Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_7_] Nancy Young[_7_] is offline

Default one tomato plant not producing

On 8/3/2014 12:49 AM, MaryL wrote:

> "Gus" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 8/2/2014 10:01 PM, Gus wrote:
>>> I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
>>> plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
>>> biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
>>> tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
>>> It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
>>> tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
>>> and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

>> It is biggest and healthiest because all of its enerfy is making
>> leaves, not fruit.

> What do you suggest? What Mary said? Cutting back some of it? It has
> plenty of flowers and has for last couple months.
>
> ~~~~~~
> My first thought was actually what Ed suggested, but I rejected that
> idea when I noticed that the plant has flowers. If it was all foliage,
> I would suspect too much nitrogen.

I'm following this with interest because I have the same
problem. My largest, most lush tomato plant had plenty of
flowers but no tomatoes. I've seen a couple tiny ones but
that's where it stands.

Finally the cherry tomatoes are coming in and the other
Mortgage Lifter has plenty of still green tomatoes, but the
other Mortgage Lifter is a bust.

nancy