Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My tomato plant has two little tomatoes already!

I am so excited!

:-)

Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
John Kuthe > wrote:

> I am so excited!
>
> :-)

Protect it from birds and squirrels! <g>

Congrats.

> Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
> just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
> chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
> throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
> cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
> molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
> sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!
>

> John Kuthe...

Sounds interesting.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 6:14*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *John Kuthe > wrote:
>
> > I am so excited!

> > :-)

> Protect it from birds and squirrels! <g>
>
> Congrats.

I probably should. My father made silos out of chicken wire to put
over tomato plants when I was a kid, and we has more perfect tomatoes
than we knew what to do with.

> > Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
> > just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
> > chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
> > throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
> > cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
> > molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
> > sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!

> > John Kuthe...

> Sounds interesting.

It's really good! I eat a bowl (cup or so) with either ham or sliced
up smoked sausage every AM for breakfast. Great fiber and protein, and
it tastes great!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
John Kuthe > wrote:

> On Jun 16, 6:14*pm, Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *John Kuthe > wrote:
> >
> > > I am so excited!

> > > :-)

> > Protect it from birds and squirrels! <g>
> >
> > Congrats.

> I probably should. My father made silos out of chicken wire to put
> over tomato plants when I was a kid, and we has more perfect tomatoes
> than we knew what to do with.

Bird netting works too!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> I am so excited!
>
> :-)
>
> Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
> just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
> chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
> throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
> cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
> molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
> sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!
>

> John Kuthe...

I'm completely jealous! I put out six plants, two beef stake, and four
"early girls". All six plants are looking under the weater, and only a
few flowers between them. I think I purchased them when they'd gotten
too leggy in the nursery containers, and maybe didn't take well to being
transplanted.

Next two days will tell as it's supposed to be overcast/rain but mostly
mild. If they survive till Saturday, I may take pity on them and go buy
some miracle grow :-)

BTW, the beans sound tasty.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 6:59*pm, Bob Muncie > wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
> > I am so excited!

> > :-)

> > Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
> > just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
> > chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
> > throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
> > cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
> > molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
> > sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!

> > John Kuthe...

> I'm completely jealous! I put out six plants, two beef stake, and four
> "early girls". All six plants are looking under the weater, and only a
> few flowers between them. I think I purchased them when they'd gotten
> too leggy in the nursery containers, and maybe didn't take well to being
> transplanted.

I grow mine from seed, but I do start them indoors under a grow light:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1552229...7616033377060/

If they've gotten leggy, plant them deeper. If they lack flowers,
don't give them nitrogen rich fertilizer.

> Next two days will tell as it's supposed to be overcast/rain but mostly
> mild. If they survive till Saturday, I may take pity on them and go buy
> some miracle grow :-)

A little phosphorus might do the trick.

> BTW, the beans sound tasty.
>
> Bob

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> I am so excited!
>
> :-)

I know the feeling. My patio tomatoes are bearing fruit. Just picked 4
more of them tonight. The cherry tomatoes are all over the place. I'm
getting a half-dozen or so a day and there are thousands of green ones
waiting to get ripe. The grape tomatoes I planted are the biggest grape
tomatoes I've ever seen. They look like small Romas. I guess everything
*is* bigger in Texas <g>

The peppers are smallish. I water but we've not had any rain in weeks.
The herbs are wonderful.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>> I am so excited!
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
>> just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
>> chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
>> throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
>> cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
>> molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
>> sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!
>>

>> John Kuthe...

