Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default How producing “ethical, zero-harm” plant food for vegans and vegetarians kills more animals than, well, actually killing animals for the purpose of eating them.

Stunning article from Australia. Learned a lot.

http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...our-hands-4659
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 4:31*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> Stunning article from Australia. * Learned a lot.
>
> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

I'm curious how they classified animals as "sentient" or not
sentient. Extreme animal "rights" nutcases say that humans don't have
the right to judge which animals are more worthy than other animals,
but their defective, vegan brains don't know what to say when you
point out that to produce their freakin' tofu, thousands of earthworms
get chopped in half by plows, whereas a grass fed cow can produce huge
amounts of cheese with no killing. A grass fed steer can provide huge
amounts of meat with only one killing. If those idiots ever have a
demonstration locally that I find out about, I'm going to make an
effort to be there with a sign that says something like:
VEGANS ARE
EARTHWORM
MURDERERS.

When we lived in Tampa, they picketed the U. of South Florida Med.
School, and I went and bought a raw steak, and ate it raw across the
street from them while yelling insults at their B-12 deficient asses.
I was scared that one of those pallid hippies was going to come across
the street and kick my ass...NOT.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 12:31*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> Stunning article from Australia. * Learned a lot.
>
> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
will be available only to rich folk. What will meat without a soul
taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On Jan 1, 4:31 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> Stunning article from Australia. Learned a lot.
>>
>> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

> I'm curious how they classified animals as "sentient" or not
> sentient. Extreme animal "rights" nutcases say that humans don't have
> the right to judge which animals are more worthy than other animals,
> but their defective, vegan brains don't know what to say when you
> point out that to produce their freakin' tofu, thousands of earthworms
> get chopped in half by plows, whereas a grass fed cow can produce huge
> amounts of cheese with no killing. A grass fed steer can provide huge
> amounts of meat with only one killing. If those idiots ever have a
> demonstration locally that I find out about, I'm going to make an
> effort to be there with a sign that says something like:
> VEGANS ARE
> EARTHWORM
> MURDERERS.
>
> When we lived in Tampa, they picketed the U. of South Florida Med.
> School, and I went and bought a raw steak, and ate it raw across the
> street from them while yelling insults at their B-12 deficient asses.
> I was scared that one of those pallid hippies was going to come across
> the street and kick my ass...NOT.

I was a vegetarian for many years. Yes, I do love animals. And no I do not
think any one animal is better in any way than another animal. I think they
are all here for a reason if to some of us it doesn't seem like a good
reason. But mainly I was a vegetarian because I realized that my stomach
felt a lot better if I didn't eat meat. I do eat some meat now because if I
don't eat it I become anemic. However I now know there is a medical reason
why I don't feel well if I eat meat and I am going to find out at the end of
this month is there is another reason why I become anemic. My dad and my
brother both have a blood disorder that is inherited.

I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. But thanks to my
high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when we cut them
or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we might do to harvest
them or even make the fields ready to grow another crop.

Vegans do not have to be B-12 deficient. I was also a vegan for a brief
period of time. That to me is the best tasting food in the world! But my
stomach couldn't handle it. All vegans have to do is eat nutritional yeast.
And yes I know it is not all vegan. But there is plenty that is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Jan 1, 12:31 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> Stunning article from Australia. Learned a lot.
>>
>> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
> Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
> will be available only to rich folk. What will meat without a soul
> taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
algae. They were growing it and they said it can support life. Imagine
that as your only food source. No thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 8:28*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. *But thanks to my
> high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when we cut them
> or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we might do to harvest
> them or even make the fields ready to grow another crop.

Hahahahahaha! Plants suffering! You're a nutcase. Maybe you had a
kooky high school biology teacher.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 9:18*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 8:28*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

> > I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. *But thanks to my
> > high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when we cut them
> > or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we might do to harvest
> > them or even make the fields ready to grow another crop.

> Hahahahahaha! *Plants suffering! *You're a nutcase. *Maybe you had a
> kooky high school biology teacher.
>
> --Bryan

Well, plants can have a reaction to being cut, picked, etc. I can't
see how anyone could call that suffering though.

