood
> for cooking.
>
> --Lin (really didn't want to get into a platform war, but I'm in that
> frame of mind right now)

Works for me and so did the card reader. :-)
I had leftover BBQ made in to spring rolls with romaine and mustard.
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2010 18:52:40 -0700, Lin wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> >> It didn't have a USB cable? Does the Mac not support USB devices?
> >> All cameras have a TWAIN mode, and if Mac doesn't understand that,
> >> then it's no wonder Apple hasn't conquered the world.

> > I'd also like to point out she's running a Mac that's about 10 years old
> > now. How many Windoze boxes have YOU gone through? Betting that if you
> > are on a box that old, you can't run the new OS either.

> Whoa. We have an militant Om sympathizer here. Excuse me.
>
> We with PC's (*usually running windows) don't need to buy new
> "boxes". We just6 upgrade the ones we have a little at a time when
> it becomes necessary. I have never paid more than $50 at a time to
> keep my machine somewhat current. Usually the upgrades were free
> handmedowns from people who had to have the latest and greatest. My
> "box" (the case) is an Antec case that is about 7 years old.
>
> Can't do THAT with a Mac.
>
> If I had a computer that was 10 years old that I couldn't upgrade,
> it would not have even been plugged in for the last 4 years.
>
> -sw

Hey, I bought a new laptop that runs Windoze 7.
And they made it so freakin' different from xp that I'm having to
re-learn it! That takes time...
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > I'll put you in the same category as Cathy. Thanks for letting me
> > know how you feel.

> Sheesh ... sure seem pretty soft and tender Stevie. Poor baby. KF me,
> please.
>
> --Lin

<chuckles> He does seem to be a bit of a format snob!
But at least he finally has a cellphone!
--
Peace! Om

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote:

> We with PC's (*usually running windows) don't need to buy new
> "boxes". We just6 upgrade the ones we have a little at a time when
> it becomes necessary. I have never paid more than $50 at a time to
> keep my machine somewhat current. Usually the upgrades were free
> handmedowns from people who had to have the latest and greatest. My
> "box" (the case) is an Antec case that is about 7 years old.

Contrast yourself with sf, who buys a new computer whenever she decides it's
time for a different operating system. Between the two of you, I think sf is
probably the more typical user.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 May 2010 23:27:45 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> We with PC's (*usually running windows) don't need to buy new
>> "boxes". We just6 upgrade the ones we have a little at a time when
>> it becomes necessary. I have never paid more than $50 at a time to
>> keep my machine somewhat current. Usually the upgrades were free
>> handmedowns from people who had to have the latest and greatest. My
>> "box" (the case) is an Antec case that is about 7 years old.

> Contrast yourself with sf, who buys a new computer whenever she decides it's
> time for a different operating system. Between the two of you, I think sf is
> probably the more typical user.

But that's not the point. The point is that is that it's not
necessary as it is with a Mac.

It is irrelevant is people want to waste money because they don't
know how to do any of that stuff themselves.

Anyway - this is all OT and has been argues about before by no less
than 2 million people. The Mac loses as far as proprietary hardware
and locking people into being at the mercy of Apple.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 May 2010 23:06:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> <chuckles> He does seem to be a bit of a format snob!
> But at least he finally has a cellphone!

What I say to you in person is meant to stay that way.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Smoked and plated with mountain gorgonzola mashed potatoes and
> asparagus:

> -sw

One nasty looking fresh chewed thumB. Enough on that plated even
without the thumb to slop a group of hogs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> Humm, looks to have some paprika and possibly annato there? The sugar
>> may
>> be the brown sugar looking bits? That would have lead to the nice glaze
>> look at finish.

> Yeah - there was paprika. That was back when I made my Generic
> spice rub a pound at a time and stored it in a Vitamin Water bottle.
> It had the basic ingredients I used for most smokes, then I would
> add custom spices based on what was cookingf (thyme, coriander,
> rosemary, cumin, etc ...)

Makes sense. I just mix mine each time. I pretty much pull out what
seems interesting then start sniffing and mixing ;-)

>> Thanks! Mostly I need to get off my butt and get the right cable for the
>> camera then start taking pics.

> I lost my cable as well. So I just bought one of those 7 in 1 card
> readers that reads both cellphone cards and all my SD cards. Then

Thats what I need. USB sort. It would be easier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 May 2010 18:44:56 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>
>> I lost my cable as well. So I just bought one of those 7 in 1 card
>> readers that reads both cellphone cards and all my SD cards. Then

> Thats what I need. USB sort. It would be easier.

I took my floppy drive out and threw it away and put this a reader
in it's place. A few days later I needed my floppy drive. First
time in probably 10 years I actually need a floppy drive (to install
a driver during the installation df Windows XP).

Is there another way to install a SATA II driver when you install
Windows XP other than on floppy? I do not have a BIOS option to
make a USB device act like a floppy.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 09 May 2010 23:06:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > <chuckles> He does seem to be a bit of a format snob!
> > But at least he finally has a cellphone!

> What I say to you in person is meant to stay that way.
>
> -sw

Sincere apologies.

I won't make that error again...
The irony was amusing is all. :-)
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> > <chuckles> He does seem to be a bit of a format snob!
>> > But at least he finally has a cellphone!

>> What I say to you in person is meant to stay that way.

>Sincere apologies.
>
>I won't make that error again...
>The irony was amusing is all. :-)

Isn't cell phone two words... at first I thought you wrote cellophane.