Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Sous Vide Experiences. (WAS: Hacking your slow cooker for Sous Vide)

Curt, have you experimented with working searing of steaks, etc. into
your sous vide cooking methodology? How do you address the problem of
appearance?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2010 8:01 AM, wrote:
> Curt, have you experimented with working searing of steaks, etc. into
> your sous vide cooking methodology? How do you address the problem of
> appearance?
>
> -- Larry

Steaks have become so easy that I feel like I'm cheating somehow.

When you do your first sous vide steaks, it sort of freaks you out how
grey and nasty they look when they come out of the bag. I mean they
*really* look gross...

I'm fortunate enough to have a Weber gas grill on my deck with cast iron
grates, so I sear them off for :45 seconds a side with three flips,
which results in great color and crosshatched grill marks. The key is
getting all the moisture off the surface of your meat before you try and
brown it. I also like to coat the protein with a little oil before I
brown it because I believe it helps displace moisture and conducts heat
better to achieve a Maillard reaction. It feels like sacrelidge, but I
simply shoot a little cooking spray on before I brown them.

When the weather's crappy, I've also had great results with a cast iron
pan.

Until this weekend I hadn't figured out a good way to brown boneless
skinless chicken breasts without screwing them up. I thought it was a
stupid idea for the longest time, but I finally busted out a creme
brulee torch and torched my chicken breasts after drying and oiling
them. They turned out beautiful! It only took a few seconds and they
looked like something from a glossy magazine shoot. I still feel stupid
for using a torch on a chicken breast, though...

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 9, 11:52*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> wrote:
> > Curt, have you experimented with working searing of steaks, etc. into
> > your sous vide cooking methodology? How do you address the problem of
> > appearance?

> A picture is worth a thousand words. *Two pictures, therefore, should be
> worth two thousand words? *He supplied a URL to two beautiful pictures,
> with full sear marks, one of a steak and one of a chicken breast. *Both
> were cut so you could see the inside.

The steak looked medium well. I'd like to see one medium rare.

> --
> Dan Abel

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article
Bryan > wrote:

> On Nov 9, 11:52*am, Dan Abel > wrote:
> > In article >,
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Curt, have you experimented with working searing of steaks, etc. into
> > > your sous vide cooking methodology? How do you address the problem of
> > > appearance?

> > A picture is worth a thousand words. *Two pictures, therefore, should be
> > worth two thousand words? *He supplied a URL to two beautiful pictures,
> > with full sear marks, one of a steak and one of a chicken breast. *Both
> > were cut so you could see the inside.

> The steak looked medium well. I'd like to see one medium rare.

The beauty of sous vide is that you can have it cooked *exactly* as you
like it, every time, time after time.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:52:29 -0800, Dan Abel > wrote:

>A picture is worth a thousand words. Two pictures, therefore, should be
>worth two thousand words? He supplied a URL to two beautiful pictures,
>with full sear marks, one of a steak and one of a chicken breast. Both
>were cut so you could see the inside.

Yes, but they don't tell me when he seared them -- before or after
sous vide, or whether he experimented with both possibilities.

-- Larry