Old 03-08-2014, 03:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default one tomato plant not producing

I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" wrote in message ...

I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

~~~~~~~~
This may sound strange, but I wonder if the blossoms on that plant are not
being pollinated? I grew tomato plants inside my house one winter, and they
produced. However, I had to pollinate them myself. I used a tiny paint
brush and *very gently* touched it to one blossom, then another, etc. I
don't have any idea why bees would miss one plant, but you could try what I
did as an experiment.

MaryL

Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2014 10:01 PM, Gus wrote:
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

It is biggest and healthiest because all of its enerfy is making leaves,
not fruit.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Gus" wrote in message ...

[...]

Thanks. I've thought of doing that but keep thinking surely there will
be some tomatoes on it soon... I will check it tomorrow and if none,
will try that. Odd the plant 3 feet away has fair number of tomatoes,
and the others in the backyard too.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 8/2/2014 10:01 PM, Gus wrote:
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but
one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one
tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any
tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

It is biggest and healthiest because all of its enerfy is making
leaves, not fruit.

What do you suggest? What Mary said? Cutting back some of it? It has
plenty of flowers and has for last couple months.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:26 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Aug 2014 22:01:05 -0400, "Gus"
wrote:

I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

Is it possible that plant is in position to get much hotter than the
others? Tomatoes can blossom drop if the temps go over 85 during the
day.
Janet US
Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" wrote in message
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

Did you put blossom set spray on it? If not, try that. It's also possible
that the plant is different than the others and could be a later fruiting
variety. I don't know about your climate there, but here we often don't get
tomatoes until the end of August. And different varieties produce at
different times. Even if you bought a plant labeled something like "Early
Girl", it could have merely been mislabed or could have really been planted
with some other kind of seed. I've had tomatoes reseeds themselves and
because of how weird tomatoes can be, the plant that comes up could be
something entirely different from what I planted the year before.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2014 10:01 PM, Gus wrote:
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

It is biggest and healthiest because all of its enerfy is making leaves,
not fruit.

What do you suggest? What Mary said? Cutting back some of it? It has
plenty of flowers and has for last couple months.

~~~~~~
My first thought was actually what Ed suggested, but I rejected that idea
when I noticed that the plant has flowers. If it was all foliage, I would
suspect too much nitrogen.

MaryL

Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" wrote in message
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

Too much nitrogen.

---

Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Gus" wrote in message
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

Too much nitrogen.

Nope. That would stunt blossom growth and give excess foliage.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/effects...nts-43755.html

While it is possible that the plant didn't get pollinated, I still think it
is just a later variety.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2014 10:01 PM, Gus wrote:
[...]

I'm following this with interest because I have the same
problem. My largest, most lush tomato plant had plenty of
flowers but no tomatoes. I've seen a couple tiny ones but
that's where it stands.

Finally the cherry tomatoes are coming in and the other
Mortgage Lifter has plenty of still green tomatoes, but the
other Mortgage Lifter is a bust.

nancy

Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message

"Gus" wrote in message
I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

Too much nitrogen.

Nope. That would stunt blossom growth and give excess foliage.

Which is what he has, Julie. He has a beautiful, bountiful tomato plant but
no tomatoes.

---

Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-03 6:34 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

I'm following this with interest because I have the same
problem. My largest, most lush tomato plant had plenty of
flowers but no tomatoes. I've seen a couple tiny ones but
that's where it stands.

Finally the cherry tomatoes are coming in and the other
Mortgage Lifter has plenty of still green tomatoes, but the
other Mortgage Lifter is a bust.

Are they different varieties of tomatoes? I usually get one or two
plants of each of several varieties because they bear fruit at different
times. You end up with a longer tomato season and are not inundated with
the crop all ripening at the same time.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-03 6:34 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

I'm following this with interest because I have the same
problem. My largest, most lush tomato plant had plenty of
flowers but no tomatoes. I've seen a couple tiny ones but
that's where it stands.

Finally the cherry tomatoes are coming in and the other
Mortgage Lifter has plenty of still green tomatoes, but the
other Mortgage Lifter is a bust.

Are they different varieties of tomatoes? I usually get one or two
plants of each of several varieties because they bear fruit at different
times. You end up with a longer tomato season and are not inundated with
the crop all ripening at the same time.

I only grew two types, the Mortgage Lifters and the cherry tomatoes.
Maybe next year I will grow three varieties.

I put the cherry and one mortgage lifter in one box garden,
and another mortgage lifter as the only tomato plant in the
other box. Maybe I should have keep like types together.
Also I crowded the cherry and mortgage lifter, don't know what I
was thinking. Still, I did get flowers.

nancy

Old 03-08-2014, 01:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/3/2014 12:23 AM, Gus wrote:

It is biggest and healthiest because all of its energy is making
leaves, not fruit.

What do you suggest? What Mary said? Cutting back some of it? It has
plenty of flowers and has for last couple months.

It may be too late, but for some reason it did not pollinate. Not sure
hot to do it but it can be done.