Posted to rec.food.cooking
MaryL[_2_] MaryL[_2_] is offline

Default one tomato plant not producing

"Gus" wrote in message ...

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "Gus" wrote in message ...
>
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 8/2/2014 10:01 PM, Gus wrote:
>>> I have 8 plants and 7 all have had a decent number of tomatoes, but one
>>> plant has not had any. It is the plant that has grown the best and
>>> biggest and looks the healthiest. It's actually huge-- over 6 feet
>>> tall, and filled out well. Has had lots of flowers, but not one tomato.
>>> It's in the same spot as I had one last year that produced many
>>> tomatoes. I'm confused why this one plant is not growing any tomatoes,
>>> and it is the biggest and healthiest of the lot.

>> It is biggest and healthiest because all of its enerfy is making leaves,
>> not fruit.

> What do you suggest? What Mary said? Cutting back some of it? It has
> plenty of flowers and has for last couple months.
>
> ~~~~~~
> My first thought was actually what Ed suggested, but I rejected that idea
> when I noticed that the plant has flowers. If it was all foliage, I would
> suspect too much nitrogen.
>
> MaryL

I'm going to try hand pollinating some. Not had to do before. I have
some Qtips that I'll try using. I'm so ignorant I didn't even know
their are male and female flowers. In the past, I just planted some
plants and they all produced without doing much than watering once in a
while.

http://vegibee.com/index.php/hand-pollination

~~~~~~~~
Be *very* careful if you use a Q-tip. Flowers on tomato plants are very
small and delicate, so it would be easy to damage them. That's why I used a
tiny paintbrush (the smallest I could find--a cheap watercolor brush, as
suggested in the article you cited). It worked very well, and friends were
amazed when they saw tomatoes grown inside my house during the middle of
winter. The plants I used were actually cuttings taken from outdoor plants
when the season was almost over.

MaryL