> I'm completely jealous! I put out six plants, two beef stake, and four
> "early girls". All six plants are looking under the weater, and only a
> few flowers between them. I think I purchased them when they'd gotten
> too leggy in the nursery containers, and maybe didn't take well to being
> transplanted.
>
> Next two days will tell as it's supposed to be overcast/rain but mostly
> mild. If they survive till Saturday, I may take pity on them and go buy
> some miracle grow :-)

Give those poor, starving plants the Miracle-Gro now! You'll see them
perk up really fast. Don't forget to feed the leaves, too.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>> I am so excited!
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Just made another batch of my baked beans too! Sorry, no exact recipe,
>>> just wing it by rinsing and soaking overnight 3.5 bags of black beans,
>>> chick peas, and kidney beans, then cooking for an hour or so in water,
>>> throw out the cook water and add water to cover beans, 4 or 5 bouillon
>>> cubes, 12oz of tomato paste, some brown sugar, cayenne, paprika,
>>> molasses, bay leaves, and 2 huge chopped red onions and 5 or 6 garlics
>>> sweated in 5 thick strips of bacon's grease, then the bacon too! YUM!
>>>

>>> John Kuthe...

>> I'm completely jealous! I put out six plants, two beef stake, and four
>> "early girls". All six plants are looking under the weater, and only a
>> few flowers between them. I think I purchased them when they'd gotten
>> too leggy in the nursery containers, and maybe didn't take well to
>> being transplanted.
>>
>> Next two days will tell as it's supposed to be overcast/rain but
>> mostly mild. If they survive till Saturday, I may take pity on them
>> and go buy some miracle grow :-)

> Give those poor, starving plants the Miracle-Gro now! You'll see them
> perk up really fast. Don't forget to feed the leaves, too.

Thanks Janet. If they are still trying to swim on Saturday, I'll throw
them a life jacket :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>I am so excited!
>
> :-)

My cucs popped their heads out of the soil today. That was exciting. One
pepper plant has tiny peppers on it. Must remove half of them, but they are
so cute.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:52:58 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm completely jealous! I put out six plants, two beef stake, and four
>>> "early girls". All six plants are looking under the weater, and only a
>>> few flowers between them. I think I purchased them when they'd gotten
>>> too leggy in the nursery containers, and maybe didn't take well to
>>> being transplanted.
>>>
>>> Next two days will tell as it's supposed to be overcast/rain but
>>> mostly mild. If they survive till Saturday, I may take pity on them
>>> and go buy some miracle grow :-)

>> Give those poor, starving plants the Miracle-Gro now! You'll see them
>> perk up really fast. Don't forget to feed the leaves, too.

> Thanks Janet. If they are still trying to swim on Saturday, I'll throw
> them a life jacket :-)

are you some kind of nietzschean gardener or something?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

>>> Give those poor, starving plants the Miracle-Gro now! You'll see them
>>> perk up really fast. Don't forget to feed the leaves, too.

>> Thanks Janet. If they are still trying to swim on Saturday, I'll throw
>> them a life jacket :-)

> are you some kind of nietzschean gardener or something?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Lol... No, but I am the type that will leave an injured animal in the
wild alone and let nature take it's course. That is the way I was
raised. But I think Friedrich would approve.

In this case, the tomatoes have every reason to live well, prosper, and
yield lots of tasty fruits for me :-)

If' they are still alive but struggling by Saturday, I will help them.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> I am so excited!

I have five plants in my neighbor-shocking frontyard patch. Four of
them were the standard pack of small plants. They're at the bloom
stage. I added one I saw at the hardware store that was farther along.
It has two tomatoes growing, one about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.

We've had tons of rain, so everything is growing like crazy. The lawn
is busy feeding the neighbor kid's guitar fund.

Brian

--
Day 135 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:57:52 -0400, Bob Muncie wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Thanks Janet. If they are still trying to swim on Saturday, I'll throw
>>> them a life jacket :-)

>> are you some kind of nietzschean gardener or something?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Lol... No, but I am the type that will leave an injured animal in the
> wild alone and let nature take it's course. That is the way I was
> raised. But I think Friedrich would approve.
>
> In this case, the tomatoes have every reason to live well, prosper, and
> yield lots of tasty fruits for me :-)
>
> If' they are still alive but struggling by Saturday, I will help them.
>
> Bob

as long as they are deserving.

your pal,
blake