And yes Julie, animals suffer when killed for food. Which is why I
always give thanks at Thanksgiving dinner to the turkey that, albeit
unwillingly, gave it's life that we might have this sumptuous feast!
And then I feast! MMMMMMM!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
dsi1 > wrote:

> On Jan 1, 12:31*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> > Stunning article from Australia. * Learned a lot.
> >
> > http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
> Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
> will be available only to rich folk.

Maybe where you live. In New Zealand it's still likely to be resaonably
easily available.

> What will meat without a soul
> taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

If you believe in souls.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > On Jan 1, 12:31 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> >> Stunning article from Australia. Learned a lot.
> >>
> >> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

> > It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
> > Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
> > will be available only to rich folk. What will meat without a soul
> > taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
> algae. They were growing it and they said it can support life. Imagine
> that as your only food source. No thanks!

What do you think spirulina is?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:
> On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>

>> I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. But thanks
>> to my high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when
>> we cut them or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we
>> might do to harvest them or even make the fields ready to grow
>> another crop.

> Hahahahahaha! Plants suffering! You're a nutcase. Maybe you had a
> kooky high school biology teacher.

He hooked up a meter to them to register their feelings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche wrote:
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
>>> Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
>>> will be available only to rich folk. What will meat without a soul
>>> taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

>> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form
>> of algae. They were growing it and they said it can support life.
>> Imagine that as your only food source. No thanks!

> What do you think spirulina is?

Yucky and smelly. I've never tried it. My mom gagged it down during the
70's. She didn't like it. There was no way I was going to try it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 9:46*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Bryan wrote:
> > On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. But thanks
> >> to my high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when
> >> we cut them or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we
> >> might do to harvest them or even make the fields ready to grow
> >> another crop.

> > Hahahahahaha! *Plants suffering! *You're a nutcase. *Maybe you had a
> > kooky high school biology teacher.

> He hooked up a meter to them to register their feelings.

A "feeling" meter, right? What is the SI unit of suffering?

I'm an electrical engineer as well as a registered nurse, Julie. Talk
to me!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Jan 1, 9:46 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Bryan wrote:

>>> Hahahahahaha! Plants suffering! You're a nutcase. Maybe you had a
>>> kooky high school biology teacher.

>> He hooked up a meter to them to register their feelings.

> A "feeling" meter, right? What is the SI unit of suffering?
>
> I'm an electrical engineer as well as a registered nurse, Julie. Talk
> to me!

I don't remember what it registered. I was 15 at the time. I'm 52 now. I
do know that he had us talk nicely to the plant and play classical music.
When we did these things the meter didn't respond. Then he had us burn and
cut the plant and play loud rock music. Before we did any of these things
we had to announce what we were going to do. Such as... "I'm going to burn
you!"

Not only did the meter respond wildly when we did these things, but after a
few days of doing this, the meter reacted just to our words. So it was
obvious on some level that the plant could tell what was going to happen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 9:59*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

> >> He hooked up a meter to them to register their feelings.

> > A "feeling" meter, right? What is the SI unit of suffering?

> > I'm an electrical engineer as well as a registered nurse, Julie. Talk
> > to me!

> I don't remember what it registered. *I was 15 at the time. *I'm 52 now. *I
> do know that he had us talk nicely to the plant and play classical music.
> When we did these things the meter didn't respond. *Then he had us burn and
> cut the plant and play loud rock music. *Before we did any of these things
> we had to announce what we were going to do. *Such as... *"I'm going to burn
> you!"
>
> Not only did the meter respond wildly when we did these things, but after a
> few days of doing this, the meter reacted just to our words. *So it was
> obvious on some level that the plant could tell what was going to happen.

I'll bet it was measuring resistance to electrical current flow, or
maybe even minute electrical charges being produced by the plant. The
latter I've never heard of, but I'm not a plant physiologist either.

Aha! : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_p...8physiology%29

But since a plant does not contain nor possess any type of neural
system such as animals (and humans, since we are animals) have, I
think it's a far stretch to claim plants experience any type of pain
or suffering similar to the way animals (and humans) do.

