Old 09-01-2016, 03:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sous Vide Cooking

Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €” but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €” but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

Yes I do! It is wonderful especially for tough meats and I do sous vide
other meats too. It will cook your pork chops beautifully! You might
want to brown them before or after cooking or they will look a bit insipid!

My sous vide doubles as a slow cooker too if that is of interest. Just to
let you know they are out there.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-09, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted ??? it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method ??? but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

I almost did. Then started thinking about why I'd want to. I liked
the idea of being able to eat melt-in-yer-mouth beef from cheap cuts
like.... well, you know. Problem is, takes freakin' hrs to cook a
cheap cut o' beef. Takes only about 30-40 mins in my pressure cooker.
That's when my entire sous vide scheme pretty much fell apart.

nb
Old 09-01-2016, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-09, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted ??? it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method ??? but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

I almost did. Then started thinking about why I'd want to. I liked
the idea of being able to eat melt-in-yer-mouth beef from cheap cuts
like.... well, you know. Problem is, takes freakin' hrs to cook a
cheap cut o' beef. Takes only about 30-40 mins in my pressure cooker.
That's when my entire sous vide scheme pretty much fell apart.

nb

Do you find the flavour develops with a pressure cooker though? Back
when the kids were little I used it all the time for stews etc but I
tried to do it with enough time in hand to put it in the oven for
about an hour to make it taste more incorporated.

No doubt about it tenderising though - my cousin used to cook sheeps
head in it to make meals for his dog
Old 09-01-2016, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2016-01-09, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
[...]

I have a pressure cooker too, but it doesn't get the same melty tender meat
as the sous vide.

As for it taking hours, yes it does but you can just leave it and it needs
no attention.

If you are looking for fast food forget sous vide. I love mine!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 09-01-2016, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €” but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

Not so far, seems a tad fiddly and not maillard enough for me.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
Mine should be here in a couple weeks.

**** off and DIE.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Why do you even bother posting if that's all you have to say? We've
heard the same thing at least 2,000 times by now."

-sw

"OK, so it's your planet so I guess you get to define what all teens on
Planet Bove eat. We'll need to add this to the Planet Bove Wikipedia
entry: "Teenagers on Planet Bove only eat chicken strips, fries, and
baby carrots".

-sw

"Incredible. And you STILL don't shut up."

-sw

I thought you were here just to talk about cooking? You've only said
that at least 25 times, yet 95% of the flack you get is about
off-topic subjects.

-sw

Way to go, Julie! You beat her down into speechlessness.

-sw

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old 09-01-2016, 07:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 10:44:01 AM UTC-5, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted -- it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method -- but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.
--

I can't help with the sous vide, since it's never attracted me,
but I gotta ask: what's inedible about your pork chops? How

Cindy Hamilton

Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/9/16 10:43 AM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €” but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

There have been several long discussions of sous vide here in the past
year. Several of us have adopted the method for regular use. Mine is a
SansAire, sold by Sur la Table, and I'm very happy with it.

In addition to meats, it produces the best pseudo-poached or soft-boiled
eggs I hasve ever tasted.

-- Larry

Old 10-01-2016, 06:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article ,
cibola de oro wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €” but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

Not so far, seems a tad fiddly and not maillard enough for me.

"Fiddly"?? What's fiddly about setting the temperature and walking away?

And you can/should do a quick sear before or after (or both) doing the
sous vide cooking. I often use a torch, but a scorching-hot iron skillet
works too.

Isaac
Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way
to find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €”
but can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

Yes I do! It is wonderful especially for tough meats and I do sous
vide other meats too. It will cook your pork chops beautifully!
You might want to brown them before or after cooking or they will look
a bit insipid!

My sous vide doubles as a slow cooker too if that is of interest.
Just to let you know they are out there.

I have a sous vide circulator and I use if moderately often. I think the
results for proteins are absolutely fabulous. Best lamb chops I ever had
were done sous vide. The only reason I don't use mine more often is that
with the long cook times, you have to do more than the average advanced
planning to produce a meal. And usually, about 6 to 8 hours ahead is all I
can do in the kitchen.

Oh, and even sous vide, you can overcook something. I did barbecued ribs
one time, left them in for the high end of the recommended time, and wound
up with something that gave "falling off the bone" new meaning.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 9:44:01 AM UTC-6, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted -- it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method -- but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

I'm surprised Bryan hasn't spoken up. I helped him make a sous vide cooker once. I never got any of the meat Bryan cooked in it though.

John Kuthe...
Old 10-01-2016, 08:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/1/2016 19:26 John Kuthe wrote:

On Saturday, January 9, 2016 at 9:44:01 AM UTC-6, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted -- it could be an expensive way to
find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method -- but can't
quite bring myself to pull the trigger.
Barb
www.barbschaller.com, last update April 2013

I'm surprised Bryan hasn't spoken up. I helped him make a sous vide cooker once. I never got any of the meat Bryan cooked in it though.

After all these years you two are finally getting to the cause of the
rift.

--
Bruce