Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sous Vide Circulators (Was: Sous- Vid(e) cooking)

I'm posting this under a new title because I've seen a lot of replies to
the original thread where people are talking about hopping all over the
$100 dollar solution. Be _very_ careful about the less expensive
"options" and your own crockpot. These cheaper units usually have a decent
temperature control system but they don't circulate the water like the more
expensive units do. And according to a lot of what I've read, the
circulation of the water in the sous vide bath is important to the end
quality of what you're cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-30, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
> I'm posting this under a new title because I've seen a lot of replies to
> the original thread where people are talking about hopping all over the
> $100 dollar solution. Be _very_ careful about the less expensive
> "options" and your own crockpot. These cheaper units usually have a decent
> temperature control system but they don't circulate the water like the more
> expensive units do. And according to a lot of what I've read, the
> circulation of the water in the sous vide bath is important to the end
> quality of what you're cooking.

I'm thinking this is still a new market and, like microwaves, the
price will drop. Here are two units with heat/circ for under $200:

http://www.sousvides.com/
http://sansaire.com/

Expect more. As for the Dork controller, I imagine after a intitial
stabilityzation, circulateyness not problimatical. Lotta reviews and
almost all are positive. Are 100+ ppl lying? Besides, I'm not
cooking for 2 doz ppl or even 4. Jes me, until I get the range on
this new cookifying methodopoly. woo!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2013-10-30, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
> > I'm posting this under a new title because I've seen a lot of replies to
> > the original thread where people are talking about hopping all over the
> > $100 dollar solution. Be _very_ careful about the less expensive
> > "options" and your own crockpot. These cheaper units usually have a decent
> > temperature control system but they don't circulate the water like the more
> > expensive units do. And according to a lot of what I've read, the
> > circulation of the water in the sous vide bath is important to the end
> > quality of what you're cooking.

> I'm thinking this is still a new market and, like microwaves, the
> price will drop. Here are two units with heat/circ for under $200:
>
> http://www.sousvides.com/
> http://sansaire.com/
>
> Expect more. As for the Dork controller, I imagine after a intitial
> stabilityzation, circulateyness not problimatical. Lotta reviews and
> almost all are positive. Are 100+ ppl lying? Besides, I'm not
> cooking for 2 doz ppl or even 4. Jes me, until I get the range on
> this new cookifying methodopoly. woo!
>
> nb

Sounds to me like sous vide cooking is more trouble than it's worth.
I'm going to McDonalds.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/30/2013 2:15 PM, Gary wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-10-30, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
>>> I'm posting this under a new title because I've seen a lot of replies to
>>> the original thread where people are talking about hopping all over the
>>> $100 dollar solution. Be _very_ careful about the less expensive
>>> "options" and your own crockpot. These cheaper units usually have a decent
>>> temperature control system but they don't circulate the water like the more
>>> expensive units do. And according to a lot of what I've read, the
>>> circulation of the water in the sous vide bath is important to the end
>>> quality of what you're cooking.

>> I'm thinking this is still a new market and, like microwaves, the
>> price will drop. Here are two units with heat/circ for under $200:
>>
>> http://www.sousvides.com/
>> http://sansaire.com/
>>
>> Expect more. As for the Dork controller, I imagine after a intitial
>> stabilityzation, circulateyness not problimatical. Lotta reviews and
>> almost all are positive. Are 100+ ppl lying? Besides, I'm not
>> cooking for 2 doz ppl or even 4. Jes me, until I get the range on
>> this new cookifying methodopoly. woo!
>>
>> nb

> Sounds to me like sous vide cooking is more trouble than it's worth.
> I'm going to McDonalds.
>
> G.

I can't imagine the need to cook meat in a special gizmo. It's about as
uninteresting to me as a toaster oven.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-30, jmcquown > wrote:

> I can't imagine the need to cook meat in a special gizmo. It's about as
> uninteresting to me as a toaster oven.

I imagine that's only cuz said gizmo is currently so expensive. When
it gets down to $50-80 at WallyWorld --and it will-- you'll see 'em in
the home.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/30/2013 2:15 PM, Gary wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> I'm thinking this is still a new market and, like microwaves, the
>>> price will drop. Here are two units with heat/circ for under $200:
>>>
>>> http://www.sousvides.com/
>>> http://sansaire.com/
>>>
>>> Expect more. As for the Dork controller, I imagine after a intitial
>>> stabilityzation, circulateyness not problimatical. Lotta reviews and
>>> almost all are positive. Are 100+ ppl lying? Besides, I'm not
>>> cooking for 2 doz ppl or even 4. Jes me, until I get the range on
>>> this new cookifying methodopoly. woo!
>>>
>>> nb

>> Sounds to me like sous vide cooking is more trouble than it's worth.
>> I'm going to McDonalds.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I can't imagine the need to cook meat in a special gizmo. It's about as
> uninteresting to me as a toaster oven.
>
> Jill

it might also make a dandy foot bath for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> I'm posting this under a new title because I've seen a lot of replies to
> the original thread where people are talking about hopping all over the
> $100 dollar solution. Be _very_ careful about the less expensive
> "options" and your own crockpot. These cheaper units usually have a decent
> temperature control system but they don't circulate the water like the more
> expensive units do. And according to a lot of what I've read, the
> circulation of the water in the sous vide bath is important to the end
> quality of what you're cooking.