And I still don't know what your high school biology teacher was
measuring with a meter. And you apparently don't either, just that the
meter was moving.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Jan 1, 9:59 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:

>>> A "feeling" meter, right? What is the SI unit of suffering?

>>> I'm an electrical engineer as well as a registered nurse, Julie.
>>> Talk to me!

>> I don't remember what it registered. I was 15 at the time. I'm 52
>> now. I do know that he had us talk nicely to the plant and play
>> classical music. When we did these things the meter didn't respond.
>> Then he had us burn and cut the plant and play loud rock music.
>> Before we did any of these things we had to announce what we were
>> going to do. Such as... "I'm going to burn you!"
>>
>> Not only did the meter respond wildly when we did these things, but
>> after a few days of doing this, the meter reacted just to our words.
>> So it was obvious on some level that the plant could tell what was
>> going to happen.

> I'll bet it was measuring resistance to electrical current flow, or
> maybe even minute electrical charges being produced by the plant. The
> latter I've never heard of, but I'm not a plant physiologist either.
>
> Aha! : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_p...8physiology%29
>
> But since a plant does not contain nor possess any type of neural
> system such as animals (and humans, since we are animals) have, I
> think it's a far stretch to claim plants experience any type of pain
> or suffering similar to the way animals (and humans) do.
>
> And I still don't know what your high school biology teacher was
> measuring with a meter. And you apparently don't either, just that the
> meter was moving.

I may have known at the time but I don't remember it now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2012 5:18 PM, Bryan wrote:
> On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, "Julie > wrote:
>>

>> I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. But thanks to my
>> high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when we cut them
>> or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we might do to harvest
>> them or even make the fields ready to grow another crop.

> Hahahahahaha! Plants suffering! You're a nutcase. Maybe you had as
> kooky high school biology teacher.
>
> --Bryan

The idea that plants felt pain and responded to soothing words and even
kind thoughts was a common notion in the late 60s and 70s. That's what
drugs will do for you...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2012 7:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 16:51:59 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
>
>> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.

> Define "soon".
>
> It'll never happen. And we'll never prove it either way.

20 years. My guess is that it's going to be an offshoot of the research
on growing tissue for replacement organs and body parts. Any reason why
you think it won't happen or is this just a random contrary position?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2012 5:38 PM, Miche wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jan 1, 12:31 pm, > wrote:
>>> Stunning article from Australia. Learned a lot.
>>>
>>> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

>> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
>> Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
>> will be available only to rich folk.

> Maybe where you live. In New Zealand it's still likely to be resaonably
> easily available.

I think you are right about this.

>> What will meat without a soul
>> taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

> If you believe in souls.

Sorry for getting philosophical. I'll do my best to not let it happen
again. :-)

> Miche

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2012 4:28 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On Jan 1, 12:31 pm, > wrote:
>>> Stunning article from Australia. Learned a lot.
>>>
>>> http://theconversation.edu.au/orderi...eal-theres-mor...

>> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
>> Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
>> will be available only to rich folk. What will meat without a soul
>> taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
> algae. They were growing it and they said it can support life. Imagine
> that as your only food source. No thanks!

I just think that given the choice of eating icky green goo or starving
to death, you just might go for the goo. Just remember that "SOYLENT
GREEN IS... PEOPLE!" :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> VEGANS ARE
> EARTHWORM
> MURDERERS.

Don't forget the rodents. Once the plow goes through, the vultures
start showing up for all the squished rodents.

Oh, and just driving around kills bugs. Just look at the windshield.
It is impossible not to kill things even by accident.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:40:36 -1000, dsi1 > wrote:

>On 1/1/2012 7:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 16:51:59 -0800 (PST), dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.

>> Define "soon".
>>
>> It'll never happen. And we'll never prove it either way.

>20 years. My guess is that it's going to be an offshoot of the research
>on growing tissue for replacement organs and body parts. Any reason why
>you think it won't happen or is this just a random contrary position?

