Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick Janet Bostwick is offline

Default one tomato plant not producing

On Sun, 3 Aug 2014 10:51:24 -0400, "Gus" >
wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> Are they different varieties of tomatoes? I usually get one or two
>> plants of each of several varieties because they bear fruit at
>> different times. You end up with a longer tomato season and are not
>> inundated with the crop all ripening at the same time.

>I have two varieties. Beefsteak and Early girl. Can you cross
>pollinate the different varieties? Or, is it better/worse to pollinate
>from the same plant the male and female flowers?

Early Girl is just as it says -- an early producer. Beefsteak will
not reward you until later in the season because it takes time to
develop the larger fruit. You need to get a middle season tomato. If
you are buying from a good grower the attached tags should tell you
days to maturity. Or, you could look up the variety on the 'Net.
Janet US