Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default one tomato plant not producing

MaryL wrote:

> This may sound strange, but I wonder if the blossoms on that plant are not
> being pollinated? I grew tomato plants inside my house one winter, and they
> produced. However, I had to pollinate them myself. I used a tiny paint
> brush and *very gently* touched it to one blossom, then another, etc.

I did that with my tomato plants one year too. Reason bees were not
there doing the job is because my balcony got too hot and no bees came
here. I learned the brush pollination technique from a book I read
where a fellow lived on a deserted atoll in the South Pacific for
several years. He brought vegetable seeds with him but there were no
insects there to pollinate.

Great book too. "An Island to Myself" by Tom Neale.

G.