We've been eating laboratory meat for like a century... what do yoose
think SPAM is:
http://www.hormelfoods.com/about/history/default.aspx
Another Laboratory meat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillshire_Farm
Preground stupidmarket mystery meat comes fresh from Frankenstein
Labs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 7:35*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> We've been eating laboratory meat for like a century... what do yoose
> think SPAM is:http://www.hormelfoods.com/about/history/default.aspx

Many of us do not eat SPAM.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 11:20*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:

> >> I don't remember what it registered. I was 15 at the time. I'm 52
> >> now. I do know that he had us talk nicely to the plant and play
> >> classical music. When we did these things the meter didn't respond.
> >> Then he had us burn and cut the plant and play loud rock music.
> >> Before we did any of these things we had to announce what we were
> >> going to do. Such as... "I'm going to burn you!"

> >> Not only did the meter respond wildly when we did these things, but
> >> after a few days of doing this, the meter reacted just to our words.
> >> So it was obvious on some level that the plant could tell what was
> >> going to happen.

> > I'll bet it was measuring resistance to electrical current flow, or
> > maybe even minute electrical charges being produced by the plant. The
> > latter I've never heard of, but I'm not a plant physiologist either.

> > Aha! :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_p...8physiology%29

> > But since a plant does not contain nor possess any type of neural
> > system such as animals (and humans, since we are animals) have, I
> > think it's a far stretch to claim plants experience any type of pain
> > or suffering similar to the way animals (and humans) do.

> > And I still don't know what your high school biology teacher was
> > measuring with a meter. And you apparently don't either, just that the
> > meter was moving.

> I may have known at the time but I don't remember it now.

You seem to know very little about anything.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 1/1/2012 4:28 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> It's obvious to me that we'll be eating meat grown in labs soon.
>>> Growing it on the hoof is just too inefficient and slow. Real meat
>>> will be available only to rich folk. What will meat without a soul
>>> taste? Pretty alien would be my guess.

>> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
>> algae. They were growing it and they said it can support life. Imagine
>> that as your only food source. No thanks!

> I just think that given the choice of eating icky green goo or starving to
> death, you just might go for the goo. Just remember that "SOYLENT GREEN
> IS... PEOPLE!" :-)

The choice between vegan food and starving to death would pose a
considerably greater choice to me.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 8:46*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
> >> algae. *They were growing it and they said it can support life. *Imagine
> >> that as your only food source. *No thanks!

> > I just think that given the choice of eating icky green goo or starving to
> > death, you just might go for the goo. Just remember that "SOYLENT GREEN
> > IS... PEOPLE!" :-)

> The choice between vegan food and starving to death would pose a
> considerably greater choice to me.

Are you referring of the option of eating the vegans?

> Paul

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 8:04*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 1, 11:20*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > I may have known at the time but I don't remember it now.

> You seem to know very little about anything.
>
> --Bryan

Oh come on now Bryan! She knows the needle on the meter moved in
response to their voices!! This is irrefutable evidence that plants
are sentient sensitive being deserving of our respect and compassion!

I mean, given a few HUGE leaps! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On Jan 2, 8:46 am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
> >> algae. They were growing it and they said it can support life. Imagine
> >> that as your only food source. No thanks!

> > I just think that given the choice of eating icky green goo or starving
> > death, you just might go for the goo. Just remember that "SOYLENT GREEN
> > IS... PEOPLE!" :-)

> The choice between vegan food and starving to death would pose a
> considerably greater choice to me.

Are you referring of the option of eating the vegans?

Ewww. No, I meant their fake food products. If I were forced to live on
that crap I would inject Soy-rizo in my veins to end my suffering sooner.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 8:57*am, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jan 2, 8:46*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> > > I just think that given the choice of eating icky green goo or starving to
> > > death, you just might go for the goo. Just remember that "SOYLENT GREEN
> > > IS... PEOPLE!" :-)

> > The choice between vegan food and starving to death would pose a
> > considerably greater choice to me.

> Are you referring of the option of eating the vegans?