I would be interested in why that might be.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in
:

> On 10/30/2013 2:15 PM, Gary wrote:
>> notbob wrote:

>>> I'm thinking this is still a new market and, like microwaves, the
>>> price will drop. Here are two units with heat/circ for under $200:
>>>
>>> http://www.sousvides.com/
>>> http://sansaire.com/
>>>
>>> Expect more. As for the Dork controller, I imagine after a intitial
>>> stabilityzation, circulateyness not problimatical. Lotta reviews
>>> and almost all are positive. Are 100+ ppl lying? Besides, I'm not
>>> cooking for 2 doz ppl or even 4. Jes me, until I get the range on
>>> this new cookifying methodopoly. woo!
>>>
>>> nb

>> Sounds to me like sous vide cooking is more trouble than it's worth.
>> I'm going to McDonalds.
>>
>> G.
>>

> I can't imagine the need to cook meat in a special gizmo. It's about
> as uninteresting to me as a toaster oven.
>
> Jill

Very simple answer: the quality of the finished product. As just one
example, I've never had better, tastier, more tender lamb chops or spare
ribs than the ones I've cooked sous vide.

As far as "special gizmo" is concerned, stoves are special gizmos,
broilers are special gizmos, and grills are special gizmos. So you must
cook your meat on a stick held over an open fire...?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-10-31, Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> Very simple answer: the quality of the finished product.

See my orig thread (latest post), which you uselessly forked, for a cheap solution to
the non-circulating "$100 solution".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2013 3:55 PM, Gary wrote:
> Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>
>> As far as "special gizmo" is concerned, stoves are special gizmos,
>> broilers are special gizmos, and grills are special gizmos. So you must
>> cook your meat on a stick held over an open fire...?

> Actually Alan, one of my best steak memories was back in the 60's. I
> was on a Boy Scout campout and I cooked a steak on a forked stick over
> an open campfire. It was a good one. :-D
>
> G.

I don't recall using a stick, but some of the best steaks I've ever
eaten were cooked over a wood or lump coal fire.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook wrote:

> As far as "special gizmo" is concerned, stoves are special gizmos,
> broilers are special gizmos, and grills are special gizmos. So you must
> cook your meat on a stick held over an open fire...?

Actually Alan, one of my best steak memories was back in the 60's. I
was on a Boy Scout campout and I cooked a steak on a forked stick over
an open campfire. It was a good one. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in
:

> On 10/31/2013 3:55 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as "special gizmo" is concerned, stoves are special gizmos,
>>> broilers are special gizmos, and grills are special gizmos. So you
>>> must cook your meat on a stick held over an open fire...?

>> Actually Alan, one of my best steak memories was back in the 60's. I
>> was on a Boy Scout campout and I cooked a steak on a forked stick
>> over an open campfire. It was a good one. :-D
>>
>> G.
>>

> I don't recall using a stick, but some of the best steaks I've ever
> eaten were cooked over a wood or lump coal fire.
>
> Jill

I never said it wasn't a _good_ way to cook meat, I was just making a
point about "gizmos". I happen to agree with you. But that doesn't make
cooking sous vide any less valid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-01, Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> point about "gizmos". I happen to agree with you. But that doesn't make
> cooking sous vide any less valid.

True.

I'm not so sure I really wanna get too deep into this thing. While I
freely admit the gizmo attraction, I really don't eat that much beef
and the entire process seems to benefit beef the most. OTOH, I'm not
sure I don't eat much beef cuz of the price or if I jes really am not
that good at cooking it. One website insists it turns lesser cuts of
beef into really tasty meals. That could work to my benefit.

I truly do love chicken breasts and I can see how they might really
benefit from sous-vide, but my current disgust with the chicken
industry leaves me without much exposure to chicken, anymore. Also,
I'm no longer so enamored with the organic mkt we have, here, either.
I discovered they want $9 lb for whole organic chicken! There's not a
chicken on this planet worth $9lb.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 14:55:22 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>
>> As far as "special gizmo" is concerned, stoves are special gizmos,
>> broilers are special gizmos, and grills are special gizmos. So you must
>> cook your meat on a stick held over an open fire...?

>Actually Alan, one of my best steak memories was back in the 60's. I
>was on a Boy Scout campout and I cooked a steak on a forked stick over
>an open campfire. It was a good one. :-D

Yeah, it was a tube steak! LOL