Posted to rec.food.cooking
Alan Holbrook[_5_] Alan Holbrook[_5_] is offline

Default Sous Vide Cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone here do it? I'm tempted €” it could be an expensive way
>> to find out if I can get an edible pork chop using that method €”
>> but can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger.

> Yes I do! It is wonderful especially for tough meats and I do sous
> vide other meats too. It will cook your pork chops beautifully!
> You might want to brown them before or after cooking or they will look
> a bit insipid!
>
> My sous vide doubles as a slow cooker too if that is of interest.
> Just to let you know they are out there.

I have a sous vide circulator and I use if moderately often. I think the
results for proteins are absolutely fabulous. Best lamb chops I ever had
were done sous vide. The only reason I don't use mine more often is that
with the long cook times, you have to do more than the average advanced
planning to produce a meal. And usually, about 6 to 8 hours ahead is all I
can do in the kitchen.

Oh, and even sous vide, you can overcook something. I did barbecued ribs
one time, left them in for the high end of the recommended time, and wound
up with something that gave "falling off the bone" new meaning.