Vegans are very low fat. Meat's kinda stringy though.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 7:06*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Jan 2012 22:40:36 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

> >> Define "soon".

> >> It'll never happen. *And we'll never prove it either way.

> > 20 years. My guess is that it's going to be an offshoot of the research
> > on growing tissue for replacement organs and body parts. Any reason why
> > you think it won't happen or is this just a random contrary position?

> I'm not going to argue this with you. *It's not going to happen in 20
> or 50 or 100 years. *You're nu
>
> -sw

It's best not to argue the point. You're finally getting smart. Please
continue to not argue the point. It will save us both a lot of
valuable time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2012 1:06 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Jan 2, 7:06 am, > wrote:

>>> 20 years. My guess is that it's going to be an offshoot of the research
>>> on growing tissue for replacement organs and body parts. Any reason why
>>> you think it won't happen or is this just a random contrary position?

>> I'm not going to argue this with you. It's not going to happen in 20
>> or 50 or 100 years. You're nu
>>
>> -sw

> It's best not to argue the point. You're finally getting smart. Please
> continue to not argue the point. It will save us both a lot of
> valuable time.

You know it is already possible to grow bone when the jaw has
insufficient for titanium implants. Your own platelets are injected into
an inserted sterilized dead bone matrix.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 4:46*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> >> I was just watching a show on manna and they now think it is a form of
> >> algae. *They were growing it and they said it can support life. *Imagine
> >> that as your only food source. *No thanks!

> > I just think that given the choice of eating icky green goo or starving to
> > death, you just might go for the goo. Just remember that "SOYLENT GREEN
> > IS... PEOPLE!" :-)

> The choice between vegan food and starving to death would pose a
> considerably greater choice to me.
>
> Paul

I suppose. We could choose between steak and starving too but this
does not tell us anything
about what humans would do to survive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 12:12*pm, James Silverton >

> You know it is already possible to grow bone when the jaw has
> insufficient for titanium implants. Your own platelets are injected into
> an inserted sterilized dead bone matrix.

This makes no sense whatsoever. When the jaw has insufficient WHAT?
for titanium implants? And what does injecting your own platelets into
and inserted INTO WHAT? sterilized dead bone matrix do?

Please type in complete ideas.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2012 8:12 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> You know it is already possible to grow bone when the jaw has
> insufficient for titanium implants. Your own platelets are injected into
> an inserted sterilized dead bone matrix.

Yes, injecting primordial cells into a matrix of either synthetic or
natural material will probably be a popular way of creating organs or
body parts for transplant. I read that a guy has a trachea made in such
a manner. The part looks like it's made out of spam. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2012 1:41 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/2/2012 8:12 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> You know it is already possible to grow bone when the jaw has
>> insufficient for titanium implants. Your own platelets are injected into
>> an inserted sterilized dead bone matrix.
>>

> Yes, injecting primordial cells into a matrix of either synthetic or
> natural material will probably be a popular way of creating organs or
> body parts for transplant. I read that a guy has a trachea made in such
> a manner. The part looks like it's made out of spam. :-)

The initial matrix can be made with a 3-d printer and can thus be
customized for the recipient.

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2012 8:47 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 1/2/2012 1:41 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 1/2/2012 8:12 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>
>>> You know it is already possible to grow bone when the jaw has
>>> insufficient for titanium implants. Your own platelets are injected into
>>> an inserted sterilized dead bone matrix.
>>>

>> Yes, injecting primordial cells into a matrix of either synthetic or
>> natural material will probably be a popular way of creating organs or
>> body parts for transplant. I read that a guy has a trachea made in such
>> a manner. The part looks like it's made out of spam. :-)

> The initial matrix can be made with a 3-d printer and can thus be
> customized for the recipient.

That sounds like a nutty idea - good, I like nutty ideas. My
understanding is that the 3D printers use inkjet printer technology.
Maybe it would be possible to print me out a new heart. That would be
just great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2012 1:58 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 1/2/2012 8:47 AM, James Silverton wrote:

>>> Yes, injecting primordial cells into a matrix of either synthetic or
>>> natural material will probably be a popular way of creating organs or
>>> body parts for transplant. I read that a guy has a trachea made in such
>>> a manner. The part looks like it's made out of spam. :-)

>> The initial matrix can be made with a 3-d printer and can thus be
>> customized for the recipient.
>>

> That sounds like a nutty idea - good, I like nutty ideas. My
> understanding is that the 3D printers use inkjet printer technology.
> Maybe it would be possible to print me out a new heart. That would be
> just great.

Have a look at
http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_ata...an_kidney.html

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/2/2012 9:26 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> Have a look at
> http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_ata...an_kidney.html

The ability to design and create hearing aid shells - the part that fits
into your ear, using computers and 3D printers has revolutionized the
manufacturing and fitting of hearing aids. By using computers we can
make shells that will have enough room to fit the electronic components
and also provide a comfortable fit in the smallest package possible. I
can scan an ear impression and digitally send the info to the
manufacturer as email. What an amazing world this is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 12:40*am, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 1/1/2012 5:18 PM, Bryan wrote:
>
> > On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, "Julie > *wrote:

> >> I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. *But thanks to my
> >> high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when we cut them
> >> or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we might do to harvest
> >> them or even make the fields ready to grow another crop.

> > Hahahahahaha! *Plants suffering! *You're a nutcase. *Maybe you had as
> > kooky high school biology teacher.

> > --Bryan

> The idea that plants felt pain and responded to soothing words and even
> kind thoughts was a common notion in the late 60s and 70s. That's what
> drugs will do for you...

I believe Mythbusters had this on their show, with 4 or so different
greenhouses. They were all the same temp, etc. One had classical
music, another heavy metal, but can't remember the other 2- I'm sure
one was neutral to be used as a control. I seem to recall the heavy
metal one did best...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 2, 10:47Â*am, merryb > wrote:
> On Jan 2, 12:40Â*am, dsi1 > wrote:

> > > Hahahahahaha! Â*Plants suffering! Â*You're a nutcase. Â*Maybe you had as
> > > kooky high school biology teacher.

> > > --Bryan

> > The idea that plants felt pain and responded to soothing words and even
> > kind thoughts was a common notion in the late 60s and 70s. That's what
> > drugs will do for you...

> I believe Mythbusters had this on their show, with 4 or so different
> greenhouses. They were all the same temp, etc. One had classical
> music, another heavy metal, but can't remember the other 2- I'm sure
> one was neutral to be used as a control. I seem to recall the heavy
> metal one did best...

I like those results! Now they have to do a segment on the myth that
AC/DC is better than Metallica or Pantera for growing weed.

🎸œŒ
Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kuthe[_3_] View Post
Bryan wrote:
On Jan 1, 8:28 pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

I do know that animals suffer when we kill them for food. But thanks
to my high school biology class, I also know that plants suffer when
we cut them or pick them or burn them or any of the other things we
might do to harvest them or even make the fields ready to grow
another crop.

Hahahahahaha! *Plants suffering! *You're a nutcase. *Maybe you had a
kooky high school biology teacher.

He hooked up a meter to them to register their feelings.

A "feeling" meter, right? What is the SI unit of suffering?

I'm an electrical engineer as well as a registered nurse, Julie. Talk
to me!

John Kuthe...
sentimeters, duh!!

“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”-Jack Handey

I enjoy meat and vegetation. I think the dietary essence of humans is omnivorous. If you wanna eat just carrot sticks, have at it. But when you start thinking you're fit to jusdge someone with a different diet from yours, then you might wann check yo-seff.

People Eating Tasty Animals BigBadBubba General Cooking 5 24-11-2010 01:02 AM
video: kosher torture of animals (meat packing plant) [email protected] Vegan 11 24-09-2006 09:01 PM
Eating Animals hughhawthorne Vegan 16 21-02-2005 11:53 PM
Animals eat vegetarians ! ! ! ! ! ! Rudy Canoza Vegan 13 29-01-2005 03:38 AM
people for the eating of tasty animals - t shirt Woogeroo Barbecue 1 11-05-2004 02:43 PM